Old 09-19-2015, 03:19 PM   #41
Guru

City: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Peggie, I have a Plan D. Depending on how easy it is to remove/reinstall the freshwater inlet hose...
Removing a hose clamp and pulling off a hose (warming it a bit with a blow dryer makes it MUCH easier), the reversing that process to put it back is a whole bunch easier than your Plan D!

HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #42
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
Can you post a link to the MSDS for it?
Questions on our products?
info@camco.net

Ill add this if it helps

Quote:
Is TSTŪ safe for the environment?
Absolutely. TSTŪ products are safe for the environment. TSTŪ contains EPA-approved bacterial control additives and natural soaps, not harmful formaldehydes. Formaldehyde-based products are not allowed in many campgrounds across the United States and Canada. We expect this trend to continue as more people switch to environmentally friendly toilet chemicals such as TSTŪ.

what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #43
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Hmmmmm.... "...bacterial control additives..." Sounds to me like it "controls" ALL bacteria. NOT a good thing IMO. The LAST thing anyone would want to do IF they want a "healthy" holding tank is kill off the "good" guys.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #44
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Just to make things clear, there are raw fresh and raw salt water heads depending on where the boats is floating and fresh water heads that use water from the boats water tanks, likely fresh water.

Raw water heads regardless of fresh or salt have living organisms in the water they use, hopefully the heads using tank water do not.

Smell can come from the raw water sitting in the lines regardless of the boat being in salt, fresh or a combination of both.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:53 PM   #45
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
To the best of my knowledge "TST" is a liquid enzyme, although I have not found the MSDS sheet. RTF please don't get me started on the "good" and "bad" guys again.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:01 PM   #46
Guru

SCOTTEDAVIS: Good point, but do not be surprised if you you find there are plenty of living organisms in your boats fresh water supply too. There is a difference between organisms and pathogens. Hopefully all of the pathogens have been eliminated in any drinking water supply.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:36 PM   #47
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. u. Not trying to ruffle your sensibilities regarding classification of bacteria as good or bad. That's why I italicized "good" in post #43. It's been nigh on 40+ years since my microbiology courses and I do appreciate the difference between those animalcules that can be a benefit to man and likewise those that are really not on the "want to meet up with" list.
For the purposes of this thread those aerobic "bugs" which accomplish digestion and eliminate odors may be considered "good" and the anaerobes....Yup, you guessed it "not good" (bad).
I think it could easily be argued that an encounter with clostridium botulinum at an inopportune time could easily be a BAD thing whereas the byproducts of the various strains of saccharomyces DO add enjoyment to many a "sundowner" and may be considered a GOOD thing if used responsibly.
Again, my apologies.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #48
Guru

RTF very impressive after 40+ years but then again you may have been testing the results of those saccharomyces as a continuing reminder. Most of the little ones that I deal with are related to the water and waste-water industry. Presently my focus is shifting due to circumstance off of all of them and now into nitrites and nitrates. I have yet to determine which are good and bad in that category-bad in water, good to produce foodstuff. Starve or have your babies turn blue from lack of 02 in their blood.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:25 PM   #49
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. u. Thanks but the only use of the sacc' strains I use currently are bakery related.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #50
Guru

Me too RTF but at yeast I remember the good old times.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:31 AM   #51
FF
Guru

Perhaps with some geene splicing we could have multi purpose bacteria.

Dump them im the bilge to eat the old oil , and any shower sump run off and then pump them into the waste tank to have a great desert.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:46 AM   #52
Guru

City: kemah
They also had this on their FAQ's page...

Quote:
What is the difference between Camco’s standard TSTŪ and TSTŪ Orange Power?

Standard TSTŪ leaves a fresh scent. TSTŪ Orange is formulated to promote beneficial bacterial growth that breaks down waste and odors. ...
While tst marine isnt either of those, I posted it as it may provide some insight about the tst marine blurbage...

Quote:
  • Breaks down waste and tissue
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #53
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
Removing a hose clamp and pulling off a hose (warming it a bit with a blow dryer makes it MUCH easier), the reversing that process to put it back is a whole bunch easier than your Plan D!

Well, I did mean Plan D could include option 1 (removing the inlet hose) or option 2 (using the rim holes)...

I had a look yesterday, I can reach the inlet -- behind the bowl at the top -- relatively easily, so I'll probably try that first. If it actually comes off easily, and then goes back on with no leakage, all good. (But if it won't go back on with no leakage, I'm in a world of pain, cause it'll mean running a new hose in a complicated direction.)

I expect I'll have to be careful my transfer pump doesn't shoot cleaning solution throughout the boat.

-Chris