Seacocks and BREAKER BARS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks to all for your comments! I’m hauling out in a month or so to replace my genset. At that time, by-by seized seacocks too.

"At that time, by-by seized seacocks too."

The old tapered style is probably far easier to live with , and will last longer than any of the new repurposed plumbing valves or cast plastic.

I agree with those who posted that if you need an extension to turn your sea cocks it's time to service or replace them. You may get them to move with a cheater or a piece of pipe or you may break them. This could be a serious problem if the boat is in the water.

If you decide to use pipe for a handle extension, there's no need to spend big money on stainless steel pipe. Any home center or hardware store will have black or galvanized pipe in pre cut lengths.

The handles suppied on sea cocks are often just stamped out of sheet 1/8" SS. The result is there is little surface area in contact with the flats on the valve shaft. Excessive leverage will cause the hard SS to round off the softer bronze shaft. Adding a second handle before you add a cheater bar will reduce the chances of rounding off the shaft flats.

If the handle is the stamped metal type, it’s not a real sea clock, but a regular ball valve, not worthy of the name!

If the handle is the stamped metal type, it’s not a real sea clock, but a regular ball valve, not worthy of the name!

I'm going to disagree with that. Both the Groco FBV and the Apollo seacocks come with stamped stainless handles. Both are excellent flanged seacocks. The Apollo seacocks on Possum were 28 years old and working fine.

The AT came with "plastic" hull valves.... I was assured they would be fine. Yea right.
I had them replaced them with bronze hull valves, bonding them all back to the zincs. Of course, while out of the water, I changed over from 1/2 to 3/4 inch hull valves for the A/C and gen at the suggestion and recommendation of the builder.

Speaking of which, the A/C system kept failing due to S/W flow or lack there of. I blew out the system backward through the hull valve, more than a few times.... The A/C would work for a bit and fail again on HP. Stumped, I called out the tech. He went over it and began to look stumped too. Suddenly a light went off and I suggested he remove the hose between the hull valve and the strainer. He did it and low and behold, he found a chewed up plastic bag in the hose. Seems the Little Giant s/w pump managed to suck a plastic bag through the hull grating. It would stop the water inflow and when the system shut down, it would temporarily loosen its grip on the water flow. We both looked with disbelief..... not a word was said. He removed the bag, put the hose back on, I paid him and he left. It was a learning moment to both of us.
The way I survived the FL summer heat, until the tech arrive was, I have a spare strainer cover into which I had a hole drilled and a stub bronze screwed in, on to this a secondary ball valve and a hose fitting. (I use this when I back flush the system when cleaning the sea strainer) I happily ran a hose from the anchor s/w wash down into the pilot house, down into the engine room and attached it to the top of the valve cover gadget. Worked fine, no complaints.

So folks, to make a long story short, it is possible to suck a plastic bag through the hull grate and have it lodge in the hose before the strainer. That piece of hose is about a foot long. If the light had gone off 2 hrs earlier I could have save the money for a tech call. I would charge you folks for the lesson. SMILE

I learned on tapered bronze seacocks, but I learned a lot more with that CMS link. thanks! 20 rotations with lapping compound, and 360 deg rotations. In addition to the engines raw water seacocks, there was this one for the head. Tapered bronze, but had a o ring on the taper. weird.

I'm going to disagree with that. Both the Groco FBV and the Apollo seacocks come with stamped stainless handles. Both are excellent flanged seacocks. The Apollo seacocks on Possum were 28 years old and working fine.

HopCar, you would be the expert there, and I defer to your knowledge, but you won’t find one on my Boat.
They’re all Solid bronze and hefty, worthy of the name!

Back
Top Bottom