throttle control, non morse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grahamdouglass

Vessel Name
Summer Wind 1
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 41
I have a throttle control of unknown make on my 1980 Marine Trader 41.
The connection point to the throttle lever is stripped. I have taken some pictures. Does anyone have a similar control lever. This is not a Morse control lever. Although it maybe, but a really old model.

I think this is a pretty common problem. A set screw screws in from the control arm. This is what has caused the damage over the years. I appears that the throttle control is completely independent of the shift control.

Has anyone had this similar problem or does anyone have this controller and can identify it.

Attachments

• control with cover.jpg
    control with cover.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 19
  • control with out cover.jpeg
    control with out cover.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 19
  • close up damage.jpg
    close up damage.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 23
  • connecting points to cables.jpeg
    connecting points to cables.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 19
Hmm:

I'm not sure I understand the problem.

Possibility (1) -- the thread for the set screw is stripped in its hole. Two possible solutions: (a) drill out the set screw hole with the tap drill for the next larger size. Tap new threads. Insert new larger set screw. (b) Drill and tap for HeliCoil of the same size. (Google HeliCoil if you are not familiar with them). (a) is easier and should be perfectly satisfactory.

Possibility (2) -- the stud onto which the handle goes is so munged up that it doesn't fit well. It looks like the set screw should be in the grove on the stud -- I see an O where is once was set -- but it has clearly been set often with the handle not all the way on the stud, hence the munged up notches nearer the end of the stud. Solution -- clean up the stud with a file so that the handle goes all the way on and the set screw goes into the slot. You may want to drill a small recess in the stud where the set screw hits it to give the set screw a better grip.

Jim

Thanks for the reply

I was thinking the same thing with possibility 2. I was hoping the make of throttle control might be identified so I could get a replacement part. Cleaning up the mangled part and re-drilling with a longer set screw and maybe a repair with JB weld to add some material that could be filed and shaped is probably the solution.

Looks like SeaStar (Morse) Twin SR Control P/N CH5400P. These use a SeaStar CA69060P Stainless Steel Replacement Control Handle which fit both SLT & SR Twin controls. Search Google or Ebay for that part number and you will find they are readily available.

the control handle is fine

The part that the control handle fits into is damaged. After looking at the parts that are available, there didn't seem to be a ready solution. I'm going to try to fix in place by repairing the damage and tapping a thread.

If it is a Morse control (Teleflex then Dometic) it's a single SR. Short straight handle is an "S" control, longer curved handle an "SR" control.
There were several Pacific Rim "knock offs" of these popular controls and that may be what you have. Some of these knock-offs were pretty good and very close copies of the Morse controls.
After 43 years and for an engine control, may be time for a replacement. And yes, you want to match the shifter which is a separate control, but these are engine controls

$00.02 :socool:

I'd at least price out a new Morse unit. Last time I bought one it was less expensive than I anticipated. Plus, you could switch to a single lever gear/throttle model, if that appeals. A shift control is not something you want to fail on you.

The fix was pretty easy. Filed down the damage and used a hammer to fit it properly on the spindle. I might drill a recess hole later on. But it works fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom