Old 07-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #21
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
My new self contained units are so quiet and low energy that the only complaint is the air flow noise. You cannot hear (notice) the compressors except for a quick hum that lasts less than a second.

To me having a single unit versus a split unit....I can have it at a good, non-marine air conditioner shop in a couple hours to be troubleshoot and repaired.

Too many places the marine A/C repair guys/shops are few and far between...and worse....not all that competent like so many other marine trades.

Yeah, I might be singing a different tune when my system breaks down. I have had to replace a thermostat on one side but that's it so far. I was hoping I could replace a compressor myself if one went out but I don't really know how, and don't have the machine to evacuate the system down and add freon. Is it the same procedure basically as replacing a car compressor?

Just looked up the price of a compressor and they are pretty damn high. 😳

https://great-water.com/product/frig...ed-compressor/

cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:19 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
...Just looked up the price of a compressor and they are pretty damn high. ��

https://great-water.com/product/frig...ed-compressor/
We've used RParts (although it's been a few years) and their prices have been good. They were good on phone help and they sell also components so you don't have to buy the whole unit.

RPARTS.COM - RPARTS.COM

RParts.com - Danfoss and Masterflux DC Compressors - RPARTS.COM

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #23
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Yeah that's much better. I guess that other price included the keel cooler and everything else.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #24

City: Bristol PA
I would only say.. don't rule out the swing compressor over the the danfoss

I call it a salt shaker they are found in norcold and engle units
Old 07-09-2016, 04:51 PM   #25

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
If you plan to replace a compressor, you'll need gauge manifold set, a vacuum pump, vacuum pump manifold, thermistor vacuum gauge, nitrogen, regulator, torch, brazing rod, and technically (per the EPA- but who's watching?) a recovery machine, and new refrigerant. Easily over $1.5K in tooling alone. If the compressor is burned out, you may want to acid test the oil to see if it was a running burnout (bad) and if so, you should minimally install a suction acid drier to protect the new compressor. Oh, and the technical expertise to sweat brazed joints. The compressor is a bit player in the whole show!
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:54 PM   #26

I'm watching epa cert here He would most likely toss it. small fridges are more expensive to repair than buy new just like just about everything
Old 07-10-2016, 07:12 AM   #27
FF
Guru

Most any old but working dirt house fridge unit will do a good job of sucking out the air. Take apart a a working unit, and solder service fittings on it.

Flush with a bit of freon and do it again if you worry about compressor chunks , old oil , moisture and debris in the lines , although there are commercial cleaners made.

Brazing is not a requirement , most fittings have a large enough contact surface that solder is fine.

Most systems have a high side safety at about 200psi .
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:46 AM   #28
Guru

City: Hampton Va Back River
Found out why the compressor was running so hot.
It lost most of it's charge. The refrigerant charge actually helps to cool the compressor.
It was an old fridge from the 70's era.

I replaced it with a Whirlpool 10.7 cufoot frost free.
Whirlpool 10.7 cu. ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator in Black-WRT111SFDB - The Home Depot

This is a nice size. It has a lot of freezer space and an icemaker I added. So far cools perfectly. I added a freezer shelf.

It is deeper than the old one. I had to make some mods to the boat structure.

Compressor does not get hot enough to burn you like the broken one. I plan to keep the compressor, it is still ok.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #29

They run hot, but will get very hot with an over charge from high amperage. more often than not some one over charges the little thing because some one said it needs to be cooled by the refrigerant, which is not really true. Air-conditioning compressors used to need flood back to cool the winding, but even that is an old school misconception.
Good you replaced it! in the long run it's cheaper then paying to fix a the old one properly.
Tiny and small units need a precise refrigerant charge. In fractions of ounces,