Securing dinghy to swim step

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
How many of you use Weaver Snap Davits when securing your tender to the swim step?

Attachments

• IMG_2689.jpg
    IMG_2689.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 425
How many of you use Weaver Snap Davits when securing your tender to the swim step?

Dont know if the brand is critical to your discussion, but I have the Seawise system which uses similar clips.

I do. See Avatar. Is there more to this question?

David

Not sure what actual question is, but I have these on my swim step and recently got a new dink and had to make a 3 day trip without them installed on it... I just used rope... The only value I perceive from these (and they are.. quite expensive given what you get), is "docking" your dingy in rough conditions to the swim platform. Also after running hard for a few days, ergo diesel smoke stains, I came to conclusion davits are probably a really good investment.

I do not. I considered such a system but that would make getting on and off the boat by way of the swim platform impossible.

I don't have a better plan so mostly the dinghy is stored on the foredeck either inflated and ready to go or deflated and rolled up. Sometimes I tow it.

For longer runs we store the dingy upside down on the bow (Zodiac Aero 260), but we also have a towing bridle, and then last weekend I rigged up my own system to moor it from the swim step but hold it off about a foot to two so it wouldn't chafe. Two mooring lines about 4' each, each one run through the center of a fat swimming noodle from Walmart, with stainless snap clips on each end for quick connect and disconnect from the port and starboard cleats on the swim platform. Nice and easy and cost peanuts.

Last edited:
Of the many boats I have owned, this is the first one I've used the Weaver system on. Although I don't like having my stern covered up, the system has many advantages. 1) It stabilizes the dinghy for entry/exit, 2) It is very easy to launch, 3) it is secure storage while underway.

I use a pulley attached to an awning frame to pull it up manually, which is easy to do, and a couple of "strongbacks" which I made from SS tubing to secure it to the aft handrail while underway.

Our dinghy is also our life raft, and we have timed getting it in the water at under twenty seconds, with us starting in the pilothouse.

Attachments

• Dinghy1.jpg
    Dinghy1.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Dinghy2.jpg
    Dinghy2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Dinghy3.jpg
    Dinghy3.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 103
We have used the Weaver davits to hold our Zodiac to the swim platform. We found it to be a very safe and secure way to carry the dingy. As said above, it also provides a stable situation when boarding the dingy. Climb aboard and then unclip the davits and away you go. Love it!

We have SeaWise davits (similar in concept to Weaver) on our swim platform that we use for both our RIB and our hard shell dinghy. They work great. Very convenient.

Our practice was to fasten the dink in a straight up vertical position when underway. Then as we pulled into the marina we would lower it back a ways which made it easier for the Admiral to stand on the swim step and step ashore.
I also liked that it provides a measure of safety for the Admiral when she was on the swim step. If she fell backwards she would land in the dink rather than in the salt!

We do not. Our davit system (Jatco Trillogy) allows us to carry dinghy and motor upright, easy lift, etc... and the cantilever mount style alalows us to alk between transom and dinghy...

But that also means the davit struts live in between the transom and hang over the outer lip of the swim platform... so our normal access to the dingy is from one corner of the swim platform or the other.

-Chris

Used a Weaver system for my hard dink for 3 yrars...worked OK by didnt have the gizmo that allowed me to keep the motor on.

Shifted to a RHIB so designed my own davit system and sold the Weaver.

Does anybody uses the "sling net" system?
Home of the Dinghy Sling Davit System

I like the idea of no hardware and a somewhat elastic system.

Yup, but mine is not elastic. It's a heavy duty cargo net for $50 on ebay. It's an effective and affordable dink system, but not for a boat of Sandpiper's pedigree.

She needs a spotless SS transom system that allows worry-free push-button operation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom