A Sail for my trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A "For Sale" sign might be more effective. LOL
Probably comical, but a LOT of old pics of trawlers we're with a sales gimmick sail where a steadying sail should be. :)

I always thought the sail on s trawler was to keep it from sailing at anchor. Like a planes tail.

I have a similar trawler with a riding sail, meant to do as quoted above. Mine is a flat cut triangle about 7 ft on the two leg sides of the triangle. It works well and takes about three minutes to put up.

Trawler sail.

Hi there - I just made an offer on a 34' CHB, my first trawler! While aboard I couldn't help noticing it has a mast and boom, but I can't find much info on using a sail on this boat out there. So I decided I should ask all of you here who know a great deal more about trawlers...so thanks in advance!!!

Some of the comments were rather funny. The mast and boom and the accompanying sail are used as a steadying sail at anchor or in heavy cross seas.
There are now “Flopper Stopper” systems that can be utilized while at anchor to reduce roll.
As a convenience you can also use the mast and boom to raise or lower a dinghy.

I had the same question when we got our downeaster so I discussed it with a rigger friend of mine. The Masts and Boom extrusions all appear to be ready for sail slides but don't let that mislead you. These extrusions all came from companies making sailboat masts and booms. The mast step and standing rigging on a trawler is not designed to handle the side loads that a sail will put on the rig. They are sufficient to hoist some equipment aboard and they look great but that is about it.

Last edited:
My trawler's plans shows a power assist sail and dinghy hoist--although the plans appear to call it a steadying sail. I very much like the look, but my wife says no! I still may inquire about price and installation.

Anyone know someone I could speak to in the St. Pete, Florida area?

Attachments

• Vashon Plans.jpg
    Vashon Plans.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 47
All really fascinating info, thank you all!

OH!!! I just got word that my offer on the trawler was accepted!!! Contingent on survey and sea trial soon.

Maybe I'll sew up a simple canvas sail to try out on her. If nothing else it could look cool...although I agree that the boom might turn out to be a PITA sometime.

Thanks again, folks!!!

Congrats on your offer. Hope the sea trial and survey go well.

Sail

My GB 32 came with a steadying sail on a cute little furler. Tried it a few times at anchor in SF Bay. Fair amount of work to rig properly. At anchor in about 15 mph wind speed it seemed to reduce sailing around the anchor a bit, but not much. Maybe more effective in higher wind speeds but not really worth the effort a wind speeds 15 mph or less.
Oldersalt

"Everything on your boat is broken. You just don't know it yet."

I have no idea why some are saying that trawler masts and booms are not suitable for sails....

Maybe some and I agree looking at the rigging, but more than a few either came with them, had them as options or owners fitted them.

My mast could EASILY carry a steadying sail in its triangle....not a storm sail in 50 knots of wind...but at that point I would probably be abandoning ship for other reasons.... :)

And NO, steadying sails are NOT riding sails so of course they don't do much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom