Short term mixing salt and fresh water in holding tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rogerh

Guru
Vessel Name
At Last
Vessel Make
1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
I have two heads that are fresh water heads and one that is going through an electra Scan that is salt water. Normal conditions the output of the electra scan goes overboard. However in the very uncommon condition for me where I am in a no discharge zone I can run the electa scan output to the holding tank. I don't think there are any issues with this especially since it is done very seldom but thought I would see if there might be. Keep in mind this may happen once a year and is pumped out within a few days.

I see no problem. Our forward head is saltwater, and the aft is freshwater- the black water feeds a single tank.

No smells, no problems.

There's so much bacteria in waste that holding tank contents don't even notice whether flush water is salt or fresh...so no need for any concern, whether it's for a day or a year.

It's only in the anaerobic environment in toilet discharge hoses that it matters because sea water can generate odors that can permeate the hose, fresh water shouldn't (but sometimes does).

"However in the very uncommon condition for me where I am in a no discharge zone"

Perhaps , Google it as they are growing like cancer.

Just did. For me just the keys Destin and key west. Destin harbor is the only one I go to very often.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom