Old 09-10-2015, 11:08 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Trouble with single ply is the tendency to use more, maybe as much as if 2 ply was used.
Once folded over single ply is the same as one 2 ply, advantage is it all falls apart easier in the bowl in my observation.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:11 PM   #22
Guru

City: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Once folded over single ply is the same as one 2 ply, advantage is it all falls apart easier in the bowl in my observation.
Plenty of flush water is the key. If your toilet isn't designed to bring in water and hold it ahead of solids, use a cup to add water from the sink.
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:46 AM   #23
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
You don't wear gloves, Bruce?

While staining, I mean!!!!
Depends on the type of stain being created.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:13 AM   #24
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by flywright View Post
you don't wear gloves, bruce?

While straining, i mean!!!!

fify
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:32 AM   #25
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Yeah, butt my paper doesn't get a chance to sit and mellow that long after it's served it's function.
Subtle humor, Freudian slip or typeo?

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:46 AM   #26
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Marine TP dissolves quick as shit... err, even quite quicker for that matter.

The few extra bucks for marine grade TP can save hundreds or more buck$ regarding eventual (i.e. too-soon) toilet-item repairs/replacements.

Just my 2 cents!

Now back to the Pro - Peggie
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:02 AM   #27
Guru

There is NO reason to pay even a few extra cents for "marine/rv TP." I discovered that it's just the cheapest single ply practically-dissolves-in-your-hand-when-wet TP that's available from most supermarkets for a fraction of the price when I was at the SeaLand plant in OH for "VacuFlush Certification School." During a tour of the plant I watched an employee pull the wrappers off packages of no-name TP and repack 'em in SeaLand TP wrappers.

I came home all set to add TP to our product line...till I found out I'd have to buy in lots of at least 6,000 cases to be able to sell it for a cost competitive price, and I didn't have enough warehouse space to store anywhere near that much.

So save your money and buy the cheapest stuff...it's the same thing.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #28

City: Sacramento, CA
Vessel Name: Brave Duck
Vessel Model: 1988 Lord Nelson Victory Tug
I got tired of having my finger bust through or having to wad up a bunch of TP so that it almost felt like a blanket (Never actually tried that!). So off to Walmart for their cheapest of several types that they sell, and it works fine for home and boat (vacuflush).

I just tried Peggy's "shake 'n flake" test and it broke up just fine (snow) after maybe an hour. I tried it again with an immediate shake up, and it was just bigger snow.

So I'm giving my Costco stuff to one of my kids (birthday) and will stick with Walmart.

Phil
Pdeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #29

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Out of curiosity I took a single square of my toilet paper here in Colombia (which by the way is a high quality, name brand triple layer toilet paper) and I put in in a one quart jar and immediately shook it five times. The photo below was the result. As you can see it disintegrated completely:

Now mind you this is one of the best quality toilet papers available and in normal use it's actually a very nice product (that's why I use it).

So, after careful consideration, I have decided to establish an export business handling only this product intended for the marine market. I'm now looking for distributors in the good ol' USA. Any takers?
Old 09-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
Now mind you this is one of the best quality toilet paper available and in normal use it's actually a very nice product (that's why I use it).

So, after careful consideration, I have decided to establish an export business handling only this product intended for the marine market. I'm now looking for investors... any takers?
If you have the warehouse space for at least 6000 cases and a labor pool to rebag it in 4-packs...and oh, yes...storage for all those d'd bags.... we can talk.

Meanwhile,
Old 09-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #31
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Subtle humor, Freudian slip or typeo?

Later,
Dan

Peggie knows the answer.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:08 PM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Just made me think how lucky we are that people like Peggie decide to specialize in such gross things. I mean it. We need an expert and her knowledge and advice and it's just not the area of concentration most would pursue. Just one more occupation that I'm so happy others do so I don't have to. Thanks for all your knowledge, Peggie.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:12 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
you guys crack me up.

I am a TP snob and only use one brand. I now have TP on auto delivery from Amazon as my local grocery store stopped selling my brand. I don't care if it dissolves in a jar of water or not because I throw it in the trash. Been doing that on boats for many years so why stop now.

I do not allow Scott brand TP or paper towels in my home or boat. We let a relative use our boat and they left us some Charmin. I considered throwing it away but it was only two rolls so I allowed it to remain.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #34
Guru

I didn't choose this "area of concentration," it chose me. Solving problems on the first boat my late hubby and I owned that was big enough to have toilet facilities kinda just evolved into a business. It's only men who consider it "gross"...'cuz women have been up to our elbows in this stuff ever since Eve slapped the first fig leave on Cain's bottom.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
I didn't choose this "area of concentration," it chose me. Solving problems on the first boat my late hubby and I owned that was big enough to have toilet facilities kinda just evolved into a business. It's only men who consider it "gross"...'cuz women have been up to our elbows in this stuff ever since Eve slapped the first fig leave on Cain's bottom.
Wifey B: I consider it gross...I guess having not been a mom. Maybe that's it that raising kids you have to deal with it. I was like 35 years old before I changed my first diaper. My niece, who is, by the way, the most beautiful, smartest, most wonderful and going to be the most spoiled child ever. But you're right as hubby gags if forced near and still hasn't ever changed a diaper. But your baby's poop is not like dealing with a pot full of it on a boat. And that whole using a can for the dirty tp....oh no....I can't do that. My germaphobe hubby would flip anyway. He just said "no more poop talk" as we have dinner in a few minutes.

And however you got into it still appreciate it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:45 PM   #36
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I hear the answer to excess TP disposal is using both sides . A cruising companion boat ran out of TP not long ago, we offered them some used one side only, talk about ungrateful,....
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:54 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
LOL poop shmoop... I don't have kids either but used to babysit babies and have changed diapers. It has probably been 30 years. I used to shovel horse shit at the barn. I pick up my dog's poo. I've had that moment of realizing there was a hole in the bag and I just picked up dog shit with my bare fingers. (that was actually fairly gross. ) We changed out our holding tank and our heads. whatever. I would not want to fall in a pile of poo like that kid in Slumdog Millionaire. a trash bag with used TP in it? whatever. But I totally respect that what is NBD to me may be super gross to other people!!
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
See...it's you reformed sailboaters who have carried this disgusting "TP in the trash can" habit into our otherwise respectable world of power yachting. There ought to be a law...

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:59 PM   #39
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
We want strong and absorbent paper. It all goes into a covered waste basket containing a plastic bag. We don't challenge the toilet's macerator and waste tank. ... I've changed diapers during an earlier life.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:20 PM   #40
Guru

It's mind boggling that a thread devoted entirely to wiping one's butt could have lasted 40 posts! My new book covers the subject completely and doesn't have anywhere NEAR that much to say about it!