Old 06-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #21
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"You only need it for a fraction of a second and thatís where the Supco comes in. My old 5K btu unit needed over 3000 watts to start and the Honda just couldnít do it

A unit to help start a big load is fine , but how does a claim to use less amperage once started work?
It doesnít claim to reduce the running load. It just helps get the compressor moving. The run load remains the same.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #22
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by toocoys View Post
Mine says LRA58.
As I recall my LRA was 28. That would be 3080 watts at 110 volts. I was able to start and run it with a 1000 watt generator with the Supco installed. The starting load was three times the rated capacity of the generator.

Your LRA is 58 Amps or 6380 watts at 110 volts. Thatís a little more than three times the rated capacity of a Honda 2000i. It might work but I think Iíd be more comfortable with a 3kw generator.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #23
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Most of the soft start / capacitor kits also stage what gets started so you start the fans first and let them stabilize, then start the compressor (or perhaps reversed??) When you start everything at once, that's when you get a huge peak inrush current. By staggering start times of various components, you make several smaller peaks and that's less taxing on a marginal generator.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #24

City: Jackson,MI
I second this suggestion. Since power is always likely to be a limitation, you need an AC that has a variable speed DC motor and drive as part of the original spec. The mini split acís are pretty cheap to buy and primary cost long term is going to be the cost to run the thing. Or one can buy a system like this for <$700 and canibalize it so that the part that usually goes on deck can be re-packaged to install down below with the condenser replaced with a refrigerant to water heat exchanger so that you dont have to deal with air ducting, heat load and noisy fan. With a proper setup one may be able to run a modest sized unit off some solar panels in a sunny environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwesson View Post
Some things to consider. I read and wasn't sure what you already owned.

A split AC setup would be very efficient, Built in soft start, might last longer than a rooftop a/c and be much quieter(I have a rooftop 12k btu coleman) and it's crazy loud. the downside is you'd have to mount the compressor somewhere on deck. They are popular in the islands and i've seen many with brackets hanging off the back of the flybridge for space(doesn't look great).

My portable 8k BTU LG doesn't use much energy and puts out tons of cold air. Just as much as the 12k rooftop, less than half the price, and quieter. I suspect an honda 2000 would run it no problem.

Harbor freight sells inverter generators that get really good reviews.. Should cost half as much as a Honda(if you don't already own one).
Wolfcreek01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #25

City: Seabrook
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1967 Chris Craft Commander 31'
I opened up my unit just to see whatís in there. I think the red circled part is the capacitor but thereís 7 wires going to it. Thereís also another supco part which I assume is the starting capacitor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	77A8A17E-AC78-4A20-8685-887068AD1A92.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	77342   Click image for larger version

Name:	9DDBC149-7DD5-4A10-94BE-8CF5D8D15A00.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	77343  
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Lake Ontario
Vessel Model: Trawler Shopping 35-40'
Lotta leads for a dual-value capacitor, but it might be if a relay is integral.

The second photo is of a transformer, which steps the voltage down for 24V for low-voltage controls.
TomandJeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #27

I wonder if that’s the original capacitor from when it was 240v?
Old 06-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by toocoys View Post
I always thought it couldn't be done, but a boating friend of ours told us about the Dometic Smart Start. He is able to run his 16,000btu unit on his Honda eu2000 but the only problem is that it needs more gas every 4-5 hours.

Our I.T. guy just came into work and overheard us discussing things, and he mentioned the $20 Supco SPP6E. He states that it's a capacitor that has to be installed on the actual A/C unit, but makes it easier to run while on the generator.

(He also mentioned that the Yamaha 2400 has a 30 second surge when it needs it, whereas the Honda does not, but thats another discussion.)

Since my unit is already modified and out of warranty, I see no reason not to install the Supco SPP6E before completing the full install and save a little money in the long run.

Has anyone heard of these? Used these? Have any input on them?
Boats and RV's are similar regarding Air Conditioners, Microwaves etc on generators.

The trick is not to match the wattage of the appliance - but to know the surge required for start-up. In RV air conditioners, they have a 'soft start' so they don't overload the generator. It's the compressor kicking in that causes the issue.

I think the best example is from the show "Green Acres" where they plug things in and out when they're needed so they don't blow a circuit LOL

Calculate your needs. And in any case - a generator likes to be 'exercised'. Once it's on - leave it on for a while. And when you cycle it off - don't turn it back on right away.

Here's the episode link for Green Acres "You Can't Plug In A 2 with a 6": http://dai.ly/x3o6a80
markajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #29

City: Houston, TX
Vessel Name: Contango
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot
I run my 7K AC with a Honda 2000 using a Smart Start. It works fine. For gas, YouTube Honda extender range tank. They are easy to build, about $50, or you can buy a factory extender for the Honda for about $150.
wgibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgibbons View Post
I run my 7K AC with a Honda 2000 using a Smart Start. It works fine. For gas, YouTube Honda extender range tank. They are easy to build, about $50, or you can buy a factory extender for the Honda for about $150.
The Honda's are great - VERY versatile. A lot of people look at them and the price and opt for something cheaper. Problem is they end up with the Honda later. Would have been cheaper to get it to begin with.
markajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:21 PM   #31

City: Jensen Beach
Check out EasyStart from Micro-Air, https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=30176048267
We just installed this device (on an Airstream trailer) and we can now run our 15K Dometic AC with our Honda EU2200i generator - which we've converted to run on propane. Magic!
HClews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #32

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Name: Sunrise
Vessel Model: Gemini 105mc
Send a message via Skype™ to The Brockerts
A/C generator setup

I run a Mermaid 12,000 BTU unit on a Honda EU2000i that has been converted to run on propane. Dometic Smart is installed to help with the starts. I have installed a Relay with a delayed off setting so I can automatically turn off the ECO mode on the EU2000i before the compressor load starts. A few minutes after the A/C is running the ECO relay turn ECO mode back on and the EU2000i then runs at about 2/3 capacity. With dual 20lb tanks and automatic switch over I get 2-3 days of running before needing to change out a tank.
The Brockerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #33

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Lindy L
Vessel Model: Seasport 24 Explorer - sold. Trawler next?
Easy Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by HClews View Post
Check out EasyStart from Micro-Air, https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=30176048267
We just installed this device (on an Airstream trailer) and we can now run our 15K Dometic AC with our Honda EU2200i generator - which we've converted to run on propane. Magic!
And the installer that will be adding solar panels to my Airstream Interstate Class B will also be installing an Easy Start as part of the project. The van is equipped with a 2.5 KW propane generator and is marginal for start up, especially if there are other loads when the AC compressor starts.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:56 PM   #34

City: Maryland
Soft start with inverter

I have an 8000btu portable stand up type unit I was going to try with my magnasine 2800 watt inverter that has 1200 ah battery capacity. I can do the basic math but real life may be very different. Has anyone opened up one of these A/C units and been able to add a soft start capacitor? No idea of the LRA on this Haier unit.

If I could cool off Boat with big genset running a couple hours then shut down and just have this in master cabin for 6 hours or so I would be thrilled. Between the 17kw kubota genset and the 16k btu marineair unit it is rather loud.
Eddie and Gail
Sea Ranger 47PH
Eddieandgail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:46 AM   #35
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
http://www.roadtrekchapter.org/uploa...tCapacitor.pdf

Here was a howto to start one using a gen. I added a SPP6 to my house AC heat pump and it then easily started off my 8000 watt generator.

Stories abound that many are able to start their RV air conditioners using a Honda EU2000 or Yamaha 2400i, or other small wattage generator. How are they able to do this while others can’t? Chances are they have modded their RV’s air conditioner with a hard start capacitor.

Today you can pay more and get the SPP6e electronic relay version.https://www.amazon.com/Supco-Electro.../dp/B0071OXD8E

One reviewer says it burnt, so could be the non electronic version may be better, dont know.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:58 AM   #36
FF
Guru

Some day , if competition among noisemakers gets heavier , we will get Honda style gen sets that produce electric that is fed to an inverter.

The joy is the juice is fine with enough power and the noisemaker can run on variable RPM, just above what is RPM needed , not constant 1800 or 3600.

It could even be part of a system , that accepts various cruddy dock power and works as a power & isolation transformer.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:36 AM   #37

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Name: Sunrise
Vessel Model: Gemini 105mc
Send a message via Skype™ to The Brockerts
Can you start the A/C with the EU2000i ECO switch ON?
The Brockerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #38

City: Boca Raton, Fl.
My 2000 labors a little and the cap is a good idea. I installed a gas cap with threaded pipe nipple 4 in. long into tank. Then hose off the main tank. Good seal but not quite enough extended run. Fuel pump gives up at 1/4 tank but does draw from main for awhile. Any idea for fuel pump to help out?
Parmela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #39

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Bear in mind the little units aren't intended for constant duty cycles. Adding a larger tank puts you in a position where you're running it harder and longer than intended. That and you're likely to start skipping past maintenance cycles required every 100 hours. They're great little generators, but don't kid yourself about running the AC, pulling near capacity, for days on end. They're just not rated for that, especially without proper maintenance.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:42 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Bear in mind the little units aren't intended for constant duty cycles. Adding a larger tank puts you in a position where you're running it harder and longer than intended. That and you're likely to start skipping past maintenance cycles required every 100 hours. They're great little generators, but don't kid yourself about running the AC, pulling near capacity, for days on end. They're just not rated for that, especially without proper maintenance.

The co-captain has absolutely NO interest in roughing it at anchor, so the likelihood that we'd actually use it for more than a single night once, maybe twice a year is slim to none.

Of all the places we cruise to, I can only think of one that doesn't have dock amenities. And its a place up a river where you put your bow into the bank and tie off to a tree.