Old 07-30-2019, 05:30 PM   #1
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Sealand toilet seats?

I've got what I think are Sealand 508+ toilets and would like to replace the seats. They're 'bone' color.

Are there any soft-close variants available? It'd be nice to have that feature, if only to prevent guests from clanging the lid shut.

Any recommended suppliers?

Old 07-31-2019, 06:13 AM   #2
FF
Guru

Take your seat off , go to Home Cheapo and compare.

If no joy there ,go to a RV store , they have smaller bowls and mifgt have a good fit.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:10 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hinge cracked on my Jabsco toilet, so I bought this seat.
It is very nice looking and the hinge is very stiff, so it does not clunk down.
It was an exact fit, same width, height, hinge spacing.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:16 AM   #4
Guru

Seats from box stores aren't going to have the gasket that's under the seat. Whether it helps in our EB47 is debatable, as the ride has always been quite stable. On past boats, yep, it's mattered. Don't always remember to shut off the fresh water and flush the bowl to leave it dry before getting underway.

I guess what I'm asking is does anyone know of alternatives that'll match up to the 508+ series? Otherwise it's north of $120 to get genuine Dometic/Sealand seat with the soft close feature, or ~$60 to get one without. I'll spend if I have to, but figured it'd be worth asking for alternatives.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
Guru

City: AR
Why is a gasket on a toilet seat important? Gaskets are usually only needed to create a seal. No other marine toilet seats have gaskets. Flushing a VF leaves < 1" of water (less than 1/2 cup) in the bowl...so why would you need to turn off the water? If that's enough to be of concern, just close the lid.

Box stores have soft close lids...I just bought 3 "elongated" Kohlers for my house for $30 each at Lowes. They had round bowls for even less. Seems to me it would be worth trying one for that price before spending $120 to get a gasket you don't really need.

That's my $.02 worth anyway...your mileage may vary.

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:47 AM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
I replace VacuFlush toilet seats with Home Depot purchased seats.

If I recall, that rubber seal around the VF seat, was an attempt to reduce the whoosh noise when the pedal is depressed. It was not very effective. Sealand sells both versions of the seats.

I don't think the new VF toilets come equipped with those seats anymore. I could be mistaken.
syjos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:42 PM   #7
Guru

I may just pick up some round Kohler seats. I've got them on home toilets and the rubber feet they have under the front does a good job of keeping the seat from wiggling. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't include the gasket anymore. The sound isn't problematic enough at the flush. More of the noise is the whup-whup-whup of the vacuum units anyway.

The boat's not near me, of course, so it's either schlep all the way to it, pull the seat and go comparing, or gamble that a purchase will work.

Anyone compared Kohler's biscuit or almond compared to SeaLand 'bone' color?
Old 07-31-2019, 04:06 PM   #8
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
The round front standard seats don't quite fit despite OEM being a Bemis. The geometry of bowl vs bolt patterns is different enough that it's obviously not the correct seat. Hinge geometry is also different enough to add to that dilemma. Being in the trade, I tried to locate a Bemis seat with a mfr rep moons ago, and had no luck. I finally relented and just forked over the confiscatory price. I'm about to replace another one that the hinge gave up on. Previous posts on the gasket feature are correct, it's an unnecessary gimmick.

Bone & bisque seem to be the same shade. If you do find a match, post specifics including pics, it would be of interest to listees owning VF gear.

WRT shutting the water off getting under way... should NOT be necessary. If the water valve is sluggish, it may be over filling the bowl, perhaps time for a new water valve before it decides to get really sluggish and keeps filling. You should be able to quick flush the bowl and leave it with just a covering of water over the ball. Don't see how that would ever slop out.
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
Guru

City: AR
Fwiw, Bemis also supplies the bowls and seats for Raritan toilets...the round one is on their "standard" bowl. However, since the "household" size marine toilets can use a big box elongated seat, bolt and hinge hardware for either size may present the same issue you've already experienced.

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:56 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
WRT shutting the water off getting under way... should NOT be necessary. If the water valve is sluggish, it may be over filling the bowl, perhaps time for a new water valve before it decides to get really sluggish and keeps filling. You should be able to quick flush the bowl and leave it with just a covering of water over the ball. Don't see how that would ever slop out.
True, the point is to leave nothing in the bowl, regardless of whomever I have tasked to flush it. The old boat was more of an issue than the EB47. You may be correct regarding the valve. "One more thing on the to do list".
Old 07-31-2019, 08:05 PM   #11
Guru

On the Home Depot toilet seats, I relocate the hinges by drilling new holes and filling the old holes with Marine Tex.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:05 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
The round front standard seats don't quite fit despite OEM being a Bemis. The geometry of bowl vs bolt patterns is different enough that it's obviously not the correct seat. Hinge geometry is also different enough to add to that dilemma. Being in the trade, I tried to locate a Bemis seat with a mfr rep moons ago, and had no luck. I finally relented and just forked over the confiscatory price. I'm about to replace another one that the hinge gave up on. Previous posts on the gasket feature are correct, it's an unnecessary gimmick.

Bone & bisque seem to be the same shade. If you do find a match, post specifics including pics, it would be of interest to listees owning VF gear.
Yep, this is why I asked here on TF. Nice info.

I figured as much, and 'confiscatory' is spot-on. Yeesh, I get limited production runs, economies of scale and all that, but one-off sizing for a damned toilet bowl? Really? That's just annoying.

I was sincerely hoping this would be an easy swap. So much for that optimism.

But let me get back to specifics. I've got a 508+ toilet. I take it the SeaLand 500 series are all using the same sized bowl and hinge bolt placements? Was this the series that didn't fit the Bemis seat you tried?
Old 07-31-2019, 08:11 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Yep, this is why I asked here on TF. Nice info.

I figured as much, and 'confiscatory' is spot-on. Yeesh, I get limited production runs, economies of scale and all that, but one-off sizing for a damned toilet bowl? Really? That's just annoying.

I was sincerely hoping this would be an easy swap. So much for that optimism.

But let me get back to specifics. I've got a 508+ toilet. I take it the SeaLand 500 series are all using the same sized bowl and hinge bolt placements? Was this the series that didn't fit the Bemis seat you tried?
Relocate the seat hinges on the generic Bemis. Post 11.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:04 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
Relocate the seat hinges on the generic Bemis. Post 11.
Right, my time for a hack or an over-priced direct fit. Were it just the toilet off the workshop at home, sure, I'd go with whatever. But with guests and all, I'm not all that keen to bodge something together.