Tank level monitoring opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think these will work with my aluminum holding tank.

They make a sensor that will go inside the tank for metal tanks. It is length of PVC with the sensors inside the pipe. Should be easy to replace your current floats with it.

Follow the link that Peggy gave and take a look. Easy to give them a call or email for more information.

I have the SCAD/Ferriello system on my 45 gal. poly holding tank, it works fine.

They make a sensor that will go inside the tank for metal tanks. It is length of PVC with the sensors inside the pipe. Should be easy to replace your current floats with it.

Follow the link that Peggy gave and take a look. Easy to give them a call or email for more information.
I have the PVC in-tank probe. Works without flaw. My tank is easily accessible. Occasionally, I open a 3-inch threaded plug when the guage reads half-full and full to verify that it is still accurate. Always has been. Very reliable.

The best thing i did was go digital Kus WEMA senders Cost depends on length.

And I coupled them to digital gauges for $45 per gauge

Gauges in green to stbd lower.

Attachments

• 20190914_060204.jpg
    20190914_060204.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 13
  • new guages.jpg
    new guages.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
At the end of the day I don't want a pretty display showing various levels of sh..
All I want is a warning light when full

Non contact sensors that will shoot through plastic are $15.]

Agreed. With the black water tank, I'd be happy with a stick-on sensor placed where I want it (say 90% full, or 3 days left, whatever). The wiring for the non-contact sensors seems a little complicated and unnecessary when looking on Amazon for other water sensing devices.

When searching for sensors, I found several different ones that sensed "leaking" water, i.e., a hot water tank, overflowing toilet, etc. Some of those units had WiFi and alarms built in for $30 to $50 USD.

Where is the $40 battery operated stick-on tank sensor that beeps and calls me on my cell phone (which also goes over my music system)? I'll take one of those, please.

The best we ever had was Philippi. They use ultrasound which was faultless for 8+ years. Can calibrate to liters or gallons. Use it for everything. Fuel water grey black. Everything. That’s 8 tanks and the ultrasound worked on alll.

Going even simpler.
Knocked up before breakfast

A 10 inch clear plastic tube a meat thermometer came in
A plastic chopstick
3 champagne corks

Plug one end with champagne cork 1 - trim end off with filleting knife
Drill hole through cork so chopstick has free unhindered travel
Drill small hole through discarded cork end for tight fit on chopstick end
Trim cork end so as small enough to freely slide up tube but not fall through hole in cork at bottom end (I painted it white)
Use cork 2 to plug top of tube - no smells
Use cork 3 for float on bottom end of chopstick - drill small hole for push fit.

When the level gets about 8 inches from top of tank chopstick with white painted cork end will start travelling up tube indicating time to empty.

And the DIY version with no wires is installed.
Should work a treat
Cost about an hour of time with bits destined for the bin.

Alert for anyone with SCAD issues after installation.

currently use a stick. Have just installed scad external stick on on holding tank but not yet sure it is working correctly ( no time to check and confirm)

For the water tank I am considering a sight tube vertically teed into feed line inside aft cabin closet for easy access. At the top a simple on/off tap to open to air to allow it to equalize to tank level.

So I finally got a round tuit.
Checked and double checked all connections. Long story short. From the factory the color coded wires (two) were in the wrong pin placement. The white wire sends +DC to the sensor so the instructions say. Easy enough to follow this? Right! In my case the orange wire works.

Scad Wiring.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom