Special Toilet Paper needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, now your butt is soaked--next step is?

Let`s add some class to the discussion. English aristocracy used live swans for toilet cleanups - "Ah, that`s better, pass me one of those swans, would you?" It`s why some TP is called "swansdown".
I`m guessing the swans were "cleaned and recycled", for further use.
Wifey B, if you`ve room for a bidet onboard you could surely accommodate some swans.

Just spent a couple of hours over the weekend pulling the Tecma and disassembling the pump to remove a wad of Kleenex tissue, which took on the consistency of 3/8" rope after a few revolutions of the pump.

That must have been a huge wad of Kleenex! There's a much easier way: if you reverse the wiring, that makes the toilet run backward, which causes it "spit up" clogs. Call Thetford (they own Tecma) for instructions on how to do that.

I first learned about it from a brand new Selene owner in who'd tied up next to the boat I'd been brought to Alaska to solve some problems on (URSA Major) in 2006. Of course I had to ask 'em what toilets were on the boat and how they liked 'em. Tecma...they loved 'em! Any problems? Yes, one...they'd had their teenage granddaughters aboard for a week...when the girls ran out of TP, they used paper towels instead of asking for more. Took 'em 3 days to clog the toilet. Granddad called the dealer in Seattle who told 'em how to fix it...it worked! I've since heard of it working on other electric macerating toilets too.

Great Trick! Thanks Peggie - You're the best!! :thumb:

Almost seems that toilet designers/manufacturers should have a model option that for a bit more initial purchase cost the "Back-It-Out" feature could be available with simply a forward/reverse electric switch. :whistling: :socool:

Attachments

• 91PspwQGPNL._SL1500_.jpg
    91PspwQGPNL._SL1500_.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 59
Chris,
The head is a Jabsco Model 37010-Series and the macerator pump is Model 18590-Series.

Peggie's info applies...

But FWIW, and since it might be similar, our electric-flush head is a 37045, and we use the same extra soft 2-ply paper that we would use at home. Haven't yet found a critical quantity, but we do pay some attention to that, usually limited to no more than two rounds of 5-sheets each flush.

(Haven't ever found a single-ply TP that I can abide. Nasty stuff.)

Standard rule onboard: whoever clogs it fixes it.

Our macerator is from the same series. Don't get to use it often since we're mostly always inland, but it's the same macerator we have on the fishbox... and I can tell you it spits out fish bits and scales and so forth just fine.

-Chris

Mrs G said if she and our friends ever had to put dirty poo paper in a separate bucket and dump it after a week that will be the day I sell the boat :rofl:

I said I agree :D

Get several buckets. Fill them w water and put various TP in each one. After a time (one hour to maybe several days) I suspect it will be obvious what TP to use. We never use anything but marine TP.
Ditto this procedure, but I have always been able to find cheap, single-ply from the grocery store that worked as well as the expensive stuff from West Marine.

But -- main point -- if you have questions about your marine head, first and foremost, buy Peggy's book... http://tinyurl.com/y7fg8zcj

I should have referred to the cleaned region as the 3rd largest planet. ;)

True story time...

Back in High School I had a most excellent teacher for math who also taught Physics. Very funny guy and a great teacher. One day in the Physics class they were discussing the size of the planets in the solar system.

One of the sweetest, shyest girls in the class raised her hand for a question.

Which was, "Mr. Smith, how big is Uranus? Which unfortunately with her pronunciation became, "Mr. Smith, how big is your anus?" :eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The class and teacher lost it. :D:D:D

This question was asked at the start of the school year and this little episode was mentioned for the rest of the year. I think it was a long year of that girl. :):):) I would bet at school reunions this "question" gets discussed. :rofl:

The class and teacher had been with each other for years so it was only a friendly ribbing of the girl.

Later,
Dan

On my boat, the rule is that if it does not naturally come out of your body, it does not go into the toilet. We have a small, sealed garbage can in each head for everything else. I also notate the location of a lovely, single stall bathroom at the market near the marina for anyone that may need to, uhh, deposit solid waste. Because the other rule is that if you stop it up, you will be taking it apart with me. My 12 year old son gets that pleasure next time we're at the boat. Bet he visits the market next time...

I've never understood why anyone would force themselves and guests to put used toilet paper in a bag or container. It's gross and not necessary. In many cases, putting raw sewage in with trash or garbage is illegal.

I've been pooping on boats for many years. Even with the most basic manual toilets, I've never had a problem.

Use cheap single ply toilet paper from the grocery store and don't use a bunch.

Single ply isn't the only quick-dissolve TP...in fact, SeaLand has had a 2-ply "marine/rv" TP on the market for more than 10 years. They don't make TP, so if they're selling it, it has be readily available from mass market sources. Any TP that passes the container of water test is safe to use in a marine toilet.

This discussion proves that what I've said for years really is true: You could put 100 homeowners in a group for a week or longer without any of 'em ever mentioning the "sanitation system." But put just TWO boat owners together and I guarantee that one of 'em will bring it up within an hour...within 5 minutes if I show up.

Last edited:
I've never understood why anyone would force themselves and guests to put used toilet paper in a bag or container. It's gross and not necessary. In many cases, putting raw sewage in with trash or garbage is illegal.

I've been pooping on boats for many years. Even with the most basic manual toilets, I've never had a problem.

Use cheap single ply toilet paper from the grocery store and don't use a bunch.

Of course you don't understand, because my wife and children haven't visited your septic system. I know I know, you would teach them how much tp to use and what should and should not be flushed, much like I've already done. I promise you they will still clog it up, but you, yes you, will need to take the toilet apart to clean it.

My solution: don't poop in it, go use the market facilities. If you do, these toilets don't take paper, so put it in the trash bag. Clog it and you're going to learn to take it apart with me.

Of course you don't understand, because my wife and children haven't visited your septic system. I know I know, you would teach them how much tp to use and what should and should not be flushed, much like I've already done. I promise you they will still clog it up, but you, yes you, will need to take the toilet apart to clean it.

My solution: don't poop in it, go use the market facilities. If you do, these toilets don't take paper, so put it in the trash bag. Clog it and you're going to learn to take it apart with me.

If we are close to the head in a marina, we use theirs just because it's bigger and it doesn't fill up our holding tank, but if we poop on the boat, we use toilet paper as intended and have ever since we bought a boat with a head.

If you have people on your boat who can't be trusted with toilet paper, maybe you should just give them X number of squares to take in with them. Or wipe their butts yourself.

"If you have people on your boat who can't be trusted with toilet paper,"

for the geezers there are adult pampers,

And that is what it's come to. Maybe they can borrow Wifey B's bidet?

I thought men don't eat quiche and they don't use bidets. Our house has bidets and that was all new to me. First time I saw my wife use one, I just didn't know. However, I gave in and used it. Whether it's a separate bidet or something like the bum gun, it just makes sense. It's actually very comfortable and leaves a very clean good feeling. Our boat has toilets with bidet attachments. All our bedroom bathrooms at home have bidets in one form or another. I thought it was some crazy French thing but I was wrong. When I go somewhere without one, it just feels very odd and primitive now.

As to toilet paper, there are some 2-ply toilet papers that pass Peggie's test with flying colors. Just test them and see. However, some that pass are far less pleasant feeling than Scott single ply. Oh, and according to the way it's all being labeled we should now be calling it "bathroom tissue."

My Favorite brand is "John Wayne".

It'd rough, tough, and won't take $hit off nobody!

I can't believe I'm really doing this, butt . . . . . . :hide:

Attachments

• difficult041.jpg
    difficult041.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 92
My maternal granddad was an Alabama farmer who only had a 6th grade education. The TVA didn't run power lines to that part of the country until the late 1930s...a well supplied the water, so without an electric pump there was no indoor plumbing till they did. They had an outhouse and chamber pots. One day Pop got out his writing paper and a pencil and laboriously wrote a letter to Sears Roebuck asking for the price of a case of toilet paper. A snotty reply came back informing that he could find that information in the Sears catalog. Pop shot back, "if I still had the catalog, I wouldn't need toilet paper!"

This discussion proves that what I've said for years really is true: You could put 100 homeowners in a group for a week or longer without any of 'em ever mentioning the "sanitation system." But put just TWO boat owners together and I guarantee that one of 'em will bring it up within an hour...within 5 minutes if I show up.

And that discussion likely starts something like "Oh good Peggy. I've been meaning to ask you a question..."

I imagine that unless you make sure not to socialize with boaters, you may get tired of every cocktail party turning to poop talk.

However, I gave in and used it. Whether it's a separate bidet or something like the bum gun, it just makes sense. It's actually very comfortable and leaves a very clean good feeling.

TMI.

The man asked if he needed special toilet paper.

:D

Does the bum gun have any blow back so that it needs to be cleaned before the next person shoots the $hit?

Does the bum gun have any blow back so that it needs to be cleaned before the next person shoots the $hit?

There is some risk if someone doesn't use it properly. Actually the more talked about health concerns are too much use. First, two much water pressure could cause some health issues such as fissures. Second, overuse of it may remove good bacteria that is needed to protect you and lead to health issues.

Wonder how much water flows for a "water-wipe" per #2 ?? Removal of using TT aboard would be nice. Too much water per #2 would not. I'm sure some TT is needed for final dry off.

BTW - Don't matter a toll! We own a pleasure cruiser. I never think of her as a trawler nor care to call her a trawler.

IMO - Term "Trawler" for pleasure boats began as pure Madison Ave hype a few decades ago. The term "Trawler" [holding somewhat of a romantic ring] stuck and is used way too often in reference for nomenclature of way too many type boats. But... the word trawler works well for this forum!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom