Seacock Model?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
Getting ready to pull the boat for bottom job and general checkout. Going to either rebuild my seacock/strainers or replace them depending on what I find when I open them up. Getting rebuild kits in advance for my old Groco SVS1000 and 750. Have one I can't identify and hoping for some help on it. It is the one for my A/C system, sitting behind the SVS750 in the pics. Anyone know what this is? I don't see any labeling on it but haven't given it a good cleaning yet. Hoping to get a rebuild for it as well. Also hoping that the plugs in each are still usable as they don't make them any more. If they aren't then....break out the boat bucks.

Something I just noticed in the pic which I didn't notice before are the circular leftovers on the glass in the SVS750. Left over barnacles?!?! I cleaned the strainers when I bought the boat a few months ago but didn't notice these. How long would it take for barnacles to grow in a strainer?

Attachments

• IMG_2283.jpg
    IMG_2283.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2282.jpg
    IMG_2282.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2284.jpg
    IMG_2284.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 89
I'm guessing the strainer with barnacles is for an air conditioner or refrigeration unit? If so, barnacles can grow in a few days in some places, especially if you have water current in your slip location. A piece of raw copper in the strainer will help mitigate that.

As for the mystery strainer, if you don't get an answer here, go to somewhere like BOW with your pic and one of the folks at the special order counter will probably know.

Get a couple of AWAB hose clamps for each intake and out flow hose on those things too.

Yes, barnacled one was for the freezer, now removed but soon to come back. Was removed by PO prior to cruising. Am replacing all hose clamps and doubling down when I do the work. Thanks for reminding me to order!

That other strainer is a Groco as well, is that the mystery unit? . I wass in a marine consignment store today and they had a few of them, albeit in about the same shape as that one.

Yes, the other is a Groco SVS 750. I have a couple of this and a couple of SVS1000’s. I sent Groco the pics and they said it appears to be an SA Series but I have to measure the inlet outlet to say exactly which one. Probably 3/4”, an SA750, as the others are 750’s. Engines are the 1”. Going to open them up and see if they can be used a few more years. They aren’t leaking at all so am hopeful.

... Going to open them up and see if they can be used a few more years. They aren’t leaking at all so am hopeful.

They should be good. Ours, a different model, looked worse than those when we redid the engine room and they came out fine. I disassembled, lightly sand blasted, reassembled and they looked as good as new. I even sprayed lacquerd them. I did have to replace a few parts (nuts and rod) but those were off the shelf. I cut all new gaskets (using scissors) from some sheet cork gasket material that I had. Have you priced new ones? :eek:

THose strainers, unless physically damaged, should be good for many more years yet

They start looking questionable because of the green verdegris which is perfectly normal in a copper based part that is allowed to get. wet. Even so that can go on for decades.

Stop the drips and weeps by resealing them and most of the heavy verdegris will stop forming.

Unless something else is going on those Grocos will still be around when we are not.

Just get a new wing nut for the one with the broken wing.
Grease , waterproof grease, the threads on the tie bolts and wing nut and you won't need to use a hammer to undo and break the wing nut. Don't need gobs of grease.

Yes the strainer is a Groco SA series strainer.

Thanks for confirming. Going to boat today to measure the in/outs to see what size exactly. Believe it is 3/4" but not sure. The prices for the rebuild kits are about $25. Just some gaskets and nylon washer I believe. Gets more expensive if I need individual bronze parts and glass. Don't remember exactly but I think the strainer glass was $125 or so.

UNless the sight glass has a split/crack you would not need those.
Get the seals and the nylon washer, clean them up, grease the threaded parts and they should be good to go. Do not use aggressive cleaners on the sight glass; only dish soap and some car polish if needed. Some chemicals may attack it and then you will need a new one.

Years ago,25 - 30 yrs, my Perko strainer split the sight glass right down the molding line. I got a piece of acrylic tubing and made one, actually several since I bought enough for three. Never needed the other two but they are aboard as spares.
I eventually modified the sight glass and the cap so O rings could be used and that was the end of the leaking.

Took some measurements and it's an SA 1000 so have ordered the gaskets kits for it and my SVS 1000's and SV740. Hopefully the rubber plug in them is in reasonable shape and can be greased up and reused. They are 30 years old as far as I can tell.

I can read elsewhere on the proper way to service these, good grease, light sandpaper on the plug, etc. One question is that I see what appears to be teflon tape, plumbers tape I assume, so should I count on using it again? Also assuming that it is a good thing to take these TOTALLY apart including elbows correct?

I have a couple of others I need to identify but will post separately.

In this case nothing wrong with TFE tape but use the good stuff, gas seal tape usually in a yellow spool and rated as gas seal.

Just start winding the tape on about two threads from the end. Good practice to get into so no bits get cut off .

Those bits, if this procedure is not practiced, in other application can cause trouble.

Otherwise use a good sealer such as Rectorseal #5.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the help. Have some other issue in this area but posted in another thread. 30 year old boats don't stop coming at you do they?!?!

30 year old boats don't stop coming at you do they?!?!

PM is always required,

New or old.

Just beware of the BESTITIS disease , it can keep a boat unusable for "ever".

Not only do they come at you but sometimes catch up and sit on top of you like a 35,000 paper weight. Scary thing is that it only took 8 months of ownership for me to learn this!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom