Old 11-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #21
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
We have two hoses. Both are standard hose types. One is "dedicated" to filling our water tank. Prior to use, we let it run for a minute or so to flush anything left in it from the last use. We also have a filter system in place between the tank and pump/accumulator tanks.

I made a video on the ClampTite w/Bob Bitchin YEARS ago. It was with Sonora Early who was the daughter of the man who invented it. It's a great little tool. Like anything else, as Delfin said, it does have limitations based on where you want to use it.

http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
itís OK to drink from a hose only if itís labeled safe or if you flush it first.
What it really sounds like is TMI....from those just like people who think you will die from eating that peanut you dropped on the floor.....obviously they have never eaten from a decent survival course menu....
my mama told me not to drink from the garden hose!!! but she never said anything about the peanut dropped on the floor. THREE SECOND RULE!

Both the items Delfin posted look intriguing, THANKS for the info! Always interesting to hear actual experinces with these things that look so intriguing...

www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #23
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
I love my hose. Always reminded me of a McDonalds straw paper after you take the straw out.

Anyway. I still have about 30 seconds of full force water after I turn it off.

sd
Old 11-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #24
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
We have two hoses. Both are standard hose types. One is "dedicated" to filling our water tank. Prior to use, we let it run for a minute or so to flush anything left in it from the last use. We also have a filter system in place between the tank and pump/accumulator tanks.

I made a video on the ClampTite w/Bob Bitchin YEARS ago. It was with Sonora Early who was the daughter of the man who invented it. It's a great little tool. Like anything else, as Delfin said, it does have limitations based on where you want to use it.
Having used it for a couple of months, the ClampTite takes longer to use than applying a hose clamp, and in some locations may be impossible to use because you have to have clear space of about 6 inches by 180 degrees to make the final tensioning work. That said, it has more uses than a hose clamp. For example, on the tow line for the Boston Whaler I have a bowline and whipped the working end with a wire clamp, rendering the bowline basically bulletproof. Which it probably was already, but it looks nice too. Wire clamps are way, way better to attach a new fitting to the end of a garden hose than any other alternative. This system allows for you to make up any sized clamp that is probably stronger than a hose clamp.

Main deficiency is extra time to make up the clamp, but then again while underway I am usually looking for something to do anyway, so I don't really care.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #25

City: patterson
Vessel Model: CHB 45 Pilot House
DRINKING WATER HOSE

We lived on board 5 yrs and as I have said before, had the boat for 25 and used it a lot. After the first few yrs of fighting the hose battle that the hoses won, I purchased a SEARS BEST garden hose, it was in CONSTANT use for about 20 yrs and still in use on the day the boat was sold. It was attached to the water inlet on the boat side and laid on the deck in all weather for all of those years, including, of course all the cruising.
NO BAD TASTE IMPARTED TO THE WATER, in fact no taste at all.
Of course, as always, this is only my experience. Worked for me.
charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #26
FF
Guru

NO BAD TASTE IMPARTED TO THE WATER, in fact no taste at all.
Of course, as always, this is only my experience. Worked for me.

IF the hose was not rated for potable water , laying all day on the dock in the sun to loosen any plasticizers , the results of this "saving" are too early to decide weather "Worked for me." is valid.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
"Worked for me" is an other way of saying "I'm not dead yet."

Seriously, a hose not rated for potable water can leach chemicals into the water which may cause illness (cancer, for example) many years later.

Many folks worked with asbestos years ago and it didn't hurt them (then). They are paying the price now.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote