Old 06-30-2015, 03:29 PM   #41
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
My Norcold installed new on boat in '98 is still working extremely and inefficiently well.
That's a good summation. Other than the short period a few years ago when we thought it was failing, our Norcold has performed as advertised but it is definitely not the most efficient unit on the planet as far as power usage is concerned. Better efficiency would be one advantage of upgrading to the Isotherm we'd picked out but we decided to keep the Norcold as long as it was willing to run properly.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:26 PM   #42
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
MikeM we have been pleased with the Summit refrigerator freezer we installed to replace a Norcold which never worked very well. You might check them out at Home | Summit Appliance . The FF874SS which was sized to fit into the same enclosure as the Norcold has been replaced by FF1085SS a 10 cuft model but with a height of 59.5" which on the Manatee would mean losing the lower cabinet storage. Anyway just a thought, the Summit is quiet, frost-free and was a great choice over the standard marine priced units.

Ditto here. Had a late model 8 cubic feet Nevercold, after failed was a Tundra T80. Again never cooled well. I fit the SS Summitt in about 2 years ago- and have been smiling ever since. 110 AC works great for us.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Old 07-01-2015, 06:52 AM   #43
FF
Guru

Damn shame they (Sunfrost) do not have some more approiately sized models.

With thick insulation the interior volume would get too small for the cost
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:13 PM   #44

City: Lake Lanier, GA
Vessel Name: Miller Time part deux
Vessel Model: 1995 Carver 355
Replaced the PO Lowes mini fridge with Isotherm 195. Couldnt be more pleased.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2322.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	41659  
n36511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:33 PM   #45

Two sep compressors. AC/DC. Nominal amp draw. Have to keep it well ventilated.... but what compressor does not need to be well ventilated?
Old 07-02-2015, 10:49 PM   #46
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Here is our Summit fridge in the place where the Tundra T80 was. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435891763.812554.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	41662

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 07-03-2015, 06:52 AM   #47
FF
Guru

"but what compressor does not need to be well ventilated?"

Any water cooled unit , or fitted with a freon keel cooler.

Our engine driven Eutetic set up has sea water engine intake for coolant . and lives in the engine room with no decrease in cooling capacity.

Custom and pricy tho.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:15 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"but what compressor does not need to be well ventilated?"

Any water cooled unit , or fitted with a freon keel cooler.

Our engine driven Eutetic set up has sea water engine intake for coolant . and lives in the engine room with no decrease in cooling capacity.

Custom and pricy tho.

Very cool. I didn't even know that existed for refrigeration.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:22 AM   #49
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Engine driven and sea water cooled refrigeration is wonderful, although generally expensive. One downside is that you do not have refrigeration on the hard. For some of us this is an issue.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:02 AM   #50
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Engine driven and sea water cooled refrigeration is wonderful, although generally expensive. One downside is that you do not have refrigeration on the hard. For some of us this is an issue.
We had a great cold plate system on our last boat. 1/2 hp DC compressor that pulled down 3 plates, 2 in the freezer and 1 in the fridge. Run time was less than 3 hours per day in tropics and 1.5 hours in the PNW with ice cream. When we were on the hard one time, we plumbed the system into one of the 75 gallon water tanks. We had an algae boom when the water got up 100 degrees. Starting dumping ice in. No help. It sounded like a good idea.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #51
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I've been kicking around the idea of replacing my 2 Summit 3 drawer units with a custom built fridge/freezer, heavily insulated, maybe 4 to 6 inches. I have the holding plate/compressor unit from a deck freezer, its keel cooled and would work great. I can build the enclosure to fit the available space and even with lots of insulation still have more capacity. This is normal stuff on sailboats but us yachties general dont do it. Has anyone here done it or have anything like it ?
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:09 AM   #52
TF Site Team

I have seen custom built holding plate with engine cooling on a couple of cruising motor boats/trawlers in the Caribbean. In two cases they were full time live aboards cruising at anchor all year. Expensive. More of the energy benefit came from the insulation, not the engine driven compressor. I looked at the economics when I replaced my system and decided to go with decently insulated Isotherm units with Danfoss compressor and spend the extra money on an additional solar panel.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #53
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
I've been kicking around the idea of replacing my 2 Summit 3 drawer units with a custom built fridge/freezer, heavily insulated, maybe 4 to 6 inches. I have the holding plate/compressor unit from a deck freezer, its keel cooled and would work great. I can build the enclosure to fit the available space and even with lots of insulation still have more capacity. This is normal stuff on sailboats but us yachties general dont do it. Has anyone here done it or have anything like it ?

Mike wasn't just into custom rudders for his boat but he enjoyed his custom fridge/freezer too.

http://www.mvfullstep.com/Refer1.html

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #54
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We had a great cold plate system on our last boat. 1/2 hp DC compressor that pulled down 3 plates, 2 in the freezer and 1 in the fridge. Run time was less than 3 hours per day in tropics and 1.5 hours in the PNW with ice cream. When we were on the hard one time, we plumbed the system into one of the 75 gallon water tanks. We had an algae boom when the water got up 100 degrees. Starting dumping ice in. No help. It sounded like a good idea.

I saw a great idea a few years ago, a commercial fish boat was on the hard and needed to run a genset in the yard.. they found a old aluminum skiff and had it sitting under the boat.. they filled it with water and had it aligned so the water out of the exhaust dumped back into the skiff when the generator was running... recycling the water. The aluminum boat shed enough heat to make it work.. fisherman engineering at its best.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:09 PM   #55
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
I like it!
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:15 PM   #56
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
I am not sure how you figure a 110v volt Refer uses less current. The Summit, on their website states that their 18 cu ft model draws 1.5 amps @ 120 volts. Convert that to watts. 120x1.5= 180 watts. Convert that to 12volt amps.
180/12= 15 amps, compensate for inversion and resistance losses at 10% you are at 16.5 amps at 12volts. Modern 12volt units run at about 1/2 that.

A home refer may be the ticket for your boating style but there are vast differences in amps drawn while running.

Mule: you may be missing the difference in cycle-on times. A typical (Vitrifrigo/Isotherm) 12v 'marine' refer cycles on 50% of the time. The superior insulation of a domestic 110/240v model reduces cycle-on times to 25%. So the quoted draw may be somewhat greater, but that is overwhelmed by halving the cycle-on time.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #57
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
Mule: you may be missing the difference in cycle-on times. A typical (Vitrifrigo/Isotherm) 12v 'marine' refer cycles on 50% of the time. The superior insulation of a domestic 110/240v model reduces cycle-on times to 25%. So the quoted draw may be somewhat greater, but that is overwhelmed by halving the cycle-on time.
Read post number 9. I did not miss it, just did not know run time. Run time is a very important factor. Should have mentioned that earlier. The FF mentioned Sun Frost reaaaaaallllly looks good until you get to the sticker.
Mule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:10 AM   #58
FF
Guru

"One downside is that you do not have refrigeration on the hard. For some of us this is an issue".

The Adler Barbour folks made their living creating Eutetic reefers starting in about 1960.

Mike Adler patented the concept of having 2 freon circuits in each plate,

The big coils were mechanically driven the small coil was fed with a 1/5 hp dockside 120v can style unit.

The advantage of a mechanical drive is time. A good car air cond compressor will go 10HP on a warm box , which slows down a lot at the 1/2 frozen point as the ice on the coil is an insulator.

WE could go 4 days (chose 3 for safety) on 2 hours of engine on time ., when not moving.

On a larger boat a large scroll style compressor might be operated for the first hour of noisemaker time , and reduces load and load shedding used for the remainder of the cooling period.

6 inches of insulation is the point where more is seldom much better.

In the day ( 60s 70s)freon blown urathane was the best , today?

Theoretically vacuum is best , but it has had too many failures as side wall insulation.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #59
TF Site Team

I used a Kill-A-Watt meter on my old 110v refrigerator/freezer. I have an inline meter on my current Isotherm ac/dc units with Danfoss compressors. Less than half, possibly 33-40% of old 110v units.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #60
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Just ran across this if anyone is interested.

Portable Refrigerator/Freezer - AC/Dc - 1.7 Cuft - 52 Qt-pplmotorhomes.com

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote