Old 05-13-2016, 06:42 AM   #21
FF
Guru

"So drill a hole in the countertop and mount it. Thing is this is brass, how long before salt water would destroy the spigot?"

A few decades.

As sea water system needs the same consideration as a FW pressure water setup.

An accumulator of some sort will lessen pump cycling , and the of/on pressures can be set with a Square D house pump well switch , about $20 at home shops.

Folks of the KISS religion simply use an off on switch and forget the rest.

Might be great to use a push button at knee height to allow washing both hands together.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #22
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"So drill a hole in the countertop and mount it. Thing is this is brass, how long before salt water would destroy the spigot?"

A few decades.

As sea water system needs the same consideration as a FW pressure water setup.

An accumulator of some sort will lessen pump cycling , and the of/on pressures can be set with a Square D house pump well switch , about $20 at home shops.

Folks of the KISS religion simply use an off on switch and forget the rest.

Might be great to use a push button at knee height to allow washing both hands together.
It is sort of elegant to have the motor pump on demand by turning the faucet handle. Or I could rig another switch.

Does a Jabsco utility bronze impeller pump, or any pump suffer if it ran wet yet the output is blocked? The impeller vanes can only pump so much pressure, then they will flex out of the way inside their bronze housing.
When I replaced the OEM totally destroyed rusted Jabsco impeller, I went with Globe impeller which can run dry for 15 minutes.

I had to melt the OEM SS impeller core from off the motor shaft with acetylene torch. The motor shaft is mild steel, it rusted jamming the SS impeller center.
To even get the bronze housing out of the way, I had to use a core drill and cut down between rubber and SS. I was really disgusted with Jabsco, not using a SS motor shaft. And that pump lists for $600!

album link
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...hTTVBtSGREcXBn

sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #23
Guru

I think now, rather than a single faucet, use a sprayer connected to the saltwater line. They can be all plastic, and more appropriate to the task if your rinsing off a dish. It would also be nice if some kind of 3 way valve existed to allow use of either fresh or salt water through the sprayer. So in port, have it set to fresh, and at sea to salt water, for those who don't have unlimited fresh water from a water maker, like me. Thing is though, people won't remember to switch the valve. A three way valve might not be worth the effort.

Looks like this, but get one with a base.

Kohler K-GP1021724-CP Polished Chrome Sidespray Hose for Kitchen Faucets - FaucetDirect.com!

Old 05-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I think now, rather than a single faucet, use a sprayer connected to the saltwater line. They can be all plastic, and more appropriate to the task if your rinsing off a dish. It would also be nice if some kind of 3 way valve existed to allow use of either fresh or salt water through the sprayer. So in port, have it set to fresh, and at sea to salt water, for those who don't have unlimited fresh water from a water maker, like me. Thing is though, people won't remember to switch the valve. A three way valve might not be worth the effort.

Looks like this, but get one with a base.

Kohler K-GP1021724-CP Polished Chrome Sidespray Hose for Kitchen Faucets - FaucetDirect.com!
Having had salt water tap in the galley, a potential issue with the sprayer is you may clog the spray holes in the head. When you're not using the salt water side of it, the salt water in the system from the thru hull to your valve is stagnate and any sea life/creatures or pieces of grass die. When you go to use the sprayer all the this goes toward the spray nozzle, in addition to the very smelly water.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Having had salt water tap in the galley, a potential issue with the sprayer is you may clog the spray holes in the head. When you're not using the salt water side of it, the salt water in the system from the thru hull to your valve is stagnate and any sea life/creatures or pieces of grass die. When you go to use the sprayer all the this goes toward the spray nozzle, in addition to the very smelly water.
Exactly what I experienced on the head, smelly water of death due to dead critters rotting. What helped was a fine mesh strainer, has a SS mesh, clear screw on bowl and a black plastic body 1/2 inch thread. I screwed onto the thru hull after the 90* elbow. It was an ebay item.
For such a low priced item, it has been great. It must be filtering out some sea life to work.

I should look into a bigger 3/4 one for the utility pump.