Old 01-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #101
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. BO. Flange does not appear to be bolted through the hull and a bit stingy on the bedding material IMO. Personally, I prefer the tapered seacocks rather than the ball type. Oh, and connect up that bonding wire. Job appears overall to be half done.
Looks like it's not bolted to anything and is held in place by the through hull threads and bedding adhesive.

Compass Marine also has an excellent how-to on a way to install with a backing plate that doesn't require bolts through the hull.

Seacock Backing Plates / Alternate Method / No Through Bolts Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:44 PM   #102
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budds Outlet View Post
Any comments on this seacock replacement job on a boat I am considering?
Other than the bonding wire which is easy to attach, I wouldn't worry about it. It looks like a "Buck Algonquin" seacock which are bronze. If they used 5200 or 4200 it's not moving. Granted, as previously posted it could be better but it shouldn't be a deal killer. It does look like it was just installed though. The bonding wire looks like it has a little "green" on it and the seacock looks to clean to be in service for very long. Just my 2 cents.

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:49 AM   #103
FF
Guru

While it may be called a seacock , what is pictured is nothing more than a ball valve.

The valve choice and the insane concept of gluing it in place when it does have the ability too be bolted in would make me want a very careful survey.

Is this the OEM installation or some past yards work?

If this level of workmanship is through out the boat , I would consider finding a better assembled vessel.

ONE lack of understanding is OK, a boatload might be too much hassle..

Many things can be redone , with time and money to get a safe boat , but if its an OEM install , there may be many more issues even a great surveyor can not find in time.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:37 PM   #104

City: South Puget Sound, WA
FF, this is some fairly recent yard work. I believe it was done about a year ago. A further question I have is, with the bonding wire not connected has the thru-hull corroded to the point of weakness that it is likely to fail?
Budds Outlet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #105
FF
Guru

> A further question I have is, with the bonding wire not connected has the thru-hull corroded to the point of weakness that it is likely to fail?<

Doubtful even in a marina with current in the water,.

Many folks do not believe in grounding everything to become a big anode ,

I have seen many boats with ZERO bonding , still not with pink bronze after 3 or 4 decades.

>this is some fairly recent yard work<

Would be nice for the folks to know what yard , to put on there NEVER! EVER list.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #106
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budds Outlet View Post
FF, this is some fairly recent yard work. I believe it was done about a year ago. A further question I have is, with the bonding wire not connected has the thru-hull corroded to the point of weakness that it is likely to fail?
I doubt it very much. In fact many european sailboats do not ground their thru hulls at all by design. We owned one for almost 8 years and it was never an issue.

No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote