Old 06-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Flywright and I should come to inspect it to ascertain whether it is better stocked than your previous Norcold.
Still no beer in the frig...that's where we keep the wine. The liquor cabinet is well lighted, Dave. You shouldn't have a problem this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	liquor cabinet.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	41502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wine.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	41503  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:03 PM   #22
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
The problem I have with my Summitt units is when I get to the boat and load up the fridge the WBF causes them to take forever to cool down. I have started freezing bottled water in my freezer and filling the lower drawers with that. Helps tremendously.

kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:39 PM   #23

City: Virginia Beach
Vessel Name: Tuscan Sun
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Thanks to all for the info. We currently have a Novacool...9 years old. Someone recently referred to them as "Nevercool." It is currently running 44 degrees in the reefer and 20 in the freezer.

It has a Danfoss compressor which has three speeds. It comes from the factory running at the slowest (lowest power, but also lowest cooling capacity) speed. To change speeds, you add a resistor. I am going to call Novacool tomorrow to see if this is something that I should try.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:51 AM   #24
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Thanks to all for the info. We currently have a Novacool...9 years old. Someone recently referred to them as "Nevercool." It is currently running 44 degrees in the reefer and 20 in the freezer.
Haven't heard that WRT NovaKool. AFAIK, it was often Norcold that was called Never Cold.

-Chris
Old 06-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #25
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Vitrifigo Drawer Unit Question

Quote:
On our third year with Vitrifigo two drawer unit. Wife could not be more pleased. Easy access. Good capacity for the size. Very quiet. Efficient. Two 140W solar panels are sufficient to run it 24/7 and keep the house bank topped up. And it looks nice.
Dave...
I'm assuming your Vitrifigo is fridge / freezer. I'm on third season w/ a similar one in our Mainship but the freezer doesn't get cold enough to freeze...even on the coldest setting, It does a great job on keeping beer really cold but that's all.
I was wondering if it's the nature of the beast or if I need to have someone look at the unit.
Any info appreciated.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:47 AM   #26
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
I have the two drawer Vitrofirgo and the freezer stays very cold (about 0 F) on the middle setting. Have you defrosted it? If that is not it I would call Vitrofrigo. I had to call when I installed mine and they were great to work with.
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:50 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Dave...
I'm assuming your Vitrifigo is fridge / freezer. I'm on third season w/ a similar one in our Mainship but the freezer doesn't get cold enough to freeze...even on the coldest setting, It does a great job on keeping beer really cold but that's all.
I was wondering if it's the nature of the beast or if I need to have someone look at the unit.
Any info appreciated.
Have had no problems with the freezer drawer. Mid setting is cold enough to keep items frozen solid. As Rogerh said, time to call support.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Walt , That is one sweet looking interior . Was this custom built ? Nice woodwork .
Old 06-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #29
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
As Rogerh said, time to call support.
Thanks Dave & Roger...
I will do some investigating. Glad to hear others like their units.

Don
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:17 PM   #30
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Time correction I just went and checked the temperature it's about 14 degrees read on a thermometer
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:29 PM   #31

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Dave...
Any info appreciated.
How is the ventilation behind the unit? I added a cool air intake fan and hot air exhaust fan behind my Vitrifrigo drawer system. The fridge comes with a fan that blows on the coils, but that may not be enough without some ventilation to remove the hot air.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Intake.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	41539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	41540  
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:38 PM   #32
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Allegedly my Frigoboat keel cooled units use about 25ah per unit per day. They have Danfoss compressors and variable speed controllers.

One one of our recent overnight anchorages we used 21% (105amps) of the house bank according to the Balmar Smartguage I recently put in. I had the anchor lights on (have not switched them to LED yet) and maybe one other LED interior light was left on. Obviously something else was on or my fridges are pulling more than I thought.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:59 PM   #33
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Walt , That is one sweet looking interior . Was this custom built ? Nice woodwork .
The interior is standard 2006 Ocean Alexander Altus. The lighting, however,is all LED and colored laminate lenses by my wife. She uses standard 2 watt LEDs and makes discs by tracing around the actual lenses. The 8 X 11 sheets of colored plastic can be bought in just about any hobby store . Since the LEDs are not hot, there is no danger of fire. Just about any color can be achieved with this method and the 2 watts (or even 1watt LEDs) are dirt cheap.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0520.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	41541   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0497.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	41542  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

City: -
When some five years ago or so we thought the undercounter AC/DC Norcold refrigerator/freezer on our PNW boat was going on the blink we started researching a replacement. After reading a lot, looking at user reviews, talking to some owners of various makes as well as some of the authorized factory service centers in the area we settled on an Isotherm unit.

We were all set to buy one and install it when the Norcold decided to fix itself. We have no idea what the cause of its problem was but it's been running flawlessly 24/7/365 since then.

But nothing lasts forever.The Norcold was installed on our boat by the PO some 18 years ago and it's never been shut off since we bought the boat 17 years ago. So when it does finally decide to call it quits we'll replace it with an Isotherm unless we find something better has come on the market since doing our initial research.

As an aside, one of the makes we investigated was Novacool. I talked to the factory authorized Novacool service center in Seattle, who at the time was also a Novacool dealer. Much to my surprise the manager referred to the Novacool and "Nevercool" and strongly advised us not to buy one. He recommended other makes over the Novacool, ironically Norcold among them, and was very favorable toward Isotherm. So we took Novacool off the candidate list although we've never met anyone personally who's had a problem with them.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:37 AM   #35
FF
Guru

One thing to remember is insulation is the barrier between thr outside the box temperature and the inside the box temperature.

Stick the unit in a closed closet in the wall (even with a fan) and the outside the box temp may be 10-30 deg higher than free air temperature.

The compressor unit works harder trying to get rid of heat , and the insulation is less successful with raised temperatures all around.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:00 AM   #36

City: Virginia Beach
Vessel Name: Tuscan Sun
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I opened up the enclosure last night at the suggestion of the NovaKool technician. Just checked the temps. Still 42 and 20. So lack of airflow around the units does not appear to be the problem. I'll call them again this morning to give them the numbers and see what they recommend.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #37
Guru

My Norcold installed new on boat in '98 is still working extremely and inefficiently well.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:27 AM   #38
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Novacool

I replaced my Norcold with a Novacool unit that had the freezer compartment on the bottom. In the California Delta that wasn't a good idea. The freezer worked great but the refrigerator section could not handle summer heat. I had icing problems with lines to the evaporator in the refrigerator. This unit had the compressor cooling coils under the unit with plenty of ventilation. Novacool service help was very good however this was not a good design for my conditions. I currently use a household 120 ac unit which on my boat with the battery capacity and all electric galley is not an issue as to electrical consumption. I really like the cooling and freezing ability of a large household unit with it's ice make and large freezer section. I have a friend with a Vitrifigo upright two door and it appears to be a nice unit. Not nearly as rugged inside as my Maytag with glass selves rugged crisper drawers and real ice making ability. Most of the marine units are RV quality.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #39
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
I gotta say, if you have the space and cash, FF keen eye on Sun Frost is the best way to go based on the published specs. 3400 dollars and 34 inches wide...only $100 an inch. VERY efficient though. Damn shame they do not have some more approiately sized models.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:59 PM   #40
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
MikeM we have been pleased with the Summit refrigerator freezer we installed to replace a Norcold which never worked very well. You might check them out at Home | Summit Appliance . The FF874SS which was sized to fit into the same enclosure as the Norcold has been replaced by FF1085SS a 10 cuft model but with a height of 59.5" which on the Manatee would mean losing the lower cabinet storage. Anyway just a thought, the Summit is quiet, frost-free and was a great choice over the standard marine priced units.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3973.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	41560  

HiDHo is online now   Reply With Quote