Old 06-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #1

City: Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Suggestions for an Inexpensive ice maker

I was originally planning to install a good ice maker for around $1500
drmnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #2

[QUOTE="drmnj;161117"]I was originally planning to install a good ice maker for around $1500. Instead, I'm listening to some recommendations from you guys and I'm going to install a good freezer and an inexpensive ice maker. Can you recommend an inexpensive ($500 or less) ice maker that will work in the marine environment. I've heard that many of them need to be level to produce the ice and obviously that won't work while under way. Thanks for your anticipated advice.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
When our $1000++ clear ice maker crapped out last year, I replaced it with a cheap, probably Chinese made unit I found online. Edgestar brand if that means anything. It is fairly well made with a stainless steel panel in front and the sides and top made of well painted steel. It holds 10-15 lbs of ice.

It cost about $250. I will throw it away and buy a new one when it craps out.

That is what I would do in your situation.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #4

Thanks David. That sounds like what I'm looking for. Is this the model Edgestar you are talking about: EdgeStar Titanium Portable Ice Maker?
Old 06-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
No the portable one looks like it is top opening and only holds a couple of pounds of ice. This is the one we bought for our house:

EdgeStar Built-In Ice Maker With Stainless Steel Door - IB120SS

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #6

City: Galveston
Vessel Name: Sea Catsle
Vessel Model: 1971 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fish
We have one that is a portable unit, 110v, for about $200. It serves us well and can keep up with demand, providing you keep the water tank filled.
Victor_Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_Chat View Post
We have one that is a portable unit, 110v, for about $200. It serves us well and can keep up with demand, providing you keep the water tank filled.
Sounds like the one we have that is probably fairly close in size to an electric bread making machine... Sits on the countertop? It does the trick for us!!
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #8

City: Galveston
Vessel Name: Sea Catsle
Vessel Model: 1971 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Sounds like the one we have that is probably fairly close in size to an electric bread making machine... Sits on the countertop? It does the trick for us!!
Probably the same unit, I've seen the same unit go under several different brands. Yes, it's quite handy and we have it in a cabinet where it sits making it's ice. Pretty quick too, ice can be made within 15-20 minutes, faster when I use the water that I keep chilled in the refrigerator.
Victor_Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #9

City: Manila
Vessel Name: Carabao
Vessel Model: Home built power tri
On race boat deliveries I carry a small ice maker with a cheap inverter.
It’s worked great for years, its much like this one just older. (NewAir AI-100R 28-Pound Portable Icemaker)
Boatgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Port of Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Out-A-Sight
Vessel Model: 1993 Bayliner 4588
I installed the Edge Star 2yrs ago and have had zero problems. Empty the tray and by morning its full again. I install for the same reason, its a throw away item. I can install 3 of these for the price if 1 Uline. Good luck.EdgeStar Built-In Ice Maker With Stainless Steel Door - IB120SS

John
knuckelbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #11

City: EASTHAMPTON, NEW YORK
Vessel Name: REFUGE
Vessel Model: Performance Trawler 35
Ice Maker

Dometic ice maker (Model HZB15S), 120 volt, has a list price of $299. It makes up to 33 lbs. of ice every 24 hours. the size is 17" H x 17" D, 15" W.
Bensjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
All sound like good plans, but I have to caution you that when the compressor on our edgestar fridge failed 2 days out of warranty they were horrific to deal with. The worst customer service I've ever received in my life. Replaced it with a small Frigidaire I found at Lowes for about $75 more than I paid for the edgestar. Night and day better, quieter, colder, less energy draw, a little bigger, less condensation on the glass door, just better in every way.

I understand about throw away stuff, I'm pretty cheap, but I will NEVER buy another edgestar product under any circumstances.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
I will be the lone voice for bigger is better but you can buy a great ice maker and build an ice box. Put the ice maker on the roof and have it dump into the ice box and put a cold plate in the box. Make 2 or 3 hundred pounds of ice and have it for days. You can make ice at the dock and with a good box have it for a week.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
My U-Line, same age as the boat, 1981, still works. We rarely use it but the PO did, a lot.
A tip from my fridge man, clean the radiator thing behind the grille at the base/front of the icemaker. I checked mine after purchase, build up looked like carpet, vacuumed off easily and must help performance.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote