Trim Tab Repair Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
Asking for a friend who has come to me for ideas.

43' Riviera has a split in the Starboard side trim tab hose. The split is above the waterline, but hose continues below waterline to piston. To correctly fix it, will need to pull boat and replace hose. Problem is the lift is booked for next couple weeks.
Thought is to cut hose and insert a steel tube (if he can find the right size) and put on a couple hose clamps for a temp fix, all of this from the dink.

Anyone done this, or have better idea?

Thanks

Assuming they are Bennets like mine...try taking the two pins off (one each end) the hydraulic arm, bring to surface and remove old and connect new hose. These are normally self bleeding, as in go full up, full down three or four times, while ensuring reservoir stays full and you are done.

Again, assuming they are Bennett, if there is access to the transom where the hydraulic lines come through there is a compression fitting there. No need to haul the boat to fix a leaking line if you have access to the fitting at the transom on the inside.

#16 is the compression nut, in some installations you can't access this fitting from outside the boat, it must be done from the inside. In some cases Bennett supplied pre connected actuators and in that case the actuator would need to come off because the compression fitting is right against the actuator upper hinge (#18)

Just re-read this OP, from the dink?? The hose is accessible from the dink?? Sounds like Boat-leveler trim tabs, they have external hoses. You should be able to replace at the actuator and just push back into the boat through the clamshell fitting that they use??

Bennett Boat Leveler

Attachments

• 91002344.jpg
    91002344.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 232
  • Master-Image-Feature-Main-Sized.jpg
    Master-Image-Feature-Main-Sized.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 245
Max if you want to ask a real expert on the subject go onto The Hull Truth web site forum and ask Tom the Tab Man. He works for Bennett and has the best knowledge of anyone I know about trim tabs and is very helpful. I'd suggest you get the brand and model of the tabs and a diagram or photo of the install if you want an accurate answer from him.

Actually I'm here now, a friend put up the Tabman signal last night!

As Keysdisease points out they are likely Boat Levelers. Some of the older versions just used hose clamps. The exposed tubing is a weak point and I would suggest changing both sides when you haul.

You might be able to temporarily fix it using your idea, but the back pressure can be pretty high on the system. So double clamping might be a good idea.

Or better yet, as Keysdisease suggests, if you can remove the hinge pins and get the actuator above the water you can remove, you could replace the hose properly and be done with it!

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

Tabman, welcome to Trawler Forum. It will be good to have your knowledge available to us.

Yes, they are boat leveler's. The tab is located more under the hull in a recess, different than a typical Bennett style that is attached to the bottom edge of transom.
Like this:

5849477_20160720105224160_1_XLARGE.jpg

Actually I'm here now, a friend put up the Tabman signal last night!

As Keysdisease points out they are likely Boat Levelers. Some of the older versions just used hose clamps. The exposed tubing is a weak point and I would suggest changing both sides when you haul.

You might be able to temporarily fix it using your idea, but the back pressure can be pretty high on the system. So double clamping might be a good idea.

Or better yet, as Keysdisease suggests, if you can remove the hinge pins and get the actuator above the water you can remove, you could replace the hose properly and be done with it!

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

Welcome aboard, Tabman! Glad to have your expertise for Bennett Trim Tab issues. Feel free to introduce yourself to those who don't know you in the Welcome Mat section.

You may be able to drive the pin (12730) out of the upper hinge and disconnect from the tab and bring the actuator above the waterline. This may allow you to replace the hose and do a correct repair.

:socool:

Yes, they are boat leveler's. The tab is located more under the hull in a recess, different than a typical Bennett style that is attached to the bottom edge of transom.
Like this:

Attachments

• Boat levelor.jpg
    Boat levelor.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 168

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom