Old 09-22-2015, 09:49 PM   #21
Guru

City: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Great advice Peggy!

Now outhouse.....Does a chair with a toilet seat strapped to the bow pulpit work?
I could envision a Bumper Dumper attached to the bow pulpit instead of the transom.

HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:34 PM   #22
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Hey semi, i've got several old crowns and jabscos in my shop if you would like to have that JUNK. After payin the big bucks for an Atlantes I will NEVER own or work on any of that old antique crap again. Spent to much time doin that. Dont really need a 454 starter motor in my turlet. But if you like it good on ya.

kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #23
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
+2(?) for Raritans Marine Elegance. Also have heard good things about Tecma.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:44 AM   #24
Guru

City: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
+2(?) for Raritans Marine Elegance. Also have heard good things about Tecma.
The Marine Elegance Raritan Marine Elegance has been the top rated electric macerating electric toilet from the day it was first introduced. Tecma is also a fine toilet...in fact, it revolutionized the industry when it first came onto the US market in the early '90s. It was originally an Italian toilet made for the "megayacht" market that Wilcox-Crittenden introduced into the US market--the first one with had a "grinder" than could even chew up a tampon and a pump that could shoot bowl contents up to 90 METERS. Till it came along, the best any macerating electric toilet could do was digest quick dissolve TP and move bowl contents 6-8'. The engineers at Raritan and Jabsco immediately jumped on developing equipment to compete with it...even SeaLand, who's only toilet was the VacuFlush, introduced their first macerating toilet--a private label of a Tecma clone, the SaniMarin. Raritan's Atlantes Freedom was their first competitor to the Tecma. The Marine Elegance was next, a major upgrade to both. Raritan has recently updated the Atlantes Freedom to use the same "Vortex Vac" as the Elegance.

So, as I said earlier, there have been MAJOR advances in macerating toilet engineering and technology since the early '90s...the Marine Elegance, the Tecma (now owned by Thetford, btw) and now the Atlantes Freedom are three of the best examples.
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:06 AM   #25
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
I installed a pair of the Marine Elegance units a couple of years ago and switched to fresh water flush at the same time on our sundeck. They are wonderful toilets.

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 09-23-2015, 08:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
Hey semi, i've got several old crowns and jabscos in my shop if you would like to have that JUNK. After payin the big bucks for an Atlantes I will NEVER own or work on any of that old antique crap again. Spent to much time doin that. Dont really need a 454 starter motor in my turlet. But if you like it good on ya.
Sounds like you're in the repair business. No surprise that you'd rather install a nice new toilet than refurbish an old one. Likely more profitable too.

You bet I like the tried and true older pumps. The specs on the Crown show that with the old shaft driven raw water pump removed it's a slightly better performer than the Sea Era retrofit in the pumping height category. This is significant for an elevated loop such as I've installed for the water-in- the-bowl capability. As I pointed out, the amp draw, water usage, and noise levels improve considerably with deletion of the RW pump. And a simple owner rebuild costs a fraction of the cost of new. What's not to like. Old doesn't make it junk or crap. The headmistress says it's the only unit she'd recommend for a work boat. Works for me, as I'm not a fan of the throw away/remove and replace protocol. The $500-$1000 saved will find a better use.

Sure, I could use a working motor as a spare if you're looking to get rid of stuff. No use for a pump section as I'm confident my rebuilds are good for another 25 years. PM me and I'll send you an address to send the motor....I'll pay shipping.
go-planing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #27
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
The Marine Elegance Raritan Marine Elegance has been the top rated electric macerating electric toilet from the day it was first introduced. Tecma is also a fine toilet...in fact, it revolutionized the industry when it first came onto the US market in the early '90s. It was originally an Italian toilet made for the "megayacht" market that Wilcox-Crittenden introduced into the US market--the first one with had a "grinder" than could even chew up a tampon and a pump that could shoot bowl contents up to 90 METERS. Till it came along, the best any macerating electric toilet could do was digest quick dissolve TP and move bowl contents 6-8'. The engineers at Raritan and Jabsco immediately jumped on developing equipment to compete with it...even SeaLand, who's only toilet was the VacuFlush, introduced their first macerating toilet--a private label of a Tecma clone, the SaniMarin. Raritan's Atlantes Freedom was their first competitor to the Tecma. The Marine Elegance was next, a major upgrade to both. Raritan has recently updated the Atlantes Freedom to use the same "Vortex Vac" as the Elegance.

So, as I said earlier, there have been MAJOR advances in macerating toilet engineering and technology since the early '90s...the Marine Elegance, the Tecma (now owned by Thetford, btw) and now the Atlantes Freedom are three of the best examples.
We actually have two Generations of Raritan heads in our boat. Originally we had two Atlantes Freedom's but the PO replaced one (not sure of reason) with the Marine Elegance. Otherwise both heads work well.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #28

City: Memphis
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
Update:

Pulled the aft head this weekend and installed all new seals, impeller, and joker valve. Also THOROUGHLY cleaned everything while it was apart. Wow, what a difference! No more backflow and it actually smells almost okay in the head

Next step is to do the same for the forward head and then begin the hose replacement process.

For anyone looking to do this job on their head, this is the kit I used for my Jabsco 37010 toilet:

Jabsco 37040-0000 Marine Marine Electric Toilet Service Kit (37010 Series)

Amazon.com : Jabsco 37040-0000 Marine Marine Electric Toilet Service Kit (37010 Series) : Boating Heads : Sports & Outdoors

clynn is offline   Reply With Quote