Old 09-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: Magic Moment
Vessel Model: Mariner Orient 38 Euro
Upgrade to Raritan Elegance freshwater head

All summer long the first few toilet flushes after being away from the boat all week long really stunk up the boat with the smell of stagnate, dead critter infested water coming from the raw water intake hose. We decided to make the change to a fresh water unit, and after reading numerous blogs and reviews we went with the Raritan Elegance model, with the SmartFlush control panel. This is not the cheapest electric toilet option, but with Defenderís Boat Show discounted price we purchased this highly rated model.
The DIY Instillation took me most of a day due to the tight working space and the need to attend to the old Jabscoís mounting and discharge line holes. Once plumbed and wired the first push on the panel resulted in a rapid flush with a self-contained macerator pump discharge being reasonable quiet.
The installation directions are straight forward, and with a little care in marking for the mounting holes, wires and hoses this project is a relative snap. I give this project a 6 for difficulty and a 10 for satisfaction once completed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0173 (2).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	68695  

seabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
Guru

City: East Coast
It's supposed to be the best so I expect you'll be happy with it. You might want to reposition the toilet paper unless everyone sits to do their business.

WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Chesapeake Bay,Middle River,Md.
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
Imagine the difference we experienced after the install of a Raritan Elegance after having the orginial Traveler 1980 vintage .The SmartFlush control offers water saving and flush options not found in other heads. Ditto #10 rated satisfaction,
David Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Ak
Vessel Name: Nadezdha
Vessel Model: 1972 Beaver 36
What are the L & W dimensions of that bathroom space if you don't mind me asking?
BrotherDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The head's raised deck section where I mounted the actual toilet is 24.5 inches in width and 16 inches from front to back.

That 24.5 inch width is also the width from the head door to the front of the cabinet holding the sink in front of the toilet. The length of the head floor from the bulkhead behind the toilet to the shower stall is likely 45 inches or so as a guess..
Old 09-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks, that looks great.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #7
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Thanks, that looks great.
If you are considering purchasing an Elegance, be aware that it is available in two different heights. The shorter unit targets raised platforms while the taller for floors without a toilet platform. Both are available for flush mounting against a wall.

I installed my mine about 4-5 years ago. Great toilet. I elected to forgo the microcontrolled flusher and use a simple flush switch. I just cannot convince myself that flushing a toilet requires a microcontroller/microprocessor.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes, good points and thanks for the comment. I will use the simple flush switch as well. Now I see how nicely the unit fits into a 24.5x16-inch space.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I had initially intended to purchase the push the button to flush model as I am certain it is absolutely adequate. However, with Defender's Boat show sale the price difference to upgrade was so minimal I opted for the four button SmartFlush electronic control model. I now find I truly like the options that allow me to select a small or large flush, and the just add water or just flush buttons are also useful to help conserve water.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yeah, if the price difference is small it's worthwhile to get the advanced controls.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #11
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Yeah, if the price difference is small it's worthwhile to get the advanced controls.
I did ours last year and swapped to the same model, but we went with SmartFlush control. Way better than our old Vac-U-Flush by a couple of touchdowns. I like the idea that the service parts are in the commode and not, in our case, VERY difficult to reach. (Bess likes to say that they laid the keel then set in the vac-u-flush tanks, then built the boat around them). SUPER happy with the outcome.