Old 11-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #1

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
Shields 1.5" white sanitation hose

I am installing new toilets in the heads. Not usually an intellectual experience but I have a problem. The 1.5" shields sanitation hose does not move much from it's original dimensions no matter what you do to it. I needed to make a 90deg turn in less than 5" so I used a 90deg elbow. For the life of me I cannot get that hose to tighten around the elbow. I think if I torque the hose clamp any tighter it will break. Has anyone had this problem and how did you fix it? Can you use plumbers putty? Silicone caulk? 4200? Any ideas?
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. A. I am unfamiliar with the hose you speak of but have you tried heating it up with a hot air gun or boiling the end in water? I would hesitate to use any sealant unless as a last resort and definitely NOT silicone. Is the elbow matched to the hose in size and brand name?
Old 11-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #3

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
I heated the 3/4 hose with a heat gun and spread it out using a large hollow fid. It shrinks back quickly so it's quite a trick to heat, expand and place on fitting before it's back to it's original size. No such luck with the 1.5". I have not tried heating it to make it shrink but I'll try that first.

This is the white sanitation hose West Marine sells for $5/ft. I needed about 30' so I bought 50' on the internet for the same price as 30' at WM. The hose is vinyl and PVC.
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
I had this problem
I found out that different make couplings have different outside dimensions making a difficult connection.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophyge View Post
I heated the 3/4 hose with a heat gun and spread it out using a large hollow fid. It shrinks back quickly so it's quite a trick to heat, expand and place on fitting before it's back to it's original size. No such luck with the 1.5". I have not tried heating it to make it shrink but I'll try that first.

This is the white sanitation hose West Marine sells for $5/ft. I needed about 30' so I bought 50' on the internet for the same price as 30' at WM. The hose is vinyl and PVC.
Different fittings for sanitation hose. Don't use a pipe 90 as it will be much more likely to plug. Use a slow turn 90 designed for the purpose.

PVC / Fittings
Old 11-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #6
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
When dealing with MSD hose a heat gun and KY Jelly are your best friends... (yes for the sanitation hose not yours..)

The KY is water soluble and doesn't hurt the hose.

I did get funny looks at the local super market when I went back after a hour after purchasing the first tube and got the same checker to ring up a second tube ( I sat on the first with the cap off).

HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:53 PM   #7
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
When dealing with MSD hose a heat gun and KY Jelly are your best friends... (yes for the sanitation hose not yours..)

I did get funny looks at the local super market when I went back after a hour after purchasing the first tube and got the same checker to ring up a second tube ( I sat on the first with the cap off).

HOLLYWOOD

I think they make it in a 5 gallon party pack as well.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:03 PM   #8
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
I think they make it in a 5 gallon party pack as well.
They should sell it in a "caulk " gun tube.....

Pun intended

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
We just replace our entire system first do not use the regular 90s use the sweeps

2 ways that worked well for us microwave the sport or muscle pads wrap them around the end for at least 5 minutes the fittings slipped right in. The other we figured out near the end was to use a cloths steamer the heat and moisture was the trick

one like this we actually got a garage sale for 20 dollars

http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/image/BedBathandBeyond/16448918076675p?$478$
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:53 AM   #10
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Is it Trident 148 that you are using?

That stuff is a bear to clamp due to the hard ribs.

I think you're going to need a new fitting that fits tighter to begin with.
As Delfin pointed out, try to find one that has a large radius turn or you'll get blockages there.

You may want to get a couple of feet of Raritan Sani-Flex hose to make the turn. It is very flexible.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:07 AM   #11
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Concur with DELFIN on the couplings. This is your issue. I just did the same job with the couplings that he has the link for, ordered from there, and it worked fine. If you use the heat gun it will seal up nicely on this coupling. I did use the Saniflex that Parks mentioned also. It is great stuff but making a bend that tight will cause it to kink. I tried it.
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #12
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
A good source for sanitation fittings is Marine Sanitation in Seattle. Google them.

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
Guru

City: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophyge View Post
I am installing new toilets in the heads. Not usually an intellectual experience but I have a problem. The 1.5" shields sanitation hose does not move much from it's original dimensions no matter what you do to it. I needed to make a 90deg turn in less than 5" so I used a 90deg elbow. For the life of me I cannot get that hose to tighten around the elbow. I think if I torque the hose clamp any tighter it will break. Has anyone had this problem and how did you fix it? Can you use plumbers putty? Silicone caulk? 4200? Any ideas?
If the hose fits onto every other fitting with no problem, it's not the hose, it's the fitting that's causing the problem. Either you bought an elbow that's a reducing adapter (different sizes on each end), the wrong size (most likely 1.25" instead of 1.5), or defective. Replacing the elbow will solve your problem.
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #14
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Don't buy fittings at the home supply stores; those are different ODs than the same-sized marine fittings.

Also, I found I was able to use an exhaust pipe expander to temporarily stretch the end that's going on the fitting:

The problem is, the auto parts stores I went to either sell a complete set of many different sizes, or rent you the size you want. Most people only need to use it once, or they're in the auto repair business. I wanted to buy just the one that fits 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" hoses, so I bought it on line.

I was actually able to stretch one hose to the point that it started to split, so go slow. I found leaving it for a while and doing small increments at a time worked well.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #15
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Different fittings for sanitation hose. Don't use a pipe 90 as it will be much more likely to plug. Use a slow turn 90 designed for the purpose.

PVC / Fittings
This is important. Supply pipe can have sharp bends. Drain pipe cannot because it is not under pressure and it's moving solids or semi-solids.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:28 AM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post

HOLLYWOOD

I had to BOLD it, but that is the damn funniest thing I ever heard...
Patemey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:16 AM   #17
FF
Guru

A simple pot of hot (boiling) water usually softens the hose end enough to slip on to the fittings.

Hose varies , so bring one fitting to the hose store to see how big the fight will be.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:04 AM   #18
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Peggy !!!!!!!!!!!

How are you these days. Haven't seen any of your posts in along while.
I trust life is going well for you.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:10 AM   #19
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I'm interested in this thread which I just found. It might be too late for me though. I am replacing my head with an electric toilet and I will be drilling holes through the bulkheads this morning. I will be using 90* elbows which I hope will be ok with the electric head because it macerates before it leaves the toilet. I will be using 1" Saniflex hose. The installation instructions didn't say anything about not using 90's. I figured that in the past, I have had 90's in my macerator to seacock lines with the normal style heads.
If I have a problem in the future. I will let you all know about it in the future.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #20
Guru

City: AR
There's nothing wrong with using an elbow fitting on the tank if there isn't enough room for a bend (aka "radius" or "sweep"). It is best to use a 90 or 45 bend inline, but you'll rarely see 90 tank fitting that isn't an elbow. NEVERheat a hose to make it bend tighter than it will bend willingly...that will stretch the "skin" on the outside of the radius, causing it the hose to tear...weaken the inside of the radius enough to cause the hose to kink. Instead, break the hose an insert a 45 or 90 degree inline radius (available from from SeaLand Dometic or whatever they call themselves these days). Most toilets come with a straight discharge fitting. If a 90 or 45 is needed, call the mfr and get one...DON'T just pull the hose in the direction it needs to go...the stress that will put on one side of the fitting's connection to the toilet will guarantee a leaking toilet.

In toilet plumbing, the same thing applies that applies to everything else: it's always cheaper and easier to do it right the first time than it is to do it over.
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote