Temporary/occasional flybridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SlowGypsy

Vessel Name
Chickadee
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
I have decided that I do not really need or want a flybridge most of the time, but occasionally, it would come in handy.
If I should end up purchasing a trawler with a flybridge ..... no problem. I can use it or not, at my discretion.
If I end up with a boat without flybridge, I would like to be able to climb up on the roof of the pilothouse when really needed (eg., coral heads in the Bahamas / rocky passages in Georgian Bay and the North Channel) and still have full control. I know I can use the autopilot remote for steerage, but does anyone have a good suggestion for remote control of the engine and bow thruster?

I have this romantic notion of a very comfortable lounging chair up there, with big umbrella, and me with a tall drink in one hand, non-alcoholic of course, and a control unit in the other. Perhaps even a modern version of the crows nest?

Can it be done, this side of a million dollars?

Have seen several cruisers on the pilothouse top in deck chairs presumably with an autopilot remote......if needed engine controls could be added in a variety of ways, but not really needed on a slow boat.

Their smile was the same as everyone else's cruising so it couldn't be a bad thing.

Thanks!
Sometimes, I will need the ability to at least stop and reverse in tight passages, so I would prefer to have full engine control up there.
I could, of course, simply (?) add traditional morse/cable engine control, but, by the time I am finished, I may as well have gone the full flybridge route.
What I am hoping for, I guess, is a more modern approach with some sort of electronic wireless remote, which could then also be used on the foredeck, for example.

My neighbour has a 63' Hatteras that he backs into the slip while standing on the swim platform with a full remote control unit in his hands

I believe BandB and Capt Bill have in the past mentioned knoledge of the total control system...maybe Twistedtree too.

Wait for them or try a PM if you need it quick.

My neighbour has a 63' Hatteras that he backs into the slip while standing on the swim platform with a full remote control unit in his hands
OK, so it IS possible - thanks!

psneeld : thanks, I will wait and see if they, or someone else, chimes in with a specific brand or device.
(Wouldn't surprise me if I could do it all from my iPhone, LOL! ..... "There's an app for that!")

i walked by this one in the marina the other day......got me to thinking. It's just enough to do and be what you are suggesting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 89
Love it!
Looks like a baby's high chair with toy steering wheel!

Interesting idea. But the boats we're looking at only have a flybridge and I can see some value in having controls in the salon for those cold rainy days when you have to keep running. In protected waters of course.

Sorry folks, I should have done a little more googling before asking here!
I just found two such electronic, wireless remote cotrol systems. The hand-held units can control two engines, rwo thrusters, and two anchors, from anywhere on the boat! I still prefer to put my trust in a mechanical device, but these things would sure help a solo mariner, such as myself. I can imagine how much easier it might be, say, picking up a mooring, standing at the bow, with full control of engines and thrusters.
My primary interest, however, is for a "pseudo flybridge" application.

The two units I found are yachtcontroller.com, and astel-marine.com
No, I didn't get pricing information, but I bet they are not giving them away!

I don't have wireless control of the engines but do have a wireless controller for the bow thruster. I love it because it gives me the freedom of being able to stand up while maneuvering in close quarters and not having to fumble around for the helm-mounted thruster controls.

I have seen several boats with full engine, gear, and two thruster controls from a little handheld unit. Usually pretty good sized boats but the controllers are available.
No idea how many $ or what the mods. entail.

I would loop exit a full handheld control unit that I could use from anywhere on the boat. I have used the flybridge a lot for stern tie anchoring this week. However the flybridge is a long way from where the action is. Not a problem. I was I have lots of hands on board, could be more difficult with just the two of us in some situations if one of us is up on the flybridge.

A lot of the cost of a remote control will be in how your future vessel is set up regarding steering and engine controls.

If it has a auto pilot that will make installation easier / cheaper
If it has electronic controls that will make installation easier / cheaper
If it has a joystick controller that will make installation easier / cheaper

If these items are in place than there will be less additional cost for actuators.

:socool:

Right! - and most of the boats I have been looking at have only simple mechanical engine controls. I will have an autopilot anyway, so remote steering is easy enough, but I really want remote control of forward/reverse/throttle, and that will require at least basic electronic controls at that level.
And I thought boating was supposed to be an inexpensive hobby! LOL!
(I had that notion knocked out of me some fifty five years ago!)

Sometimes I put a deck chair up on the pilothouse when I'm feeling outdoorsy and use my remote AP to steer. Last time I did this I almost ran over a sand bar and spilt my beer trying to hustle back down to the helm, and then the wind blew the chair overboard. :banghead:

So the moral of the story is, don't do that with alcoholic beverages obviously.

Cost:
Deck chair (actually just a bag chair)-- $10
Raymarine wireless smartcontroller with depth for autopilot-- $487
The ability to say I have a flybridge-- priceless!

I have decided that I do not really need or want a flybridge most of the time, but occasionally, it would come in handy.
If I should end up purchasing a trawler with a flybridge ..... no problem. I can use it or not, at my discretion.
If I end up with a boat without flybridge, I would like to be able to climb up on the roof of the pilothouse when really needed (eg., coral heads in the Bahamas / rocky passages in Georgian Bay and the North Channel) and still have full control. I know I can use the autopilot remote for steerage, but does anyone have a good suggestion for remote control of the engine and bow thruster?

I have this romantic notion of a very comfortable lounging chair up there, with big umbrella, and me with a tall drink in one hand, non-alcoholic of course, and a control unit in the other. Perhaps even a modern version of the crows nest?

Sometimes I put a deck chair up on the pilothouse when I'm feeling outdoorsy and use my remote AP to steer. Last time I did this I almost ran over a sand bar and spilt my beer trying to hustle back down to the helm, and then the wind blew the chair overboard. :banghead:

So the moral of the story is, don't do that with alcoholic beverages obviously.

Cost:

Hahaha, nice. Sounds like my kind of day on the water.

Probably for safety a wire controlled "engine stop" would be all one would need for most all situations while on the rooftop w an autopilot control. One could scrample down off the rooftop to the helm and restart the engine in a second or so.

Or running my Willard this way sitting on the trunk cabin fwd w the window at the helm open I could reach my normal controls in 2 or 3 seconds. We have never needed anything like this boating in Alaska but in the very near future w temps in the high 80's it may be somewhat attractive. But there's no shade on the trunk cabin or the rooftop so I doubt I'll even think about it much less do it.
I did this on my Albin at times .... it had an AP.

Wow, those are some fancy systems.

I have a joystick control but I Rarely use it. I learned how to handle boats using the shifters, and did not want to lose that skill by relying on a joystick.

One of the concerns I have with these joysticks, is brokers are selling these large boats to Inexperienced people who can write a check, but have very minimal skills.

No cost beer? You left out the most important loss!! Your priorities are questionable!

:socool:

Last time I did this I almost ran over a sand bar and spilt my beer trying to hustle back down to the helm,
Cost:

Wow, those are some fancy systems.

I have a joystick control but I Rarely use it. I learned how to handle boats using the shifters, and did not want to lose that skill by relying on a joystick.

One of the concerns I have with these joysticks, is brokers are selling these large boats to Inexperienced people who can write a check, but have very minimal skills.

Yes, and they don't keep them from running aground in the ICW or having other issues. Here's the logic being tossed out:

1-The only hard part of boating is docking.
2-These make docking easy.
3-Therefore you can do it all easily.

When the truth is docking is a small part of it, just the part that scares newcomers, and you jump in without experience, you will have a long learning curve. The people who make it look easy have thousands of days doing it.

That said, we have and use joysticks. We can do it without, but we don't choose to ignore tools we have.

Tom Fexas on his Midnight Lace series did my dream style

A Bow Cockpit , upholstered with minor electronics and Auto Pilot controlls.

Far Fwd there should only be the noise from the bow wave .

Tom Fexas on his Midnight Lace series did my dream style

A Bow Cockpit , upholstered with minor electronics and Auto Pilot controlls.

Far Fwd there should only be the noise from the bow wave .

Absolutely agree. One of my favorites for exactly that reason. On full plane that has to be an awesome ride.

Get out your checkbook and buy yourself a Ranger Tug. Their largest model (I think it's a 31 but it might be a 34) has a collapsible flybridge. The idea is that it can be trailered without height restrictions but it could be left collapsed while on the water as well. And you can get under lower bridges without an opening.

Problem solved!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom