I just completed a great project on my Mainship 400, which was totally inspired by Steve Cyr's "Stella Blue" website. With a huge "thank you" to Mr. Cyr, I would like to describe the project. The idea may be useful to you if you own a Mainship or perhaps even another brand of boat with a similar engine access configuration. The boat came with an aluminum channel providing strength to the closed access doors, but also limiting easy access to the engine compartment area. Steve's great idea was to make the aluminum channel removable by taking off the mounting screws and replacing them with brackets to hold the channel. The pictures tell the story.
The brackets were fabricated by the folks at Sailcraft in Oriental, NC., and I installed them, filing the channel to fit the brackets.
1. The brackets as made to my specifications.
2. The problem. Permanently mounted support beam.
3. Removing support beam.
4. Bracket installation.
5. Problem solved. Support beam now slides out allowing easy access to engine space for any reason.
In the final photo you can see the tools used for the project. I hope this provides inspiration for you, and again; thank you Steve.