TMC toilet pump stuck...you there Peggie..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peter B

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Make
Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Ok, before y'all start, I know these are not considered the best toilet out there, but my using a new one to replace the old TMC manual toilet that came with the boat was a sort of evolutionary process. The manual one sort of died - well was all blocked up. I replaced all the plumbing, then thought I could add a new electric gizmo to the bowl to do away with the manual pump. Found it was too old a model, but the chandlery offered to take the now useless new TMC electric pump and base back if I credited it to a whole new loo, and so here we are.

Maybe I got a 'tight' one, because although the installation went well from the word go, and still does - usually. Sadly it has always been a bit 'sticky' when left unused for longer than usual periods, like now, because when you have your boat on the market you kinda lose interest in going out in it. So...I have a stuck motor...well, I presume the sticking bit is the macerator, (as the pump would be sealed, and never work if flooded I'd guess), which is defying all the tricks that hitherto used to work, even though always flushed out with fresh water before being left, and I found pouring some vege oil down there also helped - like with the old manual one.

What I would like to know is if any genius out that has found a way to 'tweak' the macerator blades to break the stickiness. One it turns once, it's away, and never gives trouble while being regularly used. It is virtually impossible to get at it thru the bowl, (yuk, I've tried), but is there a way to remove the plastic rear cover to twist the armature from behind, perhaps. It did not appear removable, so I was not keen to rip into it. Any ideas or (bitter) experience welcome. I've just had the fridge fixed, and I'm considering taking her off the market, and just when I was feeling my enthusiasm returning...this..! :non ono: :mad:

Sadly it has always been a bit 'sticky' when left unused for longer than usual periods, like now, because when you have your boat on the market you kinda lose interest in going out in it. So...I have a stuck motor...well, I presume the sticking bit is the macerator, (as the pump would be sealed, and never work if flooded I'd guess),
which is defying all the tricks that hitherto used to work, even though always flushed out with fresh water before being left, and I found pouring some vege oil down there also helped - like with the old manual one.

What I would like to know is if any genius out that has found a way to 'tweak' the macerator blades to break the stickiness.

It's the MOTOR that's sealed. If the pump were sealed, no waste could pass through it.

No, you don't have a stuck motor, nor is it the macerator blades that are stuck, it's the impeller that's stuck to the inside of its housing. Happens all the time to people who don't think to run fresh water through the pump to rinse the salt and incompletely flushed waste out before the boat will sit. That's why your toilet has always been a bit sticky after it's sat for a while. You said you have been running fresh water through it, but obviously not enough to clean out the pump.

Every new toilet comes with an owners manual. Unfortunately too many people send it to the dumpster with the packing materials without ever even looking at it. TMC Electric toilet owners manual If you had, you'd have known without trying that here's no way to get to ANYTHING in a marine toilet through the bowl. The last item on page 5 provides instructions for freeing a stuck impeller.

Every new toilet comes with an owners manual. Unfortunately too many people send it to the dumpster with the packing materials without ever even looking at it. TMC Electric toilet owners manual If you had, you'd have known without trying that here's no way to get to ANYTHING in a marine toilet through the bowl. The last item on page 5 provides instructions for freeing a stuck impeller.

Thanks Peggie. Actually, like I have seen many folk mention, on here, and over at CF, the TMC folk seem to be somewhat stingy with owner manuals, as I didn't get one, I'm certain, because I am very particular about saving those. Heck, I even still have the manuals for some items I believe I have replaced/junked already. It only had a sort of 'exploded' (or should that be expanded?), diagram showing the various parts, taped to the toilet in a plastic bag, along with some spare seals and bits and pieces. Actually, now I think back, the toilet was not in packaging as such, just sitting bare on a shelf among a row of other marine toilets. Presumably the manuals get 'put away' somewhere and they forget to give them to you. Helpful, that...

Maybe chandlers the world over, to save space, all do this..? I have seen other's comment similarly, both on here and over on CF, and some have even stated they believed it didn't have a manual, so I didn't Google it...silly me.!.

Yes, I meant the motor is sealed. Poor word choice. However, thanks for putting up that link Peggie. I will now gather my determination, and attack the bugger again, and with vigour... :flowers:

PS. Aha, I thought so. There's a plastic cap over the end of the shaft, which is removable to get at the end of the shaft with a screwdriver. I thought there should be... :thumb::D and thanks again, Peggie.

Last edited:
I will now gather my determination, and attack the bugger again, and with vigour... :flowers:

Nonononono...attacking that screw with a screwdriver--showing at least enough restraint to avoid breaking anything--is all you SHOULD need to do! "Vigour" can cause more problems that it solves!

I will now gather my determination, and attack the bugger again, and with vigour... :flowers:

Nonononono...attacking that screw with a screwdriver--showing at least enough restraint to avoid breaking anything--is all you SHOULD need to do! "Vigour" can cause more problems that it solves!

Absolutely right Peg, (oh, and sorry I mis-spelled the Peggie bit originally - since corrected), I was meaning it (vigour) in the figurative sense only. If I've learnt nothing else in this world it is "softly, softly, catchee monkey"...

Back
Top Bottom