Trim Tabs on Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jnvoss

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Gray Eagle
Vessel Make
1985 35" CHB
I recently purchased a 1985 35' CHB and it has trim tabs. I am thinking the next time I have her pulled, I will take the trim tabs off. Anyone see any reason to leave them on. One has already fallen off before I bought. One thing I do know, tabs or not, she is not going to ever plane up!:nonono: Thanks, James

Trim tabs are useful on a semi displacement hulsl with enough hp to get it up to 12kts or so. If you don't have enough power, or you never cruise that fast, then you don't need trim tabs.

David

I recently purchased a 1985 35' CHB and it has trim tabs. I am thinking the next time I have her pulled, I will take the trim tabs off. Anyone see any reason to leave them on. One has already fallen off before I bought. One thing I do know, tabs or not, she is not going to ever plane up!:nonono: Thanks, James

Hard to say...if they are really big and that is one of those trawlers that may get run at 8 knots...the tabs might be useful in minimizing list...but I doubt much in the way in fore/aft trim.

We had trim tabs on our planing boats, but I don't see how they'd even work on a displacement hull boat that has no water plane to trim against.

Ah!! They're fin stabilizers that were improperly installed. :lol:

A trawler without trim tabs is like a fish without a garage.

SD

I have trim tabs on my 7-8 knot trawler. I have a very large sister-in-law that sometimes sits to one side or the other and the tabs help a lot.

I have tabs on my Californian 34 LRC. They came on it when I bought it. They do serve a useful purpose getting it on plane. It will do a bit over 20 with twin 200 Perkins. Being a cheap bast#%$, I seldom run it that speed. At 8 to 10 they make very little difference fore and aft. But they do help with a list either from several BIG passengers or a side wind. Would I have paid for them if they didn't come with the boat? No, I doubt it. Would I remove them now that they are there? Hell no.

My planing hull has them and needs them. Trawler, not so much. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

As to the OP's question, I can't see where you'd miss them at all.

I have them on my 390 Mainship. Gives me a place to put more zincs! thats about all
John
2003 MS 390

I installed them on the Camano I owned, they were useful on that boat. I would not bother installing them on my Monk 36.
I think Capt Craig said it well in post #7

Pineapple Girl and I have the same boat and she has them, while I do not. Mr Pineapple Girl says they do help to adjust the angle of the boat.

A trawler without trim tabs is like a fish without a garage.

SD

A "true" trawler is incapable of exceeding hull-speed (see Chapman), so trim tabs are irrelevant (unless one has an express cruiser, which isn't a "trawler.") So, the relevancy of trim tabs is dependent upon the boat.

Pineapple Girl and I have the same boat and she has them, while I do not. Mr Pineapple Girl says they do help to adjust the angle of the boat.

There go Matt and Jennifer. It's obvious they prefer operating from the flying bridge.

232323232%7Ffp54366%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3949598%3A89336nu0mrj

they also reduce roll when anchored, not as good as stabilisers but better than nothing:)

At speeds of 7 knots and above... I enjoy our boat's responsiveness to its trim tabs' similar or independent attitude adjustments. I like to fully utilize our Tolly's trim tabs’ capabilities. Regarding weight adjustment on board... they work well for beam trim at speeds just below hull speed through to 22 knots at WOT (they accomplish no beam trim at real low speeds). They also work wonderfully regarding fore to aft planing trim. While boat is on plane at any speed their adjustment is notable for slightly increasing rpm as well as a small %age of increased knots on GPS readings.

At speeds of 7 knots and above... I enjoy our boat's responsiveness to its trim tabs ...

So, above hull-speed, trim tabs are worthwhile Don't understand, however, trim tabs' alleged effectiveness while anchored.

So, above hull-speed, trim tabs are worthwhile Don't understand, however, trim tabs' alleged effectiveness while anchored.

While anchored... They might work well for occassionally bumping top of your head on when surfacing too quickly for breath of air while self-servicing zincs, blades and the like! :facepalm: :D

Don't understand, however, trim tabs' alleged effectiveness while anchored.

I found them effective while anchored when used as a ladder step to push my butt outta the water and onto the swim step. That is until some correspondence with Mr. Hop Car cured me of that little problem.

they also reduce roll when anchored, not as good as stabilisers but better than nothing:)

I was checking out trim tabs in the yard after I found out Pineapple Girl had them and I did not(Trim Tab Envy, a recognized illness) and the ones I saw were maybe 14" by 8". I can't imagine that having any effect/affect on a boat at anchor.

You may want to look at the current discussion about trim tabs, and fixed modifications to similar effect, on the Island Gypsy thread.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom