Old 03-22-2017, 06:12 PM   #1

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Silver
Vessel Model: Helmsman 31
Shower Head Idea - Strong but saves

This is truly a mundane topic, but I like to sweat the details. I have personally owned two boats with shower systems installed. Not to mention real property as investments.

I am always thinking about ways to subtly improve the experience onboard. I did some research about venturi valve shower heads because I was looking for a smaller but forceful shower head.

To me, force equals at least a 'perceived' sense that soap is being washed away. Not to mention comfort.

Bottom line is I decided to see what the cruise ship companies use and I came across this showerhead used on Royal Caribbean.

http://www.mixwater.pl/wp-content/up...N_20121001.pdf

I ordered one, and I have to say it is great for a small boat too. Lots of force and MUCH less flow. Some of the other low-flow showerheads out there are huge. This one is small, light, simple, VERY forceful and designed by Germans.

FYI, I have no business relationship with this company.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 4.10.11 PM.jpg  
dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #2
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
I'm really happy that you are intent on being clean, hate the thought of dirty boaters bobbing about out there. Good info.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:13 PM   #3

If I'm not underway, I'm rubba dubbin away
Old 03-23-2017, 07:48 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
If that works for you, fine but I don't see any shutoff valve on the showerhead. If you want to save water, you get a showerhead with a built in shutoff valve (most marine showerheads have this feature).

Start your shower, get yourself wet, shut the water flow off, soap up and scrub, then turn the water back on to rinse.

Or do as the sailboaters do, jump in the river to get wet, climb out to soap and scrub, then jump back into the river to rinse off. Add a final rinse with the boat shower to rinse the salt off. Sometimes they just wait for it to rain to take a shower.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Common and inexpensive
Attached Images

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:21 AM   #6
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
It's a great link for info but I suspect it's for Europe mainly. Didn't see a way to purchase in USA.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #7
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
We enjoy our long, hot showers but that's not practical on our boat. We do what I suggested above (turning off the water, not jumping into the river) if we're showering on the boat. If we're in a marina, we use the marina showers when available. Plenty of hot water (usually).

We also shower in the cockpit rather than inside if there's nobody nearby. This saves a lot of cleanup afterwards.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #8
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
My boat came with showers with hose heads. Now they have conventional house full flow heads. That's one of the reasons I have a water maker.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #9
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Common and inexpensive
I think we've had this conversation before, but to summarize, consider whether you want the water truly "off" while soaping up, or reduced to a trickle.

The one pictured, I believe, leaves a trickle, wasting a not-insignificant amount of water. I prefer the full shutoff, available (as far as I can tell) only on line. I got mine from Amazon.

In theory, the trickle prevents the first blast of water after it's turned back on from being too hot or too cold. In my experience, that still happens, so I always wait a second before stepping back into the flow. The trickle also prevents morons from forgetting to turn the shower off when done. If that's a problem with your crew, go with the trickle.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: River Trent
Vessel Model: Profile 33
I more than doubled the amount of hot water capacity on board by adding a second calorifier in line after the existing one. Thankfully there was loads of room at the rear of the engine bay for it.

Now there's enough hot water for showers for 4 people one after the other, plus washing up, a wash the next morning and more besides. It'll stay usefully warm / hot for around 36 hours too.

I must admit though, the shower is still the biggest water consumer on the boat so this does look appealing. Not sure it's compatible with my mixer tap though, not sure it would sit as neatly in it as the current one
Trundlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:14 PM   #11

I bought two of these on eBay. They fit any shower hose that I already have. My current boat shower has no cutoff valve other than a mixer valve. Which means I have to be careful to turn on/off at the same location. I intend to add a shutoff valve. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0258.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	63066
Old 03-23-2017, 10:18 PM   #12
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
If you want to save water, you get a showerhead with a built in shutoff valve (most marine showerheads have this feature).

Start your shower, get yourself wet, shut the water flow off, soap up and scrub, then turn the water back on to rinse.
Sounds like that other miracle invention called a tap.
Don't you have them in America?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:26 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8928 View Post
I bought two of these on eBay. They fit any shower hose that I already have. My current boat shower has no cutoff valve other than a mixer valve. Which means I have to be careful to turn on/off at the same location. I intend to add a shutoff valve.

I need to add a shutoff valve for the same reason.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:27 PM   #14

I bought it on eBay from this company recently and it shipped within 12 hours with a tracking number from Poland via the UK for some reason.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0274.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	63067
Old 03-23-2017, 11:04 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
My boat came with showers with hose heads. Now they have conventional house full flow heads. That's one of the reasons I have a water maker.
Same for us. You can conserve to the Nth degree, or tyou csan buy a RO system ans solve the problem forever
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:04 AM   #16

Shower Head Idea - Strong but saves

I was thinking more in terms of hot water use in the shower. I'm a Southerner living in a place (Seattle) that can really stay at 45 degrees or 55 degrees for months on end. Hot water is important!

There is a reason Starbucks was started here . Krispy Kreme coffee is as good or better but I digress.

Now put me in Florida and....actually just put me in Florida please.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:27 AM   #17
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
I got one of these temperature controlled mixers for only $35. It works very well - allowing me to turn off the shower and then turn it back on with no temperature problems. It even manages to control the temperature when the hot water has been heated by the engine (which is dangerously hot). This makes it a great safety feature especially for guests. I installed one in my guest head and have ordered another for the master.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:22 AM   #18
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
For me having the trickle is most welcome. My hair is long and that trickle makes sudsing the shampoo easier. I have one of the $30 Home Depot shower heads found at a thrift store for 99 cents which is practically perfect.

On thumper the water comes on full force for rinsing. The mist setting actually is a trickle which is helpful. Mine has no shutoff so psneld's gizmo has caught my interest. Thanks for the idea.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:58 AM   #19
FF
Guru

"Now put me in Florida and....actually just put me in Florida please."

WHAT?

Don't you like the PC rules and tax extortion of CA North?

In FL we actually get to see the sun shine for months , not 5 days a year!

Come on down!!!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:39 AM   #20
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Sounds like that other miracle invention called a tap.
Don't you have them in America?
Naw, we still go to the well with a bucket when we want water.

The thing with a tap is that once you turn it off (especially if you have two taps to mix hot & cold) you need to fiddle with it to get the right temperature again.

Far better to put a small shut-off valve at the shower head. Your choice whether you want the trickle or a full shut-off. But be sure you buy the right one; it's hard to find one that doesn't leave a trickle.

Since we sometimes anchor for days, conserving hot (or by then, warm) water becomes an issue. I'd rather have the full shutoff than have to run the genset to make more hot water. At home we let it trickle away, but still like to be able to at least reduce the flow while soaping up.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote