Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-22-2015, 11:20 PM   #21
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Maybe one belt had been broken for quite some time? Failure of remaining belt triggered a good look at both sides.
But if the belt on one engine had been broken for quite some before this incident the engine with the broken belt would have over heated a quite some time ago.
__________________
Advertisement

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:25 PM   #22
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post

The stock Yanmar instruments don't have gauges for temp, or oil pressure, or battery; just warning lights and alarms. I'd like to install actual gauges so I could monitor myself.
No gauges at all!? The boats builder should have known better. Talk about taking the cheap route.

Yeah, get some gauges ASAP.
__________________

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:24 AM   #23
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,530
I'd like to install actual gauges so I could monitor myself.

Only takes a bit longer to install real mechanical gauges.

When running your engine needs no electric , why should the gauges not be similat?

The Murphy switch gauge cost little more , and can ring a bell when the reading varies from your preset.

Better than a hired engineer , as they never sleep on the job.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:43 AM   #24
Guru
 
LarryM's Avatar
 
City: League City, TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
No gauges at all!? The boats builder should have known better. Talk about taking the cheap route.

Yeah, get some gauges ASAP.
Yanmar definitely makes gauge panels for all of their engines. There are several levels of instrumentation available, from a simple tach with lights, to full instrument panels with VDO instruments and senders. There are also engine-specific third-party panels available from firms like Mack Boring.

What the builder chose for instrumentation is all about economics.

Here is an example of a factory C-series twin-engine panel. While not inexpensive, it would have been available to the builder when they specified Yanmar power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yanmar Panel-800.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	44880  
__________________
Larry
M/V Pelago
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #25
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,371
What good would gauges do if preventative maintenance is not performed per book? On belt driven water pumps some slippage may occur before failure, triggering a Murphy gauge as FF suggests, or the Yanmar alarm as occurred.

The owner did catch the belt failure via the alarms. With only a gauge and no alarm maybe engine failure would have occurred

I can certainly see where a temperature gauge will creep up as HX fouls, but a belt failure leading to a water pump shutdown, I don't know. Love those gear driven pumps where only the alternator stops if a belt fails.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:08 AM   #26
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
What good would gauges do if preventative maintenance is not performed per book? On belt driven water pumps some slippage may occur before failure, triggering a Murphy gauge as FF suggests, or the Yanmar alarm as occurred.

The owner did catch the belt failure via the alarms. With only a gauge and no alarm maybe engine failure would have occurred

I can certainly see where a temperature gauge will creep up as HX fouls, but a belt failure leading to a water pump shutdown, I don't know. Love those gear driven pumps where only the alternator stops if a belt fails.
Obviously nobody is saying you should only have gauges with no alarms. But as you pointed out, with gauges at least you have a chance of seeing the temps rising before you reach the alarm point. Even in the case of the belt failing.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:17 AM   #27
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

When running your engine needs no electric , why should the gauges not be similat?
I don't believe that is true anymore with many/most modern diesel engines.

Not to say that mechanical gauges aren't a better option than electric ones.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #28
Guru
 
City: gulf coast
Country: pinellas
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,199
If the boat is still in charter service gauges wont be as helpful as a loud alarm
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #29
Veteran Member
 
City: Texas
Country: US
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
How in the world would both belts break at the same time????????????
Shrapnel from the first belt jettisons the 2nd.
jb cruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:04 AM   #30
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,325
Just a personal observation...our 4JH2 doesn't eat cogged V belts like it used to chew through regular smooth V belts.
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" Murray Minchin
MurrayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #31
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
Greetings,
Mr. jb. Shrapnel? Must be a helluva hard belt with a massive velocity to penetrate two hulls (catamaran).
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #32
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Just a personal observation...our 4JH2 doesn't eat cogged V belts like it used to chew through regular smooth V belts.

I've already gone through one smooth vbelt in about 250 hours. I will try the cogged version.

Do you use a particular brand?
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #33
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I've already gone through one smooth vbelt in about 250 hours. I will try the cogged version.

Do you use a particular brand?
Nope, just whatever NAPA had on hand that was the right size when I made the switch...will check next time at the boat.
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" Murray Minchin
MurrayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
David Hughes's Avatar
 
City: Marietta
Country: US
Vessel Name: True Love
Vessel Model: Leopard 37 PC
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. jb. Shrapnel? Must be a helluva hard belt with a massive velocity to penetrate two hulls (catamaran).

Those new depleted uranium armor-piercing belts! : )
__________________
David Hughes
2009 Leopard 37PC- Cape Coral, FL
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #35
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
If the boat is still in charter service gauges wont be as helpful as a loud alarm
I beg to differ Bruce. When I ran a charter company quite a number of times I had a charter catch an over heating engine before the alarm went off by watching the gauges.

But alarms are a very good thing, chartering on not.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #36
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,265
Hope to avoid such a problem by having a marine-engine mechanic inspect and service the engine annually. It's not cheap, however. The mechanic enjoys servicing my single 4-cylinder JD. Easy access from both sides and above. All other JDs he works on are 6-cylinder.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:17 PM   #37
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,570
The failure says a lot about the quality of the belts. Not only did they outlast their advised working life by over 150%, but consistency of quality saw them fail at virtually the same time.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:10 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
David Hughes's Avatar
 
City: Marietta
Country: US
Vessel Name: True Love
Vessel Model: Leopard 37 PC
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
The failure says a lot about the quality of the belts. Not only did they outlast their advised working life by over 150%, but consistency of quality saw them fail at virtually the same time.

I agree Bruce!
__________________
David Hughes
2009 Leopard 37PC- Cape Coral, FL
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:11 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
David Hughes's Avatar
 
City: Marietta
Country: US
Vessel Name: True Love
Vessel Model: Leopard 37 PC
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Hope to avoid such a problem by having a marine-engine mechanic inspect and service the engine annually. It's not cheap, however. The mechanic enjoys servicing my single 4-cylinder JD. Easy access from both sides and above. All other JDs he works on are 6-cylinder.

Exactly the plan from now on Mark! Can't trust that any maintenance was done before my ownership 3 months ago. Gonna do it all now.
__________________
David Hughes
2009 Leopard 37PC- Cape Coral, FL
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:39 PM   #40
Guru
 
motion30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 740
Ilge.bl OTE=N4712; 372654]I must ask what do bilge weasels do?[/QUOTE]

well there are two different kind of BiIge weasels there is the soft bilge weasel who feeds on the belts and rubber hoses and sometimes electrical wires. Then there is the hard Bilge weasel. , they attack components like exhaust manifolds, cylinder head and sometimes alternators and water pumps. best to have a good exterminator check your bIlge, although the exterminator is expensive often costing Several thousand dollars an hour. On a rare occasion the soft Bilge weasel mates with the hard Bilge weasel 6 weeks after birth your boat sinks
__________________

motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012