Rust on MarineAir AC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammy999

Thinking of making an offer on a Mainship 34' Pilot. It seems the condensation drain tube is clogged on the AC unit and there is standing water in the tray. The water is brown from the rust that has formed in the tray and on the bottom of the AC components. My questions are does the unit need to be removed and all the rust cleaned off to prevent future damage? Or, has the damage already been done? How long does it take before rust forms? The broker thinks it was only a couple of days. The unit is 14 years old. Thanks for any insights!!

Some A/C units have stainless steel condensate pans, but yours obviously doesn't. It may have been going on for some time and certainly more than a few days, but it isn't going to rust through immediately.

I wouldn't do anything drastic like removing the compressor, but I would scrape the rust clean and then coat with Rustoleum zinc coating. It should last for quite a few years more that way.

The condensate drain goes down to the shower/condensate sump/bilge pump that is down in the bilge at the forward end of the engine. Make sure it is working and clean it out. Then blow back up to clear the obstruction.

David

Stainless steel or plastic condensate pans have been the norm with MarineAirr for quite some time. This indicates the unit is older and sooner or later will need replacing. The newer units are more efficient and also have split capacitor fan motors instead of the shaded pole motors used back then.
And the Broker works for the seller, tell him to put his words in writing and see how fast he backpedals.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom