Remote boat monitoring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Can anyone recommend a good cheap remote monitoring system, or a DIY system maybe? The main thing I want to monitor is a shore power failure at the marina that would kill my expensive house batteries (fridge is 12v only). Also bilge water level would be nice. Needs to be cell based since I don't have wireless at my slip.

I googled and saw:

Boat command. $299 base unit. Plus cell plan. Looks like lots of wires to run.

Siren Marine. $499. Looks similar to boat command.

Some others that were crazy high.

I have had a cell monitoring system for several; years now, monitors doors, windows, hydro failures, motion sensors, smoke/fire, carbon mon, you name it. Sensors can be hard wired or wireless. Batteries for wireless last about three months. System phones up to four numbers when alarm is tripped. Upon answering you have a menu choice which includes listen in or speak to intruder, reset system, etc.

Has worked well with no false alarms since I've owned it. Cost with everything was about $300. Cdn, thats about $25.00 USD. I use a Tmobile sim card and prepay it for a year.

Very easy to instal. Shop around, stay away from so called marine alarms, there are many choices on ebay with more options and they are dirt cheap.

Here is the one I bought, not recommending it but have no complaints.

https://www.rockmountelectronics.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=41

We have remote monitoring and cameras 24x7

You can choose your system based on what you want.

I use a sensaphone WEB 600 and it works great

You can also use the IRIS by lowes. I have one of those at home and am still debating wether to put one on the boat. It would do everything you've asked for and then some.

Simply safe.
It's a home wireless security system. The base station needs a Verizon or a T-Mobile GSM and a tinny wall transformer to keep it's battery pack charged. The base station is 7.5v at 1.6 amp. I'm sure someone could come up with a dc to dc charger for that.

The system has smoke sensor, water alarms, entry, motion, glass break, carbon monoxide, freeze, and they might have more. The 105db siren. Mmmm nice.

For the plan that text you everything that happens (door open, system turned on or off) is $19.99 a month. The one where they call when something happens is $14.99 a month. There is a smart phone setup that's $29.99 a month. Depending on your needs the free plan works good with 2 105db sirens on the deck someone will call the cops to get it cut off.

I have about $300 in my system, but got most of it on sale. I have not had any issues with it in 4 years.

Just a question on a similar subject: Are there any concerns on the remote operation/monitoring control systems whereby someone has the potential of hacking and starting the vessel? Similar to the car recalls for those type systems. Just wondering.

Just a question on a similar subject: Are there any concerns on the remote operation/monitoring control systems whereby someone has the potential of hacking and starting the vessel? Similar to the car recalls for those type systems. Just wondering.

Not if you do not have any outputs tied to your ignition

Ok, thanks everyone. I will check into the ideas.

My approach is a little different than some...

I think the optimum, (abeit not the least expensive route) is to build out the network first to support your choice of devices.

Then pick devices to run on that network.

Once you have the network in place it's easy to get creative with things. Not just remote monitoring, but things while you are onboard.

For example we have an apple TV. At $99 this gives access to our Netflix, Hulu, and Itunes account from the TV.

Cameras then become easy starting at around $50

The laptop connects automatically, so we have internet.

The list of things having a network onboard provides goes on and on.

Last edited by a moderator:
My approach is a little different than some...

I think the optimum, (abet not the least expensive route) is to build out the network first to support your choice of devices.

Then pick devices to run on that network.

Once you have the network in place it's easy to get creative with things. Not just remote monitoring, but things while you are onboard.

For example we have an apple TV. At $99 this gives access to our Netflix, Hulu, and Itunes account from the TV.

Cameras then become easy starting at around $50

The laptop connects automatically, so we have internet.

The list of things having a network onboard provides goes on and on.

I like your approach but don't feel like I have the skill (or really the desire) to implement all that stuff yet.

I just found out I allegedly have wireless at my new slip, but obviously I don't know how good the signal is. Seems like I should be able to use the marina wireless to monitor things, but it's probably not that simple.

You could build something DIY with Arduino for far less than $100. You would need the GSM shield for the cell connection. I might have to put that on the project list for this winter. Sounds like a fun one. Here is the shield: Adafruit FONA 800 Shield - Voice/Data Cellular GSM for Arduino ID: 2468 - $39.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

I know this is an old post but, I built one using arduino, I monitor engine temp and oil psi, bilge pumps, smoke, fire boy, shore power and battery state. I don't use gsm as I have very reliable internet at the dock.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom