Solving holding tank smelling issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I object to the labeling that your provide in your original post. I consider your term "bad bacteria" to be judgmental and ripe with unwarranted pre-conceived notions. After all the bacteria did not choose to be born in their environment. An environment dissimilar to ours, an environment that does not even provide the things that we take for granted everyday, like O2. They and many generations prior to them have labored under adverse conditions in septic tanks worldwide for mankind's benefit. They have worked 24/7 in preventing your vessel from being overrun with solid bio-mass.

Now, as you sit on your thrown and dispense meager sustenance for their survival you wish to label them "Bad". Just remember that all bacteria lives matter.

Good job on the blower though.

My tiny brain is starting to hurt. I can and did disconnect the inlet hose as you suggested. I can and did place hose in a bucket filled with fresh water and white vinegar, flush toilet to suck mixture into toilet while watching black specs flow away, wait an hour, and walla -- suddenly no ugly odor when we flush. Seem to me you were right the first time even with some facts accidentally omitted. Sorry!! And although decaying matter in the inside of the bowl may be more common in salt water systems than fresh they too can become fouled with something it appears. So, thanks again.

Now, as you sit on your thrown and dispense meager sustenance for their survival you wish to label them "Bad". Just remember that all bacteria lives matter.
Good job on the blower though.
Absolutely brilliant! one of the best posts ever on TF!:thumb:

Peggie, I have a Plan D.

:)

Depending on how easy it is to remove/reinstall the freshwater inlet hose...

I have a transfer pump that I bet I can use to inject a cleaning solution. If it's too hard to remove/inject/reinstall via the normal inlet, I bet I can fashion a small enough tube to inject through one of the holes around the rim.

I'm guessing injecting through one hole long enough for the cleaning stuff to come out all the other holes probably would indicate the inlet passageways are saturated?

Not as good as removing the bowl and soaking upside down, I guess.... but I'm usually loath to disconnect stuff that works and isn't leaking. :)

Ditto with the inlet hose, actually, unless it turns out to be easy (and I might also already have a transfer hose already made up that would fit it).

-Chris

it really could have been this easy.

41362.png

Item

Can't tell much about that. Is it an aerobic or enzymatic treatment? Or just perfume? Or...?

-Chris

Peggy Hall: you are welcome to use it however you like but if I see a lot of "SAVE THE ANAEROBICS" T-shirts I will expect a cut.

Peggy, I always enjoy your contributions, thanks for not abandoning us!

Peggie, I have a Plan D. :) Depending on how easy it is to remove/reinstall the freshwater inlet hose...

Removing a hose clamp and pulling off a hose (warming it a bit with a blow dryer makes it MUCH easier), the reversing that process to put it back is a whole bunch easier than your Plan D! :)

Can you post a link to the MSDS for it?

Questions on our products?
info@camco.net

Ill add this if it helps

Is TST® safe for the environment?
Absolutely. TST® products are safe for the environment. TST® contains EPA-approved bacterial control additives and natural soaps, not harmful formaldehydes. Formaldehyde-based products are not allowed in many campgrounds across the United States and Canada. We expect this trend to continue as more people switch to environmentally friendly toilet chemicals such as TST®.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Hmmmmm.... "...bacterial control additives..." Sounds to me like it "controls" ALL bacteria. NOT a good thing IMO. The LAST thing anyone would want to do IF they want a "healthy" holding tank is kill off the "good" guys.

Just to make things clear, there are raw fresh and raw salt water heads depending on where the boats is floating and fresh water heads that use water from the boats water tanks, likely fresh water.

Raw water heads regardless of fresh or salt have living organisms in the water they use, hopefully the heads using tank water do not.

Smell can come from the raw water sitting in the lines regardless of the boat being in salt, fresh or a combination of both.

To the best of my knowledge "TST" is a liquid enzyme, although I have not found the MSDS sheet. RTF please don't get me started on the "good" and "bad" guys again.

SCOTTEDAVIS: Good point, but do not be surprised if you you find there are plenty of living organisms in your boats fresh water supply too. There is a difference between organisms and pathogens. Hopefully all of the pathogens have been eliminated in any drinking water supply.

Greetings,
Mr. u. Not trying to ruffle your sensibilities regarding classification of bacteria as good or bad. That's why I italicized "good" in post #43. It's been nigh on 40+ years since my microbiology courses and I do appreciate the difference between those animalcules that can be a benefit to man and likewise those that are really not on the "want to meet up with" list.
For the purposes of this thread those aerobic "bugs" which accomplish digestion and eliminate odors may be considered "good" and the anaerobes....Yup, you guessed it "not good" (bad).
I think it could easily be argued that an encounter with clostridium botulinum at an inopportune time could easily be a BAD thing whereas the byproducts of the various strains of saccharomyces DO add enjoyment to many a "sundowner" and may be considered a GOOD thing if used responsibly.
Again, my apologies.

Last edited:
RTF very impressive after 40+ years but then again you may have been testing the results of those saccharomyces as a continuing reminder. Most of the little ones that I deal with are related to the water and waste-water industry. Presently my focus is shifting due to circumstance off of all of them and now into nitrites and nitrates. I have yet to determine which are good and bad in that category-bad in water, good to produce foodstuff. Starve or have your babies turn blue from lack of 02 in their blood.

Me too RTF but at yeast I remember the good old times.

Perhaps with some geene splicing we could have multi purpose bacteria.

Dump them im the bilge to eat the old oil , and any shower sump run off and then pump them into the waste tank to have a great desert.

They also had this on their FAQ's page...

What is the difference between Camco’s standard TST® and TST® Orange Power?

Standard TST® leaves a fresh scent. TST® Orange is formulated to promote beneficial bacterial growth that breaks down waste and odors. ...
While tst marine isnt either of those, I posted it as it may provide some insight about the tst marine blurbage...

• Breaks down waste and tissue

Last edited:
Removing a hose clamp and pulling off a hose (warming it a bit with a blow dryer makes it MUCH easier), the reversing that process to put it back is a whole bunch easier than your Plan D! :)

:)

Well, I did mean Plan D could include option 1 (removing the inlet hose) or option 2 (using the rim holes)...

I had a look yesterday, I can reach the inlet -- behind the bowl at the top -- relatively easily, so I'll probably try that first. If it actually comes off easily, and then goes back on with no leakage, all good. (But if it won't go back on with no leakage, I'm in a world of pain, cause it'll mean running a new hose in a complicated direction.)

I expect I'll have to be careful my transfer pump doesn't shoot cleaning solution throughout the boat. :)

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom