Old 09-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #21
Guru

City: AR
If your toilet is a sea water toilet and if the odor is concentrated in the toilet, most likely the intake pump has pulled in some animal or vegetable sea life that has died and is decaying in the flush water INTAKE hose, pump and channel in the the rim of the bowl. If you're seeing any black flecks in the flush water, that's definitely what it is.

The cure: Disconnect your intake hose from the thru-hull ('twould prob'ly be a good idea to close the seacock first)...stick into a bucket of clean FRESH water to which you've added a quart of distilled white vinegar. Flush the whole bucketful through the toilet. Wait an hour and follow it with another bucketful of just clean fresh water.

That should flush out the offender if it's in the plumbing. To find out, leave the intake hose off the thru-hull for a couple of days...keep the bucket full of clean fresh water and the intake hose in the bucket. Is it a PITA to have to keep putting water in the bucket to flush? Yes, but it's only for a day or two. Do NOT just pour water into the bowl...that will destroy the toilet's intake impeller.

If you still have odor, the source is in the channel in the rim of the bowl...in which case you'll need to remove the bowl and blast out the channel with a hose nozzle to the connection at the back of the bowl. Prob'ly best to put the bowl on the dock to do this.

Whether to install a strainer on the intake line to prevent this from happening again depends on a couple of things. If you're in shallow water with a lot of bottom vegetation, a strainer would be a good idea. But it you're in deep water that's home to more sand and rocks than sea life, you prob'ly don't need one.

HeadMistress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #22
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
If you still have odor, the source is in the channel in the rim of the bowl...in which case you'll need to remove the bowl and blast out the channel with a hose nozzle to the connection at the back of the bowl. Prob'ly best to put the bowl on the dock to do this.

I've been thinking there's maybe a way to inject a cleaning solution into the rim channel of the bowl thru the little holes... maybe with a turkey baster, or some other kind of tube with a squeeze bulb on it...

Haven't tried, don't have an odor issue... but I think I could probably clean out some rust and maybe lime build-up that's been in there from before we bought the boat. We've only used heavily filtered water through our whole freshwater system, so I doubt we've had any deterioration since we got the boat... just seems like maybe a useful thing to address eventually.

Maybe CLR or some such? Let it soak? Followed by immediate pump-out/rinse/pump-out/rinse, maybe...

-Chris

Old 09-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryj2 View Post
Ours is a slightly different situation. We have electric pump Jabscos and 40 gal. holding tank that is pumped and rinsed twice each week. (My wife insists). About a month ago -- and really for the first time -- the aft toilet began stinking to high heaven at every flush. Twice poured in and worked through system a gal. of West's cleaner/deodorant (the blue stuff) and let it sit in the hoses overnight. Very small result and none after about two flushes. Replaced hose from toilet to tank. Surprised to get no benefit at all. Still emits odor big time with every flush. Could something weird be going on in the bowels of the toilet itself or what?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Fresh water or salt water flush? Critters can build up and die inside salt water flush toilets. They will emit an odor.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:23 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I've been thinking there's maybe a way to inject a cleaning solution into the rim channel of the bowl thru the little holes... maybe with a turkey baster, or some other kind of tube with a squeeze bulb on it...
If there's decaying matter trapped in the rim channel, no cleaning solution is gonna magically make it disappear...that takes water under pressure. Once you've flushed out the channel, THEN it might make sense to shoot a little CLR or a dilute solution of muriatic acid through it to dissolve any mineral buildup...but doncha think it would be a whole lot easier to inject it through the fitting at the back of the bowl instead of through all of those little holes one by one...which, unless you remove the bowl and turn it upside down to do this, wouldn't circulate through the rim anyway, it would just run right back out.

The toilet pump does a good enough job of pushing water through the channel to run some acid infused water through it...so stick the intake hose in a bucket or jar of dilute muriatic solution and flush just long enough to see it coming out the holes. Wait an hour, then rinse.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:26 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Chula Vista, Ca
Vessel Name: Curly Sez Wow
Vessel Model: Gulf Star
Actually I forgot to mention that our heads are freshwater - BUT - have nevertheless seen "black flecks" emitting from the rim on occasion. Will go ahead and try the remedies suggested. Thank you to HeadMistress and other.
henryj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:05 PM   #26
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
I have watched ( yes I am a lurker) all these discussions on holding tank smells for a few years now. I frankly don't get it. It appears the experts want you to turn the system into a sewage treatment plant with the proper digestion. To me that doesn't make sense for a person who actually uses there boat to cruise. We pump out every 10 days on at 42 gal tank. We have Tecma toilets. I have installed vacuum flush toilets and you can have them, to many moving parts. I throw a splash of blue toilet deodorizer in each bowl and we have had no issue in six years. I don't get all the micro chemistry if you pump out frequently.
BTW if you don't know about Tecma you may want to research it. With my limited experience, I don't know how anything could beat them for reliability.
fryedaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:18 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
If there's decaying matter trapped in the rim channel, no cleaning solution is gonna magically make it disappear...that takes water under pressure. Once you've flushed out the channel, THEN it might make sense to shoot a little CLR or a dilute solution of muriatic acid through it to dissolve any mineral buildup...but doncha think it would be a whole lot easier to inject it through the fitting at the back of the bowl instead of through all of those little holes one by one...which, unless you remove the bowl and turn it upside down to do this, wouldn't circulate through the rim anyway, it would just run right back out.

The toilet pump does a good enough job of pushing water through the channel to run some acid infused water through it...so stick the intake hose in a bucket or jar of dilute muriatic solution and flush just long enough to see it coming out the holes. Wait an hour, then rinse.

Should have mentioned we're freshwater, so I don't really expect critters or anything in there.

Just maybe some rust and lime or calcium or whatever build-up from the freshwater supply.

Can't tell how easy it might be to get to the inlet hose fitting at the back of the bowl; not much room to work... and without a pressurized source, I've doubted it would flush. (?)

Hence my philosophical musings.

-Chris
Old 09-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Should have mentioned we're freshwater, so I don't really expect critters or anything in there.
It always helps to have ALL the information.

[/QUOTE]Just maybe some rust and lime or calcium or whatever build-up from the freshwater supply.

Can't tell how easy it might be to get to the inlet hose fitting at the back of the bowl; not much room to work... [/QUOTE]

Removing the bowl isn't THAT hard to do...disconnect the inlet hose, remove 4 bolts and lift. A new bowl gasket(flat piece of rubber that seals the connection) when you replace it would be a good idea.

[/QUOTE]and without a pressurized source, I've doubted it would flush.[/QUOTE]

It would flush anything poured into the bowl, but it wouldn't pull any water from a bucket.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryj2 View Post
Actually I forgot to mention that our heads are freshwater - BUT - have nevertheless seen "black flecks" emitting from the rim on occasion. Will go ahead and try the remedies suggested. Thank you to HeadMistress and other.
I just love seeing "forgot to mention..." AFTER I've spent 45 minutes typing instructions for a solution to a problem that can't exist in that situation.

You CAN'T try the remedy I described because the inlet line isn't connected to a thru-hull, it's teed into a your fresh water system. Flushing out the system using a bucket of water is impossible because there's no intake pump in your toilet.

Ok <sigh>... The intake line can't be source of your odor unless your whole fresh water system is contaminated and also stinks. So the source of the odor is most likely the discharge side of the system.

How old is your toilet? When, if ever, was the joker valve replaced?

Have you had small children aboard? I'm not asking if one went missing, only wondering what one of 'em might have flushed...like a minnow maybe...
Old 09-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
It always helps to have ALL the information.
Quote:
Just maybe some rust and lime or calcium or whatever build-up from the freshwater supply.

Can't tell how easy it might be to get to the inlet hose fitting at the back of the bowl; not much room to work...
Quote:
Removing the bowl isn't THAT hard to do...disconnect the inlet hose, remove 4 bolts and lift. A new bowl gasket(flat piece of rubber that seals the connection) when you replace it would be a good idea.
Quote:
and without a pressurized source, I've doubted it would flush.
Quote:
It would flush anything poured into the bowl, but it wouldn't pull any water from a bucket.

Yeah, sorry, point taken.

And I'll study on those alternative approaches.

-Chris
Old 09-18-2015, 01:19 PM   #31
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
I object to the labeling that your provide in your original post. I consider your term "bad bacteria" to be judgmental and ripe with unwarranted pre-conceived notions. After all the bacteria did not choose to be born in their environment. An environment dissimilar to ours, an environment that does not even provide the things that we take for granted everyday, like O2. They and many generations prior to them have labored under adverse conditions in septic tanks worldwide for mankind's benefit. They have worked 24/7 in preventing your vessel from being overrun with solid bio-mass.

Now, as you sit on your thrown and dispense meager sustenance for their survival you wish to label them "Bad". Just remember that all bacteria lives matter.

Good job on the blower though.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #32
Guru

I may have to print and frame that to hang in my office.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Chula Vista, Ca
Vessel Name: Curly Sez Wow
Vessel Model: Gulf Star
My tiny brain is starting to hurt. I can and did disconnect the inlet hose as you suggested. I can and did place hose in a bucket filled with fresh water and white vinegar, flush toilet to suck mixture into toilet while watching black specs flow away, wait an hour, and walla -- suddenly no ugly odor when we flush. Seem to me you were right the first time even with some facts accidentally omitted. Sorry!! And although decaying matter in the inside of the bowl may be more common in salt water systems than fresh they too can become fouled with something it appears. So, thanks again.
henryj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #34
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
Now, as you sit on your thrown and dispense meager sustenance for their survival you wish to label them "Bad". Just remember that all bacteria lives matter.
Good job on the blower though.
Absolutely brilliant! one of the best posts ever on TF!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #35
Guru

Peggie, I have a Plan D.

Depending on how easy it is to remove/reinstall the freshwater inlet hose...

I have a transfer pump that I bet I can use to inject a cleaning solution. If it's too hard to remove/inject/reinstall via the normal inlet, I bet I can fashion a small enough tube to inject through one of the holes around the rim.

I'm guessing injecting through one hole long enough for the cleaning stuff to come out all the other holes probably would indicate the inlet passageways are saturated?

Not as good as removing the bowl and soaking upside down, I guess.... but I'm usually loath to disconnect stuff that works and isn't leaking.

Ditto with the inlet hose, actually, unless it turns out to be easy (and I might also already have a transfer hose already made up that would fit it).

-Chris
Old 09-19-2015, 11:54 AM   #36
Guru

City: kemah
it really could have been this easy.

Item
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #37
Guru

Can't tell much about that. Is it an aerobic or enzymatic treatment? Or just perfume? Or...?

-Chris
Old 09-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #38
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Peggy Hall: you are welcome to use it however you like but if I see a lot of "SAVE THE ANAEROBICS" T-shirts I will expect a cut.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:50 PM   #39
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Peggy, I always enjoy your contributions, thanks for not abandoning us!
Old 09-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
it really could have been this easy.

Item
Can you post a link to the MSDS for it?