Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
frgeorgeh's Avatar
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 368
A sh!ty Situation

I have an Eltra Sans on our 42' Californian. After using the troubleshooting tips from the nice folks over a Raritan in Ft. Lauderdale I concluded I had a bad electrode pack.

Still dealing with back troubles from my surgery I got the number of Ray Blake. He is the local expert on these systems around this area.

Ray came out and confirmed my diagnosis. He also discovered my mixer motor was not working.

Long story short, he had to remove the unit this morning and take it up to Raritan to be fixed.

I like doing my own work so, though it is going to cost more, at least I know I did best I could before waiving the white flag.

Hopefully he can get it back and get it back in tomorrow as the kids and Grandkids all want to go down the ICW Saturday.

Ray said if he couldn't get it back he'd bring buckets for everyone! Super nice guy. Recommended!

God it stinks in here! 😜
__________________
Advertisement

frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
TF Site Team
 
Pack Mule's Avatar
 
City: Paris,TN
Country: USA
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,501
Father it seems like you have picked a bit of a toilet mouth as well since the trawler purchase . Hang in there you'll get out of the head before long and then you'll have new challenges . I just rebuilt my y valve at the exit from holding tank . It was not pretty either .
__________________

__________________
Marty
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
TF Site Team
 
Pau Hana's Avatar


 
City: Seattle, WA
Country: Good Ol' US of A!
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,647
1) Open windows.
2) Get glass.
3) Put ice in glass.
4) Fill glass with rum and a splash of Coke.
5) Sit back, enjoy, the day, and think of those poor bastards slaving over a lawnmower....
__________________
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
frgeorgeh's Avatar
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Father it seems like you have picked a bit of a toilet mouth as well since the trawler purchase . Hang in there you'll get out of the head before long and then you'll have new challenges . I just rebuilt my y valve at the exit from holding tank . It was not pretty either .

Hehe. Potty mouth. I must confess to using some colorful language since I began crawling around the bildge.

Say. I have two Y-valves. Both frozen solid. So these can be fixed instead of having to buy new ones? Please do tell.
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:19 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
frgeorgeh's Avatar
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
1) Open windows.
2) Get glass.
3) Put ice in glass.
4) Fill glass with rum and a splash of Coke.
5) Sit back, enjoy, the day, and think of those poor bastards slaving over a lawnmower....

Amen. But, if it's ok with you I'll have a Gin and tonic. They say of us Episcopalians, "wherever four or more are gathered you'll find a FIFTH!" 😚🍸

It has to be Captains hour somewhere right now!
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:26 PM   #6
TF Site Team
 
Pack Mule's Avatar
 
City: Paris,TN
Country: USA
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,501
I rebuilt mine . It is a jabsco I think . The was around 20$ . A new y valve 60$ . The kit is just the seals . Mine was easy , just stinky .
__________________
Marty
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
TF Site Team
 
Pack Mule's Avatar
 
City: Paris,TN
Country: USA
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,501
The difference between a Catholic and Baptist is the Catholic will always recognize each other in the liquor store.
__________________
Marty
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
frgeorgeh's Avatar
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
The difference between a Catholic and Baptist is the Catholic will always recognize each other in the liquor store.

How true
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
frgeorgeh's Avatar
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
I rebuilt mine . It is a jabsco I think . The was around 20$ . A new y valve 60$ . The kit is just the seals . Mine was easy , just stinky .

Good to know! Thank you
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #10
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
Greetings,
Mr. frg. I'm with you in spirit. Two days ago I was doing a holding tank pump out and our aft head stopped pumping after the third rinse. Hoo boy! (or is it Poo boy?). A quick reference to Google and I was up to my elbows in....nope, not THAT...remember I said after the third rinse...disassembly of our vintage Raritan Crown. Quite scaled up and a very dead impeller and an even more dead joker valve. Suffice is to say, WM had the parts in stock and after a few hours I was a happy pooper again. I took the liberty of soaking the bronze? parts in On/Off (hydrochloric and phosphoric acid I think) and after much foaming was looking at a foundry fresh housing. NOT really a big job but I suspect if my back was out it would be bucket time for sure. Enjoy your cruise.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:19 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
frgeorgeh's Avatar
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. frg. I'm with you in spirit. Two days ago I was doing a holding tank pump out and our aft head stopped pumping after the third rinse. Hoo boy! (or is it Poo boy?). A quick reference to Google and I was up to my elbows in....nope, not THAT...remember I said after the third rinse...disassembly of our vintage Raritan Crown. Quite scaled up and a very dead impeller and an even more dead joker valve. Suffice is to say, WM had the parts in stock and after a few hours I was a happy pooper again. I took the liberty of soaking the bronze? parts in On/Off (hydrochloric and phosphoric acid I think) and after much foaming was looking at a foundry fresh housing. NOT really a big job but i suspect if my back was out it would be bucket time for sure. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks my friend. Guess it's just been a crappy week for several of us! LOL
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:16 PM   #12
Guru
 
HeadMistress's Avatar


 
City: AR
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
The difference between a Catholic and Baptist is the Catholic will always recognize each other in the liquor store.
But Baptists will never recognize each at Hooters!
__________________
2017 Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since '87.
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors"
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:20 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
frgeorgeh's Avatar
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
But Baptists will never recognize each at Hooters!

Ha! Hooters! Ah, sorry. What's that? 😘
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #14
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
Hooters, you know...Here's a pair...

























































































































__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:21 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
frgeorgeh's Avatar
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 368
Oh yea! Gotcha! 😉
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #16
THD
Guru
 
City: Seattle
Country: US
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,142
Mr RTF-Boy was I disappointed to get to the end of your post!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #17
Guru
 
HopCar's Avatar


 
City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,505
How could a thread that started out with the word sh!ty in the title go down hill from there? Keep up the good work guys!

RTF, Duck Soup is playing at the Coral Gables Cinama in a couple of weeks. They're having a Marx Bros. retrospective.
__________________
Parks Masterson
www.hopkins-carter.com
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:06 AM   #18
Guru
 
Xsbank's Avatar
 
City: Pender Harbour, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,447
None of that is "potty mouth" - them's "boat words," used by real men and some Admirals as they confront the vagaries of mechanical stuff shoved into a space exactly half of the size it needs to be contained in to actually conduct repairs and maintenance and through it all runs a river of sh*t in tiny pipes that fail regularly. Boat words are part of everyone's boating education and should be spoken with the reverence they deserve. They have a long and storied history for as long as people have been going to sea.

The most powerful boat word is the "f" word, used in times of severe unpleasantness: "What the f was that?" Captain of the Titanic. "What the f is that thing in the water?" Captain of the Lusitania. This word has occasionally even been said by landlubbers: "Holy f is that bright!" Mayor of Hiroshima.

I would quote some more but I have to go to bed.
__________________
Don't believe everything that you think.
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:11 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
frgeorgeh's Avatar
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
None of that is "potty mouth" - them's "boat words," used by real men and some Admirals as they confront the vagaries of mechanical stuff shoved into a space exactly half of the size it needs to be contained in to actually conduct repairs and maintenance and through it all runs a river of sh*t in tiny pipes that fail regularly. Boat words are part of everyone's boating education and should be spoken with the reverence they deserve. They have a long and storied history for as long as people have been going to sea.

The most powerful boat word is the "f" word, used in times of severe unpleasantness: "What the f was that?" Captain of the Titanic. "What the f is that thing in the water?" Captain of the Lusitania. This word has occasionally even been said by landlubbers: "Holy f is that bright!" Mayor of Hiroshima.

I would quote some more but I have to go to bed.

The F word is so versatile. Can be use as verb adverb noun. The list goes on and on.

This guru has a funny way of explaining it on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/Fr2BeGmmjiY
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
frgeorgeh's Avatar
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 368
Please call today mr repair man and bring my Lectra Sans back. I want to go out tomorrow but I know the ladies - by which I am outnumbered will mutiny if I give them a homer bucket!

WWWWWAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

there, I feel better now
__________________

frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012