Tanks.How much do I really need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An incinerating toilet was suggested to a member of another forum.I have heard of these but have avoided them due to my ignorance of them.I understand a little about the home style,but honestly not enough to make an informed decision on one.

I have been reading up on electric and vacuflush.I know a good bit about electric units used in RVs.I'll keep studying.

I think I can get away with 50g black and 50g grey for our week long lake trips.I've decided to include a diverter on the grey water to pump over board.I am really trying to keep the thru hull fittings to an absolute minimum.

I don't always shower everyday,my son don't either.My son and I can take a wash down on deck in our short pants.The misses has to have a bathroom.I did find a collapsible shower stall for deck showers.Maybe an option in the summer.

if you are taking showes on deck..why not just put a y-valve from the shower so it can drin or be pumped directly overboard prior to the grey tank?

Last edited:
My shower will be close to water line so I would need a macerator pump to go overboard.I will check the grey water regs again to be sure.I know our lakes don't allow anything over board.I could add a ball valve and divert when not on the lakes.

Are you talking lakes in SC or another state...

I read SCs boating regs...here they are and they say nothing about gret water..

Illegal

• To have a toilet installed aboard your boat without a marine sanitation device.
  • For any boat used for habitation moored at a private dock to discharge raw or treated sewage.
  • For houseboats to discharge treated or raw sewage in freshwater.
  • For any vessel to discharge in a No Discharge Zone.
Designated No Discharge Zones:
  • Broad Creek (Hilton Head Island)
  • Lake Hartwell
  • Lake Keowee
  • Lake Murray
  • Lake Thurmond
  • Lake Wylie

When faced with the same question , trailer boat to live aboard for a while (we want to run the inside passage to AK) we simply purchased a 23 ft REGAL.

With a Chevvy 305 and Volvo duo props out drive it as efficient as can be expected with decade old tech.

The boat is fine for a couple as there is a large well ventilated double under the aft deck. The fwd table can be left in place , as its not slept on.

With great 360deg canvass ,cockpit rainy days will not be too bad.

The boat is about 4800 lbs so a cheap 6000lb hitch setup will do the job.

WE will be towing with a 35 ft bus conversion , so an extra front trailer hitch was installed so we could launch. .

Lots of boats of this size , if you need a different layout to accommidate a bigger crowd.

For us the hardest part was not finding a boat under 8ft, so no permits , but the fact that most States have regulations on the length of the combination.

These vary but 65 ft seems , pretty common. 35 for the coach only allows 30 for the boat hitch ball to end of out drive on the trailer.

Will try the combo out this summer on the big nearby eastern lakes in Canada.

FF

if you are taking showes on deck..why not just put a y-valve from the shower so it can drin or be pumped directly overboard prior to the grey tank?

That's what I plan to do for the head and galley.The on deck shower will drain through the scuppers.

Are you talking lakes in SC or another state...

I read SCs boating regs...here they are and they say nothing about gret water..

Illegal

• To have a toilet installed aboard your boat without a marine sanitation device.
  • For any boat used for habitation moored at a private dock to discharge raw or treated sewage.
  • For houseboats to discharge treated or raw sewage in freshwater.
  • For any vessel to discharge in a No Discharge Zone.
Designated No Discharge Zones: This includes grey water from my understanding.

• Broad Creek (Hilton Head Island)
  • Lake Hartwell
  • Lake Keowee
  • Lake Murray
  • Lake Thurmond
  • Lake Wylie

That's the lakes that I frequent plus a few around Spartanburg and Cherokee counties.Did that info come from DNR or Army Corp. of Engineers?I'm not sure which one governs the lake laws.

No Discharge does not necessarily include Gray water. One thing I have found if they are including Gray water they will specifically call it out.
There are areas that are absolutely no discharge and may consider your deck shower to be a form of discharge.

That's what I plan to do for the head and galley.The on deck shower will drain through the scuppers.

That's the lakes that I frequent plus a few around Spartanburg and Cherokee counties.Did that info come from DNR or Army Corp. of Engineers?I'm not sure which one governs the lake laws.

DNR...couldn't find anything about ACOE and a couple of lakes...NO mention of no discharge of grey water...

No Discharge does not necessarily include Gray water. One thing I have found if they are including Gray water they will specifically call it out.
There are areas that are absolutely no discharge and may consider your deck shower to be a form of discharge.

DNR...couldn't find anything about ACOE and a couple of lakes...NO mention of no discharge of grey water...

Thanks.My interpretation of the rule/law must be wrong.I'll personally ask the next time I'm on one of the lakes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom