Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #21
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
The kids and myself will probably spend a fair amount of time in the water,so we probably won't shower everyday.When we do the great loop,it will be my girlfriend and our son.My oldest son won't go with us.We will use shower facilities where available.I will do a week on one of our large local lakes to get an idea of what I may need.I just need a starting point and I think i have that.
If you are in salt water, you will need to shower or at least rinse off afterwards. Same for some fresh water. This water is not as clear and clean as it may be in your local lake.
__________________
Advertisement

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #22
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
ben2go,

As I read your various posts, I am confused. Do you already have a boat that you plan on cruising in or are you planning on buying one? Or are you building or rebuilding one?

Usually, when you buy a boat, tankage and your other concerns have already been designed into the boat by the builder, taking into consideration the probable intended uses of the boat.
__________________

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:23 AM   #23
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Showers and dish washing are the big water wasters.
We won't be washing many dishes,couple pots and pans.Everything else will be plasticware.

This is LEARNED behavior. And with practice a great shower can be had with 2 or 3 gal of water.
In RVs I install those shower heads with the pull string to allow water to flow.When the string is released,the water stops flowing.I don't remember the manufacture right off.

The solar plastic bag showers work well, or if its cool an old pump fire extinguisher holds about 2 gal, and can be stove top heated.
I have used a 2.5 gallon chemical sprayer as a shower when land camping.Let it sit in the sun about 30 minutes and it's ready to go.Of course we have them dedicated to this and no chemicals have been used in them.


For rinsing dishes use a 1 quart pitcher ( 1 pint is even better!).
Never thought of that.I just fill the sink with about a gallon of water and use a rag to help rinse.


In most lakes the lake can be your supply , a simple wash down pump and cockpit showers isn't bad in summer..
I've used those outdoor showers on an RV a friend had.Powered by the water hook up and not off the self contained water tank.


Discharging waste is only a problem with cheap pumps , look for an Obendorfer (what is the heart of the usual dockside units) 10-20 years of service , but you pay up front for the pleasure of NOT repairing/replacing a black pump endlessly.

Rotary Gear Pumps, Mag Drive Pumps, Centrifugal Pumps, Rubber Impeller Pumps by Oberdorfer Pumps a subsidiary of Gardner Denver
Thanks.I will have a look at those.

FF


Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
"Grey water" is what's left from showering, washing hand and dishes, etc. Only a few lakes in the USA prohibit draining grey water overboard. It's perfectly OK in coastal waters.

"Black water" is what goes through the head. Pee, pooh, and flush water. That's what is regulated everywhere in the USA.
Yep.Very familiar with those terms.


Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post
If you really need to conserve fresh water install a foot pump for the sink.
I had not thought of that,but I have used them in some boats.


Guests not acustomed to carrying water often think like they are at home.

If you have to pump it you won't leave the water running.
True.Make'em work for it.

I have also seen a little contraption for the faucet. Looks like a stick hanging out of the faucet. You have to move the stick for the water to run. Let it go and the water stops. I don't know what it is called.
I know exactly what you are talking about but for the life of me I don't remember what they are called either.
SD
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:31 AM   #24
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If you are in salt water, you will need to shower or at least rinse off afterwards. Same for some fresh water. This water is not as clear and clean as it may be in your local lake.
I can agree to that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
ben2go,

As I read your various posts, I am confused. Do you already have a boat that you plan on cruising in or are you planning on buying one? Or are you building or rebuilding one?

Usually, when you buy a boat, tankage and your other concerns have already been designed into the boat by the builder, taking into consideration the probable intended uses of the boat.
I am planning a build for spring 2014.Trying to get a good close approximation as to how I want the boat set up,so I can work with the designer to accommodate tankage and placement.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #25
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,531
I am planning a build for spring 2014.

With the price of used boats hammered as they are, what requirements do you have that would not be met by a used boat at 30% the cost?

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #26
Guru
 
swampu's Avatar


 
City: Biloxi, MS
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,147
for what it's worth I've got 1,000 gallons of fresh water. Never can have enough. My rv tank is about 30 and we run out of that in about a day. If we use bottles to drink (beer bottles for me) and take quick showers we can stretch it to a few days. Has anyone tried building a solar water heater. Similar to a pool water heater?
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #27
Guru
 
swampu's Avatar


 
City: Biloxi, MS
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,147
ron, the guys at tht miss you! They started a thread wondering what happened to you. I told them you jumped ship.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #28
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
I am planning a build for spring 2014.

With the price of used boats hammered as they are, what requirements do you have that would not be met by a used boat at 30% the cost?

FF
Width,height,weight,draft,space,fuel efficiency,and ability to trailer without special permits behind a pick up.Plus, I can build cheaper than buying used.The bartering system here is very strong since the economic crash.It is quickly improving and we are no longer close to number one in the country for unemployment.


Here is my issue with the boats I have been checking out.The wood stringers and transom are usually soft which means rot.All the flotation foam is water logged.Most need serious structural repair before taking on a long cruise.I have repaired these problems on boats before.It easier,cheaper,and faster to build from scratch.Another issue is weight and size.I looked at an older,late 80's cruiser,that was built like a knock off Bayliner.It was 25'4" LOA with an 8'4" beam.Weight was over 10,000lbs on the lift.Height from water line was almost 15' to the fly bridge top.all the tanks were empty except 1/4 tank of fuel.I want something larger.Most boats over 27 foot have to be hauled behind a rig and need oversize permits for width and height.I want to avoid these issues.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Papa Charlie's Avatar
 
City: Everett, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 127
Well I guess I might might as well throw in my $0.02.
There are two of us living on our 45. We have a Vacuflush system that uses fresh water into a 50 gallon holding tank. Our freshwater is two tanks for a total of about 200 gallons.
We can get 7 days on the black water tank and the fresh water.

As indicated there are so many variables that will make everyone's answers so different. They type of flushing system you have, vacuflush or electric or hand pump. Fresh water or raw water. How often you shower, Navy shower or regular shower and how often.
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #30
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Charlie View Post
Well I guess I might might as well throw in my $0.02.
There are two of us living on our 45. We have a Vacuflush system that uses fresh water into a 50 gallon holding tank. Our freshwater is two tanks for a total of about 200 gallons.
We can get 7 days on the black water tank and the fresh water.

As indicated there are so many variables that will make everyone's answers so different. They type of flushing system you have, vacuflush or electric or hand pump. Fresh water or raw water. How often you shower, Navy shower or regular shower and how often.
An incinerating toilet was suggested to a member of another forum.I have heard of these but have avoided them due to my ignorance of them.I understand a little about the home style,but honestly not enough to make an informed decision on one.

I have been reading up on electric and vacuflush.I know a good bit about electric units used in RVs.I'll keep studying.

I think I can get away with 50g black and 50g grey for our week long lake trips.I've decided to include a diverter on the grey water to pump over board.I am really trying to keep the thru hull fittings to an absolute minimum.

I don't always shower everyday,my son don't either.My son and I can take a wash down on deck in our short pants.The misses has to have a bathroom.I did find a collapsible shower stall for deck showers.Maybe an option in the summer.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #31
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
An incinerating toilet was suggested to a member of another forum.I have heard of these but have avoided them due to my ignorance of them.I understand a little about the home style,but honestly not enough to make an informed decision on one.

I have been reading up on electric and vacuflush.I know a good bit about electric units used in RVs.I'll keep studying.

I think I can get away with 50g black and 50g grey for our week long lake trips.I've decided to include a diverter on the grey water to pump over board.I am really trying to keep the thru hull fittings to an absolute minimum.

I don't always shower everyday,my son don't either.My son and I can take a wash down on deck in our short pants.The misses has to have a bathroom.I did find a collapsible shower stall for deck showers.Maybe an option in the summer.
if you are taking showes on deck..why not just put a y-valve from the shower so it can drin or be pumped directly overboard prior to the grey tank?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #32
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
My shower will be close to water line so I would need a macerator pump to go overboard.I will check the grey water regs again to be sure.I know our lakes don't allow anything over board.I could add a ball valve and divert when not on the lakes.
Are you talking lakes in SC or another state...

I read SCs boating regs...here they are and they say nothing about gret water..

Illegal
  • To have a toilet installed aboard your boat without a marine sanitation device.
  • For any boat used for habitation moored at a private dock to discharge raw or treated sewage.
  • For houseboats to discharge treated or raw sewage in freshwater.
  • For any vessel to discharge in a No Discharge Zone.
Designated No Discharge Zones:
  • Broad Creek (Hilton Head Island)
  • Lake Hartwell
  • Lake Keowee
  • Lake Murray
  • Lake Thurmond
  • Lake Wylie
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #33
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,531
When faced with the same question , trailer boat to live aboard for a while (we want to run the inside passage to AK) we simply purchased a 23 ft REGAL.

With a Chevvy 305 and Volvo duo props out drive it as efficient as can be expected with decade old tech.

The boat is fine for a couple as there is a large well ventilated double under the aft deck. The fwd table can be left in place , as its not slept on.

With great 360deg canvass ,cockpit rainy days will not be too bad.

The boat is about 4800 lbs so a cheap 6000lb hitch setup will do the job.

WE will be towing with a 35 ft bus conversion , so an extra front trailer hitch was installed so we could launch. .

Lots of boats of this size , if you need a different layout to accommidate a bigger crowd.

For us the hardest part was not finding a boat under 8ft, so no permits , but the fact that most States have regulations on the length of the combination.

These vary but 65 ft seems , pretty common. 35 for the coach only allows 30 for the boat hitch ball to end of out drive on the trailer.

Will try the combo out this summer on the big nearby eastern lakes in Canada.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #34
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
if you are taking showes on deck..why not just put a y-valve from the shower so it can drin or be pumped directly overboard prior to the grey tank?
That's what I plan to do for the head and galley.The on deck shower will drain through the scuppers.



Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Are you talking lakes in SC or another state...

I read SCs boating regs...here they are and they say nothing about gret water..

Illegal
  • To have a toilet installed aboard your boat without a marine sanitation device.
  • For any boat used for habitation moored at a private dock to discharge raw or treated sewage.
  • For houseboats to discharge treated or raw sewage in freshwater.
  • For any vessel to discharge in a No Discharge Zone.
Designated No Discharge Zones: This includes grey water from my understanding.
  • Broad Creek (Hilton Head Island)
  • Lake Hartwell
  • Lake Keowee
  • Lake Murray
  • Lake Thurmond
  • Lake Wylie
That's the lakes that I frequent plus a few around Spartanburg and Cherokee counties.Did that info come from DNR or Army Corp. of Engineers?I'm not sure which one governs the lake laws.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Papa Charlie's Avatar
 
City: Everett, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 127
No Discharge does not necessarily include Gray water. One thing I have found if they are including Gray water they will specifically call it out.
There are areas that are absolutely no discharge and may consider your deck shower to be a form of discharge.
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #36
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
That's what I plan to do for the head and galley.The on deck shower will drain through the scuppers.





That's the lakes that I frequent plus a few around Spartanburg and Cherokee counties.Did that info come from DNR or Army Corp. of Engineers?I'm not sure which one governs the lake laws.
DNR...couldn't find anything about ACOE and a couple of lakes...NO mention of no discharge of grey water...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #37
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Charlie View Post
No Discharge does not necessarily include Gray water. One thing I have found if they are including Gray water they will specifically call it out.
There are areas that are absolutely no discharge and may consider your deck shower to be a form of discharge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
DNR...couldn't find anything about ACOE and a couple of lakes...NO mention of no discharge of grey water...

Thanks.My interpretation of the rule/law must be wrong.I'll personally ask the next time I'm on one of the lakes.
__________________

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012