Old 08-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #41

City: Matagorda Bay
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: 2005 Defever 44
My 2cents.......Unless a boat has original 30 year old hoses and clamps, I'd be just as concerned about the condition of the thruhull fittings as you crank on those 8" long handles on a large seacock... I've always done my own haulouts/bottom jobs, and marvel at how many folks never buff down their thruhull fittings to check for degredation before slapping on another coat of bottom paint...

Last haulout on my Beneteau 411 I replaced all 10 thruhulls and valves (didn't have flanged seacocks) on an 8 year old boat, due to poor metallurgy in the original fittings....had some wierd bronze/zinc alloy if I remember correctly. Others with like boats had failures when closing seacocks, and I didn't want to take the chance.. Good thing...I had one of the 1 1/2" fittings crack as soon as I put a wrench on it to loosen it in the boatyard! Other than that....best rag boat I ever owned!

greysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #42
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Good point greysailor. Even the above water thruhull fittings can be critical.

I had all my below water fittings replaced when I first bought the boat. I didn't worry too much about the above water ones. I noticed one of the outer flanges was cracked after my boat was trucked to Adelaide, and added that to my work list, but other things were higher priority.

While I was away at work for a month the flange worked itself off, allowing the main billge pump hose outlet to drop back into the boat. The shaft packing had a high drip rate at the time as well, as I hadn't yet worked out how to contort my body to reach it.

Luckily my wife spotted the problem during one of her bilge checks, or it could have been a disaster.

AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #43
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Good point greysailor. Even the above water thruhull fittings can be critical.

I had all my below water fittings replaced when I first bought the boat. I didn't worry too much about the above water ones. I noticed one of the outer flanges was cracked after my boat was trucked to Adelaide, and added that to my work list, but other things were higher priority.

While I was away at work for a month the flange worked itself off, allowing the main billge pump hose outlet to drop back into the boat. The shaft packing had a high drip rate at the time as well, as I hadn't yet worked out how to contort my body to reach it.

Luckily my wife spotted the problem during one of her bilge checks, or it could have been a disaster.
Pics of the wife will be appreciated.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
That might have to be a separate thread.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #45
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
That might have to be a separate thread.
Continue on...
Old 08-07-2013, 02:57 AM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
ok - New thread in the off-topic forum
Old 08-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #47
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greysailor View Post
My 2cents.......Unless a boat has original 30 year old hoses and clamps, I'd be just as concerned about the condition of the thruhull fittings as you crank on those 8" long handles on a large seacock... I've always done my own haulouts/bottom jobs, and marvel at how many folks never buff down their thruhull fittings to check for degredation before slapping on another coat of bottom paint...

Last haulout on my Beneteau 411 I replaced all 10 thruhulls and valves (didn't have flanged seacocks) on an 8 year old boat, due to poor metallurgy in the original fittings....had some wierd bronze/zinc alloy if I remember correctly. Others with like boats had failures when closing seacocks, and I didn't want to take the chance.. Good thing...I had one of the 1 1/2" fittings crack as soon as I put a wrench on it to loosen it in the boatyard! Other than that....best rag boat I ever owned!

The whole reasoning behind closing seacocks is to make sure that they will work when and if you need them. If you believe they are the weak link in the system, why do you replace them? Your reasoning would indicatedoing away with them. Just have a pipe nipple that the hose attaches to.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #48

City: Matagorda Bay
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: 2005 Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
The whole reasoning behind closing seacocks is to make sure that they will work when and if you need them. If you believe they are the weak link in the system, why do you replace them? Your reasoning would indicatedoing away with them. Just have a pipe nipple that the hose attaches to.

Nope...you missed the point. Just pointing out that degraded thruhull fittings are the weakest link due to the threaded portion is so thin when new...just adding a little food for thought for someone's next haulout inspection. Seacocks do need to be cycled regularly.

greysailor is offline   Reply With Quote