Old 07-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #21
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpilot View Post
I agree they are ugly, but I can probably mount and hook up the better looking of the two-that is the RV type unit for $1200-1500 dollars-total. The mermaid cost plus hiring the installation would probably cost me three times that.
You should really look at Ocean Breeze, I want to say that my 18000 btu unit was only around $1,800. That was a few years ago, but worth a look....

Here is a link: Ocean Breeze Marine Air Conditioning - Home

I did the install myself, they were very helpful. As I said earlier, if I did it again I would get the analog control panel.

Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #22
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Does anyone have a basis for noise comparisons between Mermaid, Cruiseair and Marineairre 16kBTU units? Maybe someone has one brand in one cabin, another elsewhere aboard and could comment...or un-installed one/re-installed another? I am after a QUIET unit.

Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #23

Good question. Places available to locate the second one would be in the sleeping area and noise level could very well drive the selection. Thanks
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
Does anyone have a basis for noise comparisons between Mermaid, Cruiseair and Marineairre 16kBTU units? Maybe someone has one brand in one cabin, another elsewhere aboard and could comment...or un-installed one/re-installed another? I am after a QUIET unit.
I don't have a comparison of compressor noises, but they all seem pretty close to me. The quietness level will be determined by location, how well the unit is set on dampers, and how the duct work is located. If the return air is returned right to the unit, it is an almost guarantee that it will be noisy. Breaking the supply ducts into different outlets will reduce the air flow per register, and make it much quieter. Also having the supply outlets away from the unit will make it quieter.

I once had a sedan 2 state room trawler. I put an air handler under the center of the V berth. It was around the corner from the blower so fairly quiet. The cabin doors had louvers and so did the locker doors. I used the hanging locker as a free air return to the unit in the side stateroom. No supply duct in there. It was our sleeping cabin. It had good air circulation, and was very quiet. That may not work in all situations.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote