U-TEC Refrigeration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
Anyone have a link to a U-TEC instruction manual or site? I have a U-TEC eutectic cold plate fridge, and separate freezer, served by a mains current (240v) powered compressor. Both work well.
The electrics side of the fridge, namely 2 small air distribution fans and the interior light, don`t work. A warning on the control/thermostat box near the light says turn everything off before opening it, dangerous voltage inside , but the non working int. light looks 12v, as do the computer style fans. I need to start tracing what wires (if any) go where, a Manual or diagram could be useful.

I'm not sure what the unit looks like but any other panels you could pull? Sometimes there is a sticker or diagram somewhere with a basic schematic.

Since none of the low voltage items work I would chase after the main distribution area if they have a small sub panel of fuses or a power brick to go from 240v to 12v, maybe a failure occurred in a central location feeding all of the low voltage devices.

Thanks Derek, I will pull the panel next time I`m onboard, and also look for wires going to the fridge cabinet. Being eutectic, 90% of the time the remote located compressor is not running and the generator is likely to be off, so it makes sense the light and fans are 12v supplied separately 24/7, maybe via a non fridge specific circuit, rather than being 240v converted to 12v. I can`t get zapped investigating if both genset and shorepower are both off.

Probably the best move to go in disconnected for safety. You may end up having to energize the circuit to do some voltage checks internally though.

I can't speak from experience but many of the multi-voltage devices I run into are completely based on the lowest denominator which is 12v. Regardless of what AC voltage you feed it, the power supply always converts down to the 12v DC. I would look at what voltage specs are on the compressor as well. If it's 12v DC, then everything probably leads back to a power source conversion issue or the issue is further downstream. Could be that the ground for light and fans is bad. I would do more poking around with a flash light to see if anything obvious is missing or burnt.

Fairly sure the compressor, which is overkill (designed for shop refrigeration), is all mains voltage. It recently had the freezer at -27C. But, as the warning doesn`t fit with 12v,I will tread v carefully. Wish I had a Manual for the thing. I suspect the cabinet and fittings are an Aussie product. The current 4yo compressor is Italian made.

Hi Bruce,

Not sure if this is of any help but anr`t bulbs stamped with the voltage. I know they are in the auto world.

David.

Hi Bruce,

Not sure if this is of any help but anr`t bulbs stamped with the voltage. I know they are in the auto world.

David.
David,The bulb is a festoon, pointed double ender type. I looked/could not find the expected markings, but can`t imagine one of those being 240v, certainly looks automotive. But, why the voltage warning? I`ll take a careful look in a couple of days.

A fridge expert in Victoria (state) who I emailed, says U-TEC closed down a while back,and he forgot to update his advert. Looks like Manuals/diagrams won`t happen but it can`t be too complex.

Hi Bruce...

On the thread it was mentioned to check with a tester to see if circuits were
O K........ I was just suggesting that if the inside bulbs were marked 12 v it would be safe to check them without running into any 240 v there.

I am not great with elec things and your suggestiion about disconnecting the shore power would allow you to check all other circuits on their own.

Good Luck and play safe.

Regards,

David.

Thanks David, good thought, and see my post 7 above. I hope Qld. weather is better than ours, rained most of Easter, and keeps wanting to rain.

If it is not computer controlled, it really can't be more than a set of switches and loads. I would imagine the compressor runs off a pressure switch tied to a thermostat and the lights on a door position switch. I would be looking at any data tags on these for voltage or maybe even part numbers that you can cross reference on the Al Gore Interweb to see the specs.

"But, why the voltage warning? I`ll take a careful look in a couple of days."

Probably for the same reason your radio is stickered to not take it into the bathtub.

Liars for Hire ,,

Back
Top Bottom