Tecma toilet issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy G

Hospitality Officer
Vessel Name
Sarawana
Vessel Make
IG 36 Quad Cabin
I have two 9 year old Tecma's on board and they are starting to occasionally 'run on', after the flush cycle.

I assume that something is not sealing completely.Is there anyone out there with Tecma's that has done some DIY work, and has helpful hints or advice to pass on, before I plunge in and pull it all apart?

When you say "run on" do you mean the fill/flush water continues to come into the bowl? If that's the case it should be easy fix with the water supply solenoid. Ours are 10 years old with no problems to date.

Yes, that sounds about right.

Any ideas where the supply solenoid is located. I don't have any diagrams or manuals.

Thanks

Andy

Sorry for the poor angle, but here's a picture of the solenoid for my Tecma. Might help you in locating yours. Two years ago the bowl wouldn't fill during flush, so I took the solenoid apart and put it back together. In doing so I guess the contacts were made better because it fixed the problem.

Good luck.

SteveH

Attachments

• DSCN0468.JPG
    DSCN0468.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 168
Yes, that sounds about right.

Any ideas where the supply solenoid is located. I don't have any diagrams or manuals.

Thanks

Andy
Its external to the toilet. Mine is inside the cabinet under the sink. I would trace the sink cold water supply and see if it Ts off there.

Andy: Steve & Dave have it right...almost certainly the solenoid & I cannot better Dave's how-to-find directions. Here's where to buy in Oz on-line plus a photo: http://www.marvo.com.au/products/Tecma-Inlet-Soleniod-Valve-w-Filter-.html It is a good idea to get a 2nd as a spare: easy to swap out and will avoid a sudden, unhappy end to a weekend cruise ! (Note you need to specify whether 12v or 24c...usually big sticker on the outside case stating one or other when you find it)

Thanks for that guys, I will start looking at my set up before taking the toilets apart.

Andy: when you do find the solenoid valve, before taking it out try giving it a few firm sharp taps while operating the push-button....it may just be a bit stuck (can happen if you run out of water mid-flush and it gets an air bubble or ...?)

Just a couple of points here
The Tecma (or Planus - same thing) toilet has a little run about 10 seconds after the flush has finished - this is normal with the 2 button controller.
The biggest issue with these toilets is after some years the balance tube on the discharge bellows (from the bowl to the macerator) can block. This results in the water not getting away as it should as the macerator tends to get an air lock at that point. Handy hint is that you should clean this every once in a while or remember that is the water isnt getting away then this will be the problem.
On the controller; in standard form these are really basic relay controlls - when they fail they do so for ever so if the issue continues then it will most likely be a connection problem somewhere between the controller and the motor - all the brains of the toilet are in the controller.

DT

A further problem has occurred with my Tecma. The bowl fills as per normal however the unit will not flush the water away, leading to a build up of water in the bowl.

I can here the control unit clicking away however that's it.

Any thoughts?

Andy: I think this is a solenoid problem (again?). If you have tried the 'few sharp taps' applied by you while someone else pushes the button...you may want to swap out the solenoid with your spare and see if that fixes it.

Ah, yes the spare solenoid. ( at this point I am now berating myself about forgetting to buy that spare solenoid) :facepalm:

I wonder where in Sydney, on a Saturday morning, such an animal would be hiding.

Andy: if you want to borrow my spare, you are welcome. Aquabelle is at Cabarita marina & though I'm not in Sydney myself right now, you can go there & I'll authorize the office to give you access & key. I can talk you through where to find it. Call me direct if you want to do this: 0418 762925 (you won't get a spare today I wouldn't think. Try ringing SeaLandAir in Brisbane & see if they have a Sydney source for this. Also AquaVolt at Roseville would be worth a phone call, just on the off-chance)

Very kind offer, however I will make do for the weekend.

I have a second head on the boat so the situation is not dire.(Actually I had a big Chrissie drinks party last night and the thought of going head to head with my recalcitrant Tecma, in my present delicate state,does not fill me with joy.

Great night though.

Well Andy, you may find another use for that bucket with lanyard Maritime authorities insist we carry as safety equipment. Ours is stainless steel, that`s a relief.

Andy, my forward head did the same thing this summer. I would push the flush button and I could hear the solenoid click but the toilet pump didn't spin. I checked a lot of wiring and even hot wired the pump to make sure it ran. Not sure what happened but the pump worked after that. I think the control switch was the cause. After it was agitated a lot it has worked ever since.

Very kind offer, however I will make do for the weekend.

I have a second head on the boat so the situation is not dire.(Actually I had a big Chrissie drinks party last night and the thought of going head to head with my recalcitrant Tecma, in my present delicate state,does not fill me with joy.

Great night though.
Hi Andy
call me 0408785605 - have been involved with Tecma (aust agent) for 15 years, I can help. Sunday Ok
Regards
David

Thanks David, great to know I will contact you next week, as I really should be carrying some Tecma spares on board.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom