Trawler Mast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisL

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Morning Star
Vessel Make
Defever 41
Hi All,

I purchased a 1978 Defever and the previous owner removed the mast to paint and to add a new hand rail around the back of the fly bridge. He never re-installed and over time he lost track of it after a few years.

Does anyone have any ideas how to obtain one or even build a trawler mast?

Chris

Bent sailboat masts make pretty good and inexpensive donors for the cause. Ask around marinas and boatyards. If you haven't found a suitable donor run a mast wanted ad on Craigslist. I've found two masts through Craigslist wanted ads in the last 3 years perfect for my need at the time.

Aluminum pipe, powder coated. Had one on my Grand Banks that someone had made, worked beautifully and looked good. I raised and lowered it every time I came out of its house and back. My current boat lives outside and the mast is unpainted aluminum, it does not retract.

Every shipyard that looks after fish boats will have some scrap pipe lying about.

Thanks Xsbank. Any photos by chance?

Look for Connell's thread, he just made one. My mast won't help you but his will.

A mast for a Defever 41

I have a Marine Trader 41. I also needed a mast. I used a 4" by 10 ' long plastic drain pipe. I then fitted a 3' piece on top for a total of 13'. I used 2" plastic pipe for cross members to hold the spreader lights. It was painted with a marine paint. Although it can't lift any thing, it holds my radar, steaming light, anchor light and I am going to put my digital TV antenna on it this spring. It looks like any other mast on any other trawler supported by guy wires and it is on a hinge so it can be lowered.

The last couple of posts on my blog, along with talking about it here on this forum, are of building my mast. The project is still ongoing.

I just spent two hours last night after work figuring out how to wire a double pole double throw switch for my combination anchor/masthead light. I got it working :)

Conall
Conall's Boat Build

The last couple of posts on my blog, along with talking about it here on this forum, are of building my mast. The project is ongoing.

I just spent two hours last night after work figuring out how to wire a double pole double throw switch for my combination anchor/masthead light. I got it working :)

Conall
Conall's Boat Build

Wow! That looks great. Making one like that is bit out of my skill set, but maybe I can makes something similar.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom