Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
Jenny's Avatar
 
City: Ponte Vedra Beach, Fl
Country: US
Vessel Name: Jenny
Vessel Model: Bristol Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30
shower pump/ auto or float switch

I have to replace the pump that takes care of my shower and sink water. I have a float switch set up now. Should I switch to an "all in one"?
__________________
Advertisement

Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Guru
 
Phil Fill's Avatar
 
City: Everett Wa
Country: US
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
I have to replace the pump that takes care of my shower and sink water. I have a float switch set up now. Should I switch to an "all in one"?
I been using the all one for for the last 15+ years, West Marine. Had to replace twice, which took about 15 minutes.
__________________

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,783
Personally, I like separate switch and pump on sumps as well as bilges. The separate switches tend to be more reliable. My sumps, by design, also act as back ups to the bilge system so I use the highest quality I can get, which means a Rule 2000 pump and a Ultra PumpSwitch. Might be considered overkill in many a budget minded yachtsman's view. Up to a few months ago, full time liveaboards for 5 years so the sumps get a lot of use.. in the master the shower, the vanity and a big A/C (condensate) unit all drain in there.
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
supertramp's Avatar
 
Country: Cubazuela
Vessel Name: " Supertramp "
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Widebody 50 feet
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
I been using the all one for for the last 15+ years, West Marine. Had to replace twice, which took about 15 minutes.

Nice pump but you lost the chance work with relais, this relais give a large life for the pump.
I change my float switch for an electronic switch -underway on a hardride the restwater in the bilge put on / off the pump all the time.
http://www.iboats.com/Mayfair-Ultima...-view_id.49248
That switch comes with 8 sec. timer !
_______________
Norbert
supertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertramp View Post
Nice pump but you lost the chance work with relais, this relais give a large life for the pump.
I change my float switch for an electronic switch -underway on a hardride the restwater in the bilge put on / off the pump all the time.
Mayfair Ultima Bilge Switch - Johnson Pump 36303 - iboats
That switch comes with 8 sec. timer !
_______________
Norbert
The problem with those as sump switches is that they get scummed up and start short cycling.
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
My shower has no sump, just a "run dry" capable pump that you turn on and off manually. It works fine.

My previous boat had a sump, float switch, and pump. The float switch failed even though we never used the shower.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
Guru
 
SomeSailor's Avatar
 
City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
My shower has no sump, just a "run dry" capable pump that you turn on and off manually. It works fine.
Mine as well, but I need to get the pump moved further downstream. It's overkill for a shower pump, but when you turn it on it makes this way loud grooowwl when it hits empty. It'll make ya reach for the switch pretty quick. Sounds more like a macerator pump than a shower pump. I think the shower drain amplifies the sound quite a bit.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSailor View Post
Mine as well, but I need to get the pump moved further downstream. It's overkill for a shower pump, but when you turn it on it makes this way loud grooowwl when it hits empty. It'll make ya reach for the switch pretty quick. Sounds more like a macerator pump than a shower pump. I think the shower drain amplifies the sound quite a bit.
It depends on what it's fastened to. Anything not really solid will act as a sounding board. Think of a guitar body.

You might be able to leave it where it is if you can buy or fabricate some rubber isolation mounts.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
Guru
 
SomeSailor's Avatar
 
City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 784
Neah... it's resonating up through the hose...think trumpet and you'll know the look on my wife's face when I installed the $180 pump.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSailor View Post
Neah... it's resonating up through the hose...think trumpet and you'll know the look on my wife's face when I installed the $180 pump.
Mine is probably four feet away by hose and I never noticed it being loud but I never really paid attention. Men and women (most of them) look at things like this differently. To a man, especially the man who installed it, the noise is the sound of work being done. To a woman, it's just an anoying noise.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
bshanafelt's Avatar
 
City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 288
waterwitch - no moving parts. After half a dozen flapper style failed, went to one of these. Worth the $35
bshanafelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
Guru
 
SomeSailor's Avatar
 
City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 784
It's more than enough pump to draw from some distance away. I installed it on our 4th of July trip last year. Way too much pump, but it sure can get loud through the drain.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
TF Site Team
 
Pau Hana's Avatar


 
City: Seattle, WA
Country: Good Ol' US of A!
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshanafelt View Post
waterwitch - no moving parts. After half a dozen flapper style failed, went to one of these. Worth the $35
I almost went for a water witch, but thought twice about it when I inspected the sump and found everything coated with the residue of bathing- scum, oils, etc. if the water witch is scum covered, it can't complete the circuit and turn on the pump- so my logic tells me.....
__________________

__________________
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012