Replumb with PEX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’m a big fan of Sea Tech fittings. They are very easy to use. You just cut the tube to length and shove it into the fitting. No special tool needed and they are easy to disassemble also. The fittings are reusable if you need to make changes.

I'll second this. Had several as well as QEST, which are similar on my boat. They make it extremely easy to switch out or add equipment and fixtures. Good customer service too.

When I installed the PEX tubing I created a manifold with an isolation shutoff valve and drain plug and also a small valve that I can use as both air valve and antifreeze from my 5 gallon bucket. It literally took me 15 minutes to connect the bucket, fill it with antifreeze, turn on the pump and walk around to all my sinks and deck wash-down, and disconnect everything. Winterizing just became a thing to do no longer a chore.

A picture of that would be great if you had one. Understand if it's already put away for the winter though.

BD

One other point not mentioned is diameter of PEX to use.
Many marine supply places carry 14mm tube & fittings where the building supply places carry 1/2 inch.
They are close but not interchangeable so you need to decide and plan accordingly.
That's good info. I didn't know the marine stuff was 14mm. Thanks.

I clinched/pinch clamped (as suggested by Rick B.) using the following tool...

Not one leak ever on first try and this one handed tool made it easy to do fitting way back...out of reach with 2 hands.

The second link is to Aqua-pex ...I think I used it because of it's flexibility.....though I forget now.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-...aXDDpYcFcaIzXxYvcIBoClTkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Wirsbo-Uponor-F1040500-1-2-AQUAPEX-100-ft-coil-2173000-p
That way out of the way, and out of direct sight, is exactly what I am looking at. I will have video up on my YouTube channel, Buena Ventura Life, in a day or two of what the freshwater lines in the aft head look like. There is hot and cold in to a pair of T's with one line to the sink faucet and a second line to the shower faucet.

Being able to do a tight connection with one hand while watching on a cell phone is important.

Whoever invent shark bite fittings is up there with the inventor of Air Conditioning IMO. Love those things.

That's good info. I didn't know the marine stuff was 14mm. Thanks.

Our Navigator has 15mm primary lines around the boat and the one larger line from the tank to the pump is 22mm.

14 mm = 0.551181 inch
1/2 inch pipe is 12.7 mm
I am wondering if these are reference numbers and not actual exact measurements.
would a 14mm be same as 1/2" in actual product

14 mm = 0.551181 inch
1/2 inch pipe is 12.7 mm
I am wondering if these are reference numbers and not actual exact measurements.
would a 14mm be same as 1/2" in actual product

No, they are different, so you need to be sure you know which you have. And the quick connect fittings are different too. Some are metric and some are SAE. Whale, for example, are predominantly metric.

If you go the SAE route for PEX, the biggest assortment of fittings and tools that I've found is at supplyhouse.com. Their tubing is PEX A, which is required for the Uponor system. They also stock many valves and specialty fittings that are hard to find.

Last edited:
Our Navigator has 15mm primary lines around the boat and the one larger line from the tank to the pump is 22mm.
I stand corrected...
I believe 15mm is the frequently used size on many boats and inch sizes common for household use.
They are close but not interchangeable
Sorry for any confusion

There is no standard size Pex for marine use. I sold both inch and metric tubing and fittings. I did sell more inch fittings and tubing.

I have only done homes and a few splices on boats. In homes we used 3/4 runs with 1/2 T'd off to fixtures. In boats we used 1/2.

I will try and get a picture this weekend.
I am told you cannot interchange the Metric with Standard. Boat supply stores have limited and pricey metric, Home Depot and Lowes and Amazon have cheaper standard.
There may be a difference but I couldn't find one.

I am told you cannot interchange the Metric with Standard. Boat supply stores have limited and pricey metric, Home Depot and Lowes and Amazon have cheaper standard.

SeaTech has fittings that transition between metric and SAE, if that helps.

I have learned a few things in this thread. One very important thing is I did not know there were SAE and Metric PEX. I will be taking that in to account as I go forward. I not like to be in the Caribbean and have to go for a PEX part and it not fit on the boat.

I have learned a few things in this thread. One very important thing is I did not know there were SAE and Metric PEX. I will be taking that in to account as I go forward. I not like to be in the Caribbean and have to go for a PEX part and it not fit on the boat.
That's what I have learned. I always used home grade stuff. I really haven't done enough on boats to consider that experience with PEX on boats. Just a couple of repairs using house grade stuff. All 1/2 inch but seemed to work. Knowing there's two different measurements, SAE/imperial and metric, I think I'll be keeping some supplies and tools on board.

Just to clarify...
I posted inch & Metric are not interchangeable and I stand by that.
There was no intent to imply they are different quality or properties. Either one should work fine and the inch sizes are generally much more available in home supply stores.
My point was meant to alert owners to the above and the need to make a decision when modifying or refitting systems aboard.

PEX Manifold

4F955003-4821-49A5-9FCC-3A232284F0CD.jpeg
Not sure the picture downloaded? It seems I have a leak at the 3/8-1/2 inch shark bite. I’ll fix it in the spring.

I used the box store chrome hose valve. Not sure how long it will last?? Anyone know of a PEX to garden hose valve other then the chrome ones?

My boat, like others above, is plumbed with metric and sea fit. The sea fit fittings are really nice, easy to use. But they can be tough to find and expensive when you do find them. I haven't had much luck with metric in home stores.

I've been using these people recently. They are well priced and offer a large selection. I ordered some spare parts and spare tubing to keep on board for emergencies. The nice thing about these kind of parts as spares is that they are light, don't take up much space and don't corrode or degrade if they get damp.

here's the link: https://www.freshwatersystems.com/?...0Lm5ldCIsICJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIkhDTXY0NCJ9

Does anyone know if the gray pb lines in my Grand Banks are metric or SAE?

I re-plumbed all the domestic water lines on an '83 Gulfstar 44 a couple of years ago. I used blue for cold and red for hot.

Like many other things, the final choice is a compromise / combination. Some important factors (for me) included:

1. Potability - there are different grades with regard to how the water might be affected
2. Temperature range
3. Straight vs curved
4. Price
5. Availability
6. Versatility - some systems have more fittings than others
7. Adaptability - to other systems/devices on your boat
8. Tools

After research, I decided to go with the Whale Quick Connect System. All in all very happy with my choice.

General Specifications:

Fittings are made from Glass-filled Polypropylene WhaleX Piping is made from Polyethylene

15 mm, Whalex Red Tubing:
Designed for Hot water lines
Maximum hot water pressure is 90 psi
Maximum hot water temp is 150 degrees F / 65 C

15 mm, Whalex Blue Tubing:
Designed for Cold water lines
Maximum cold water pressure is 180 psi
Maximum cold water temp is 68 degrees F / 20 C

Minimum bend radius is 2.95 inches

Standard Whale 15mm Tubing is made from medium density polyethylene, and the WhaleX is made from high-density polyethylene. They both have the same temperature and pressure rating for sustained use, but we test the Whalex tubing to withstand 3x its rated pressure (2x for the standard tubing).

Good chance you have Polybutylene Plumbing.
It was a cheap plumbing material that was quick and easy to install.......but had many problems later on.
The inside diameter of the Polybutylene (grey) is slightly different in size from the Pex. There are Pex to Polybutylene unions with the crimp ring. In the Pex section at Home Depot look for a transition fitting that allows you to crimp the fitting to the Polybutylene (grey) and the new Pex. The transition fitting conforms to the two different inside diameters.
Sharkbite should also work.

Last edited:

Good chance you have Polybutylene Plumbing.
It was a cheap plumbing material that was quick and easy to install.......but had many problems later on.
The inside diameter of the Polybutylene (grey) is slightly different in size from the Pex. There are Pex to Polybutylene unions with the crimp ring. In the Pex section at Home Depot look for a transition fitting that allows you to crimp the fitting to the Polybutylene (grey) and the new Pex. The transition fitting conforms to the two different inside diameters.

Thank you. Is on my to do list.

Just to clarify...
I posted inch & Metric are not interchangeable and I stand by that.
There was no intent to imply they are different quality or properties. Either one should work fine and the inch sizes are generally much more available in home supply stores.
My point was meant to alert owners to the above and the need to make a decision when modifying or refitting systems aboard.

I was an early adopter w/15mm metric pex before it was in ‘inches’ in the box stores.
If I had it to do over, it’s certainly more convenient now everywhere in 1/2”
but I’m committed...
Duncan
M/V Turning Point

Compatibility

Also, check to make sure of the compatibility of the brand name and type of PEX piping you are going to use with the brand name and type of fittings. Years ago, when I updated a house, they were NOT all interchangeable. I do not know if things are different today.

Todd

Pex on your boat

We just replumbed our entire boat with PEX. The new pipe was easy. Getting the old copper out took longer than adding the new pipe.

We just finished about 3 weeks ago but so far no leaks. We can turn off the pump for days, turn it back on, and it still has pressure. I am pretty happy with the results. Time will tell how it holds up long term.

It was a full weekend project on our 36 foot Krogen Manatee with 2 people. Make sure you allow enough time for yourself.

I’m a big fan of Sea Tech fittings. They are very easy to use. You just cut the tube to length and shove it into the fitting. No special tool needed and they are easy to disassemble also. The fittings are reusable if you need to make changes.

When a poorly installed SeaTech fitting failed in my boat, I played heck finding a replacement while PEX was available everywhere.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom