Old 01-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Sink Drain

Thought I would post a question about a galley sink drain hose. Our is draining really slow and this old body would have a hard time replacing it as where it runs in the engine room behind some tanks. Does anyone have a secret formula for cleaning out the existing hose in place.......

"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #2

City: Victoria BC
Vessel Name: LUCKY US
Vessel Model: American Tug
http://www.amazon.ca/Turbo-Snake-Dra...ds=drain+snake

Try this

jukesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Before I used mechanical means I would use some chemicals. Never used this stuff but I'm sure there are "safe" products available.
Buy Earth Friendly - Natural Earth Enzymes Drain Opener - 2 lbs. at LuckyVitamin.com
Old 01-25-2014, 12:14 AM   #4
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Thought I would post a question about a galley sink drain hose. Our is draining really slow and this old body would have a hard time replacing it as where it runs in the engine room behind some tanks. Does anyone have a secret formula for cleaning out the existing hose in place.......
Muriatic acid works well. If its PVC I use it straight. Otherwise, diluted 50% would be safer, and leave it no longer than 3 minutes or so before flushing. Expect some foaming, which just shows you're dissolving the deposits.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:21 AM   #5

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: All Night Long
Vessel Model: Regal 2765
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Mine was very slow too. It drains into a sump which pumps overboard. I pulled a line through the drain hose and found no blockage. Turns out I just needed to vent the sump and it now drains like a champ!
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:26 AM   #6
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I was at Lowes yesterday looking at wet / dry shop vacs. They had a neat little accessory. It was a big suction cup, like a plumbers plunger, that went on the end of the vacuum hose and was used to suck blockages out of clogged drains. Can't say how well it will work but it looked like a good idea.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Where does it drain to? Overboard or a sump? If it drains to a sump I would be concerned with using agressive chemicals. I would make sure whatever you use is safe for the hoses. It's not pipe like in a home.

Is there a trap? A downward loop in the hose, usually just below the sink? If so, that's probably where the blockage is. If the sink drains overboard, there is no need for a trap. Plumb it direct and you'll solve the issue. You may hear outside noises when underway, if that bothers you, put the stopper in.

On many boats, it's possible to run the drain directly overboard near the sink. On mine, it's less than a two foot run and that pretty much eliminates any chance of a blockage. Of course, if you drop a ring down the sink it's gone forever.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
Guru

It is a direct drain from the double sinks overboard using a clear vinyl reinforced coil plastic hose about 5' long, no traps or loops. The problem is it behind the fuel tank where it goes thru the hull above the waterline. Just wish I was 40 years younger and flexible.........
Old 01-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
" Just wish I was 40 years younger and flexible........." I'm sure the hose feels the same way....
Old 01-25-2014, 09:19 PM   #10
Guru

Spent part of day poking a piece of old 10/2 electrical wire up through the thru hull in the side of the hull with water running in the sinks, then pulled the elbow off at the sink and poked it from that end as well. After that took a garden hose section with the end piece cut off to flush it out and ran the hose down it with water flowing. Now it runs free, the admiral will be happy!.............