Old 09-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Repair parts for windlass

Hello everyone; I am new to your forum. Can anyone help me find a source for repair parts for a Stephens Model SW1 windlass. It functions properly but is leaking some oil out of the sides of it. Thanks
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Russel:

I have never heard of that manufacturer. Have you googled them?

The oil leak sounds like it is in the gearbox. Take it apart. Almost everything that could cause a leak is generic- gaskets can be made and bearings and seals purchased at an industrial bearing and seal shop.

Only if the gears or shafts are chewed up would you be facing a replacement.

But this is the sort of thing that unless you do the work yourself and you have reasonable mechanical skills, having someone else to the work is probably not going to be economical. And FWIW that type of skill is rapidly going the away in this country.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Thanks for the response David. I have put this on my"things to do this winter" list.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:11 AM   #4
FF
Guru

"But this is the sort of thing that unless you do the work yourself and you have reasonable mechanical skills, having someone else to the work is probably not going to be economical. And FWIW that type of skill is rapidly going the away in this country."

However if machine work is required , a boat yard "mechanic" would be a disaster.

IF you can, take it apart , and see whats needed , then reassemble very loosely .

I suggest a Hyd shop .

They are used to diverse repairs and rebuilds.They have standby time waiting for the breakdown repairs "on the quick" that pay the bills.

SO tell them that its an infill project , you don't need it for a couple of months.

Frequently the labor cost will be minor.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Fred is absolutely right. When I wrote my post above, I thought: what kind of shop would have the skills to tackle this job. A hydraulic shop, particularly one who rebuilds pumps and motors would have the skill to take the geabox apart and source the seals and bearings to fix it.

Any yes, a boatyard mechanic would likely be a disaster.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote