refrigerator freeze up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomsboat

Vessel Make
Mainship Trawler
I have a Nova Kool refrigerator on my 40 ft trawler.If i keep it cold enough for food and drinks the coil will freeze up in a few days.I then lower the temperature and after the ice melts off the coil raise it again.What is causing this.Tom

Are the door gaskets nice and tight and the door closing properly? We defrost our Nova Kool monthly or so.

I agree about the door seals and the door.

A dollar bill or just a piece of paper should not fall from the seals and you should feel drag when it is pulled. If not then maybe the seal is failing or the door needs some attention. Ensure nothing is preventing the door's full closure. I always give mine a push to check. Once in a while I have found something interfering with full door closure.

I too have a NovaCool and it does need to be defrosted from time to time but no where near as often as yours.

I agree about the door seals and the door.

A dollar bill or just a piece of paper should not fall from the seals and you should feel drag when it is pulled. If not then maybe the seal is failing or the door needs some attention. Ensure nothing is preventing the door's full closure. I always give mine a push to check. Once in a while I have found something interfering with full door closure.

I too have a NovaCool and it does need to be defrosted from time to time but no where near as often as yours.

Now I see the problem. Been using a Loony for that test.
Ours gets defrosted about once a month, in hot weather. The door fit is always problematic. Ours gets a solid shove after every closing.

refrigerator

can you get new gaskets and if so much of a problem to put them on?

Could the unit have been overcharged with refrigerant?

IF door seals do not help, I am afraid you are going to have to live with this.
It has to do with the humidity building with the open and closing the door.
Thee is a thing called Stainless Lobster that seems to force a defrost based upon your setting.

Back
Top Bottom