Updating the Head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
Our aft head had a 2012 Vacuflush, a very nice system but not ideal for us since it was at the opposite end of the boat from the holding tank. It worked fine, but the 25+ foot hose run was too long for the pump and the last six feet were up hill (!) before it reached the tank fitting. Our boat also has a fairly small (40-gallon) holding tank and I wanted to reduce the “contributions” to it while cruising whenever possible.

So, with the invaluable guidance of Ms Peggie Hall, I finally removed the VF and installed a Marine Elegance and Purasan Marine Sanitation Device in its place. I eliminated the long run of 1.5” hose (with it’s uphill section), so no more waste collecting where it shouldn’t be. We’ll use the aft head on a trial basis where treated discharges are permitted and use the forward head (another new Marine Elegance, still connected to the holding tank) where discharges are forbidden. There is room now in the aft head for a small holding tank if we decide we need one in the future.

I also used this opportunity to replumb the drain line from the head sink. For some reason, it discharged to a shower sump in the engine room—even though it’s well above the water line and next to the kitchen sink drain. They’re now plumbed together and discharge via a common through hull.

I still need to wire the new equipment in and connect the smaller hoses, but I really like how it all fits and the room we gained under the sink. The other major take-away is that Marine plumbers really earn their money. A couple of days on my knees, contorted like a pretzel was plenty!

(Notes: the top photo is the former Vacuflush install; second from the bottom is the Purasan with inlet and discharge hoses routed through the wall. Green tray was to catch drips/there weren’t any :dance:.)

Attachments

• EC43704D-9370-4B7B-B641-0EB97F56AE24.jpg
    EC43704D-9370-4B7B-B641-0EB97F56AE24.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 9F08717E-304C-4EAF-9D10-6A2258C3DF9A.jpg
    9F08717E-304C-4EAF-9D10-6A2258C3DF9A.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 2D043720-BFFC-4DB9-A995-18B482C08874.jpg
    2D043720-BFFC-4DB9-A995-18B482C08874.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 2372B80C-E2DD-41AA-857F-343C2B01CCA0.jpg
    2372B80C-E2DD-41AA-857F-343C2B01CCA0.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 3A3071B5-9865-400C-AAD2-7DF98544907A.jpg
    3A3071B5-9865-400C-AAD2-7DF98544907A.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 117
  • BF7A2DBD-5056-4234-B2CB-948B2B2945E6.jpg
    BF7A2DBD-5056-4234-B2CB-948B2B2945E6.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Looks great Angus99, I like the way you used pvc pipe vs hose. Also the quality that Defever builds into the boat. Hard to believe the head sink was not plumbed to gravity drain overboard, that’s a plus on our Manatee no sumps. We upgraded last year to the Elegance head and love it.
Your beautiful Defever had me going to yatchworld and window shopping the 44 Defevers. PM me if you ever want to sell yours.
Bill

Last edited:
Looks great Angus99, I like the way you used pvc pipe vs hose. Also the quality that Defever builds into the boat. Hard to believe the head sink was not plumbed to gravity drain overboard, that’s a plus on our Manatee no sumps. We upgraded last year to the Elegance head and love it.
Your beautiful Defever had me going to yatchworld and window shopping the 44 Defevers. PM me if you ever want to sell yours.
Bill

Thanks, Bill. We should be passing through Scottsboro (where my wife’s family used to live) next spring/summer on our way to Chattanooga; maybe we can link up?

I was unable to label the pix, so—to clarify—the photo with the PVC was the Vacuflush system. A nice install, but it took up a lot of room. The pix showing the Purasan labels are the new install and the hose runs are through the cabinet wall so not visible. They’re also extremely short—maybe 2.5 feet between the commode and the Purasan. Since the runs are too short and tight for PVC, I used Headhunter/Great White hose. Easy to install in tight places; I just hope it’s as impermeable as it’s purported to be. (I just added notes to clarify.)

My wife has a SUPER-sensitive nose and let it be known that any head odor would limit her time on the boat. Just getting the old stuff out of there and installing a fresh water system seems to have eliminated whatever traces of odor she was picking up.

Last edited:
Angus

Continued good work on your part. Did I catch that your head system was raw water now converted to fresh? Do you have anti siphon loops?

Nice plumbing work, I too just installed a Marine Elegance a few days ago. I switched to the 1 inch discharge line as suggested in some of the forums for this unit. The factory discharge on the toilet is also 1 inch. As explained to me the idea is that waste is moved out of the line quicker and cannot settle in the smaller diameter hose. I sure hope this was not a really bad idea.

Angus

Continued good work on your part. Did I catch that your head system was raw water now converted to fresh? Do you have anti siphon loops?

Thank you, sir! I was really pleasantly surprised that all the Purasan gear fit so neatly under the sink . . . after staring at it and measuring for half a day.

The aft head with Vacuflush was/is freshwater. The fwd Groco K head is raw water, but I’m converting it to fresh with the installation of the second Marine Elegance. Both are below the WL and have vented loops.

The last piece of this project—again per Peggie—will be a second vent on the holding tank and increasing the hose diameter on both vents.

A happy wife = a happy life. :)

Nice plumbing work, I too just installed a Marine Elegance a few days ago. I switched to the 1 inch discharge line as suggested in some of the forums for this unit. The factory discharge on the toilet is also 1 inch. As explained to me the idea is that waste is moved out of the line quicker and cannot settle in the smaller diameter hose. I sure hope this was not a really bad idea.

That should work fine, based on my talks with Raritan. The discharge fittings on my MEs were sized to handle 1 or 1.5-inch. I went with the larger size due to the extremely short discharge run—maybe 6 feet from Purasan to through hull—and the 1.5-inch seacock that I’d previously installed. I hope that wasn’t a bad idea.

Thank you, sir! I was really pleasantly surprised that all the Purasan gear fit so neatly under the sink . . . after staring at it and measuring for half a day.

The aft head with Vacuflush was/is freshwater. The fwd Groco K head is raw water, but I’m converting it to fresh with the installation of the second Marine Elegance. Both are below the WL and have vented loops.

The last piece of this project—again per Peggie—will be a second vent on the holding tank and increasing the hose diameter on both vents.

A happy wife = a happy life. :)

May I suggest, if the fwd head is the spare head, leave it just incase the hightec head goes belly up or someone decides NO sanitary overboard regardless of the technology.

May I suggest, if the fwd head is the spare head, leave it just incase the hightec head goes belly up or someone decides NO sanitary overboard regardless of the technology.

Thanks, that’s actually the plan. We’re changing commodes to Marine Elegance in both heads, but the forward head will continue to use the holding tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom