Old 01-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Polaris
Vessel Model: Ray Kemp Cruiser/Motor Sailer
Holding Tank Systems

Hi,

Seeking advice on simple holding tank systems that are readily available in Australia suitable for fitting in an Island Gypsy 32?

Thanks,
Brizvagas Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Do you already have a holding tank and want to replace it? Then measure the existing tank and seach the Internet for a similar sized tank with the fittings in the same place. Some companies will make a custom tank for you or install fittings where you need them in an otherwise stock tank.

If you don't already have a holding tank, you'll need to measure the space available, figure out where the fittings need to be, then search the Internet for what you need or a company to build what you need.

If this is all new to you and there's no existing system, it might be best to hire a pro so you end up with a properly installed and working system.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Consider space in bilge between engines and have Atlas tanks make a custom tank to fit. They will use a suitable no-smell poly and will incorporate inlet and outlet flanges/nipples/holes that that you require. Vetus has a holding tank valve (stops the tank imploding when pumped out) and also an excellent pump...their schematic attached below. Do you have a toilet(s) yet....if yes, what type?
Attached Thumbnails
holding tank system vetus.jpg  
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #4

City: Palm Springs CA
Vessel Name: On The Rocks
Vessel Model: Gulf Star MKII
Would like to have a tank in the bilge but the space is irregular (keel) shaped so hard to measure. Has anyone heard of some kind of product to pour in place or inflate to create a plug for a mold? Vetus used to have some kind of tank that inflated and then cured to become a hard tank but I think it's no longer on the market.
On The Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Suggest you get a book on fiberglass repair or fabrication. It is very easy to work with and when you get used to it, it can be addicting in that there isn't much you cant do with it. There is a certain type of foam wall board insulation that will not melt with fiberglass resin and you could use that for a form. I cant remember which one it is. Whatever you do, do not build this in place. The resin fumes are overwhelming and could possibly kill you. build it out in an open area.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Not sure why you think it is hard to measure up for a keel/bilge tank...you don't have to use all the space, you just develop a shape that has the widest possible base of constant width & the widest possible top of constant width; and the sides can comprise 2 angles which make the most of the angle within the bilge. I have never heard of Vetus having a pour-in-place tank solution, but what they DO have are flexible tanks suited to waste water in a couple of different sizes and there may be one there that would suit your bilge space...in which case that would be an easy, quick and low-cost solution.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Rocks View Post
Would like to have a tank in the bilge but the space is irregular (keel) shaped so hard to measure. Has anyone heard of some kind of product to pour in place or inflate to create a plug for a mold? Vetus used to have some kind of tank that inflated and then cured to become a hard tank but I think it's no longer on the market.
You know the hull can be the bottom of the tank?

So measuring is not really all that big of a deal because if you have room you can build in place.

You build up 4 walls with a flange on top.....filet the inside bottoms and glass/epoxy...then a epoxy/glass (with or without plywood core) top can be glassed or bolted/gasketed on. Will probably do the same on my boat when I get around to enlarging/customizing my system.

My Albin has a glass tank with gel coat inside....scrubbed out clean last year and not a stain or hint of a smell when clean.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #8
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizvagas Mark View Post
Hi,

Seeking advice on simple holding tank systems that are readily available in Australia suitable for fitting in an Island Gypsy 32?

Thanks,
IMO

If you are at all in question regarding toilet and black water tank - Do yourself a BIG long term favor and hire an expert... as well, buy only the BEST products. Holding tank is one of the most important features of your boat.

Mistakes with black water can ruin your day after day after day after...
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:12 AM   #9
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
I was going to write up something but Paul (Aquabelle) has given you all the info you need for doing the job here in Aus. Atlas are a SE Qld company , I think they are still based on the Sunny Coast.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #10
FF
Guru

The Canadians are real serious about holding tanks , and how they are emptied , as much is into their lakes , their drinking water.

In the US folks seem to have tanks because they are forced to , not because of any pollution hassle from cruising boats.

The simplest lake system is a connection to the tank from the head and then only a deck waste fitting.

For operation elsewhere an Edison 1-1/2 manual bilge pump , mounted on a board , on board anyway as emergency gear,is simply plugged into the waste fitting .

For non inspected areas only a small tank is required as its so easy to empty.

And the system will pass the most difficult inspection , anywhere.

IN AU it will be the boat use , and the ease of dockside pumping that will decide on system size.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #11
Art
Guru

Our 34' tri: Front stateroom electric macerator toilet goes directly into 30 gal holding tank for pump out, NO overboard outlet exists. Master stateroom electric macerator toilet empties into function able Raritan LectraSan with an obscure, padlocked 50 amp main breaker cut off switch to negate or to power toilet’s engine and LectraSan. Toilet seat custom clamped to bowl with custom stitch and zippered white vinyl cover that sets over entire unit (so toilet is not seen and becomes a seat only)... this security trio stops all that toilet’s functions and use... when appropriate! That arrangement for forward and rear heads’ toilet use or shut down passes with flying colors... when required... !

BTW: Some six years ago I had a Raritan installation expert set up our forward holding tank arrangement. He also serviced our LectraSan set up in master head. Forward head was previously LectraSan too... so I have a spare unit if needed. He did a fine job... we've not had a minutes problem since!
Old 02-26-2015, 10:42 PM   #12

City: Fort Pierce, FL
Vessel Name: Dot Calm
I have a 1982 32' Island Gypsy Sedan with an electric LectraSan system. I seem to have some odor in the head and not sure how to get rid of it. Are there any deodorizers I might be able to add to rid the head of the odor?

Perhaps I should double check if there might be sewage in the holding tank? It's an old boat and I don't know if anyone pumped any waste into the holding tank. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Rick
Monk36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:34 PM   #13
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
I have a 1982 32' Island Gypsy Sedan with an electric LectraSan system. I seem to have some odor in the head and not sure how to get rid of it. Are there any deodorizers I might be able to add to rid the head of the odor?

Perhaps I should double check if there might be sewage in the holding tank? It's an old boat and I don't know if anyone pumped any waste into the holding tank. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Rick

First, check your Y valve to see if it is operational. I am assuming you have a dual system whereby you can pump directly overboard,or into your holding tank.It is the Y valve that determines which direction the waste goes.Is it operational?. If not try running some Canola or sunflower oil through the system, via the bowl and trying manually loosen the valve.If this doesn't work you may have to buy a new valve.

Once you have the valve working rinse out the holding tank with lots of fresh water and perhaps a chemical designed for the holding tank. Bleach?

Second, do you use raw(salt) water for flushing, if you do the toilets should be well flushed with fresh water regularly to ensure that there are no residue micro organisms in the lines that die and decay, which creates a odoriferous salty smell.

Obviously, in all of the above take note of your relevant laws regarding discharge of black water.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:25 AM   #14
FF
Guru

I would measure the floor area in the existing head and try to find a plastic tank that would fill a large area .

I would mount a RV gravity style toilet on the surface and build a floor to step on on top of the tank.

Moving the head up will aid the accuracy for gents and not be a hassle for the folks that sit.

The reduction in water volume will allow a smaller tank be ysed with no fitting or filling hassles.

Run a waste pipe up to the deck and the pee pee police will be happy.

Plug in a maceriator or hand pump to the same deck fitting for overboard discharge..

Low cost , great reliability ,LEGAL WORLDWIDE.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:07 AM   #15
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
More than likely you need to clean out the water passages in the bowl itself. As mentioned organic matter can get stuck in there and rot. To clean it properly remove the bowl from the base, take it off the boat and turn it upside down. Then you can access the water passage molded into the bowl that feeds the smaller passages that shoots the water around the rim of the bowl.

Just flushing the bowl with water doesn't clean the small water passages around the lip of the rim very well. So I pour a mixture of diluted muriatic acid into the passages and let it sit. Then repeat it a few times while scrubbing the rim holes between flushes. Then flush the passages real well with a hose. You might be amazed at all the crud that comes out. And how much more water flows out the rim passages when you reinstall the bowl on the base and flush the head.

To prevent stuff from acumulating in the future install an inline filter in the raw water line feeding the head.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #16
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
More than likely you need to clean out the water passages in the bowl itself. As mentioned organic matter can get stuck in there and rot. To clean it properly remove the bowl from the base, take it off the boat and turn it upside down. Then you can access the water passage molded into the bowl that feeds the smaller passages that shoots the water around the rim of the bowl.

Just flushing the bowl with water doesn't clean the small water passages around the lip of the rim very well. So I pour a mixture of diluted muriatic acid into the passages and let it sit. Then repeat it a few times while scrubbing the rim holes between flushes. Then flush the passages real well with a hose. You might be amazed at all the crud that comes out. And how much more water flows out the rim passages when you reinstall the bowl on the base and flush the head.

To prevent stuff from acumulating in the future install an inline filter in the raw water line feeding the head.
CAUTION!!! muriatic acid... mentioned above is a strong corrosive to metals. It can eat them alive while the metal is immersed! For most rubbers/plastic it does not react corrosively. Just be careful.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgypsy View Post

Thanks,
Rick
You've hijacked someone else's thread here. The OP is asking about replacing a holding tank. You've essentially come along and changed the subject to head odor.

It would be more polite to start a new post on a new subject.

Just my .02
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #18
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Call that a hijack?

If it was a real hijack we would now be discussing Leonard Nimoy's death and the best episode of Star Trek, with a few comments from the mods thrown in.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #19

City: Fort Pierce, FL
Vessel Name: Dot Calm
Agreed. Just don't know how to do that.
Can you point me in the right direction as to how to start a new topic?
Thanks and sorry to be impolite
Monk36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:35 PM   #20
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Holding Tank Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgypsy View Post
Agreed. Just don't know how to do that.
Can you point me in the right direction as to how to start a new topic?
Thanks and sorry to be impolite

You can find everything you need to know about doing that and a whole lot more at this thread.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...-etc-5739.html

It's a good read for new folks and old hands alike. It is a sticky at the top of the Forum Suggestion section.

Now, my favorite Star Trek episode was...

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote