Old 06-14-2019, 05:14 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
One Head or Two for 45' or less Boats?

So I'm looking at the website for the new Nordhavn 41. It has one head. My Cherubini 45 has one full and one half. While there are many 2 and 3 stateroom boats that sleep a dozen including 2 on the dining table, that need 2 full heads, how many do you need for a 1 or 2 staterooms forward boat? More may be better, but I keep viewing my master stateroom half head, and wonder how awesome a closet I could make out of it. It's not going to happen, but I'm curious what you think about more storage or more head.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 40 Sport Sedan
I have 40' sport fish sedan with a single head for the two forward berths. I wouldn't want another one. In addition to loss of usable space, it's an additional maintenance item (and a gross one at that).

I think layout has as much to do with it as anything else. Some of the layouts with the master at stern and a v-berth seem to make more sense having two heads.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #3
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Having just had a toilet shit itself last week I was grateful for the second one being available while I waited a week for parts to arrive.
All up and running again.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:00 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Having just had a toilet shit itself last week I was grateful for the second one being available while I waited a week for parts to arrive.
All up and running again.
As with a single engine boat, I would expect to have every part that can break or wear out, in the spares department on the boat. For most heads, that would be about 2 shoeboxes worth of space.

Ted
Old 06-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #5
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Master and second stateroom on SCOUT. One head. Already a TON of storage, but I wouldn't give up any of it for another head.

I have the two shoeboxes worth of spares.....
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We have 2 staterooms and 2 heads. We want both of each. There are times even with just the 2 of us that we use both heads. 95% of the time we only use the aft head if it is just us, but there are times when things get urgent that we do use both heads. When we have guests both heads get used.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:06 PM   #7
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
]
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
As with a single engine boat, I would expect to have every part that can break or wear out, in the spares department on the boat. For most heads, that would be about 2 shoeboxes worth of space.

Ted
Slowly getting there,
Plenty of spares for engine, genset , electronics
I have a second toilet as a spare but, now I also have a box full of bits x 2 for them as well.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:17 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
1.5. I simply think having the second sink and toilet is worth it. One shower is livable.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #9
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Our last boat was one stateroom, convertible dinette, one bath. One of the reasons for upgrading was to have real guest space. Now we have two staterooms with private ensuite baths. Do we have guests often enough to need it? Not at all.....but when we do.....it’s really nice to not share the head. Hindsight being 20/20, we should have made one of the heads composting when we replaced them both two years ago.....but we didn’t know then what we know now.

Bottom line.....to me...two is better than one.
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
We have 2 staterooms and 2 heads. We want both of each. There are times even with just the 2 of us that we use both heads. 95% of the time we only use the aft head if it is just us, but there are times when things get urgent that we do use both heads. When we have guests both heads get used.
Certainly in a fore and aft cabin boat, one head is probably not realistic if you have to go during the night.

Ted
Old 06-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #11
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Two staterooms and two heads . . . plus acres of storage. (Thank you, Art.). Would not change this.

When we replaced the heads, we plumbed the master stateroom to a Purasan—not to a holding tank. This saved a long hose run to the forward holding tank, greatly reduced pump outs and is legal in most of the areas we boat in. When we’re in non-discharge areas, the forward head is still plumbed to the holding tank.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:01 PM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Liveaboard like 2 heads, when one is broke and you gotta go.

Heads candy have. A lot if storage space and still be a functional head.

Everything on smaller boats is a trade-off. .. I am keeping a second head which is neither a lot more work or gross.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #13
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Two. We have been through multiple head failures and would not have less. One new electric and one nearly new manual. No working head is a cruise stopper. Granted we could all use a bucket as last resort but who want to depend on that plan.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #14
Guru

City: Seattle
Blessed art thou with an RV head in thy boat - one is all you need!
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:08 PM   #15
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
It is interesting to compare to earth dwellings. It would be difficult to imagine a 500 sf apartment with two bathrooms but many 40'-50' boats have two heads. People are shy about using the head, personally I feel that adults should recognize that everybody poops. Having a well maintained head with adequate spares to keep thing running is my preference but I can understand others wanting some privacy and reserve the reserve capacity of a second head. Every boat is a compromise and personal values are important to consider.
Gdavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #16
Guru

City: Boston Area
I think this one comes down to personal preference, and boat useage. If you are a solo cruiser 90% of the time, with occaisional significant other accompanyment, a single is probably fine. If you are usually a couple and have other couples along on a regular basis, two would be better. If you are 5 twenty something, beer drinking guys doing day trips.....a bucket might be sufficient ( just in case both scuppers are occupied )
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:57 PM   #17
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Two staterooms (plus dinette that makes a dbl) and two heads with seperate showers- and they all are getting used Has the orig Galley Maid toilets with huge pumps and tons of lines, and uses lots of water - all coming out soon to be replaced with Raritan Marine Elegance per advice of the Head Mistress.
FoxtrotCharlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:20 PM   #18
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Our last 40’ sailboat had two cabins, two wheels, and two heads. We did have one occasion when one head failed and we were glad we had the second. However, when I replaced the failed head with one with a decent design, we never worried about failure again.

My current 43’ trawler has two cabins, two helm stations, and only 1 head. I don’t miss the second head. I’m much happier having the extra space than having precious boat real estate taken up with a head. Granted, the most we have had on the boat for an extended period was 5 adults.

My “if I only could afford a new boat it would be....” boat is the North Pacific 45. This is offered with several layouts. At least one has a separate head in the master cabin. I would NOT select this layout. It sacrifices storage just for another place to relieve yourself and brush your teeth. Even though I’m old and have a prostate the size of a grapefruit, I don’t spend enough time in the head to make it worth the space.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:58 AM   #19
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Our last boat and our present boat (both 42') both had two heads. Having a spare is really nice when something goes wrong. I wouldn't want to cruise with just one again unless I was soloing it. It's possible for sure, but it sure takes a lot of stress out to have two, especially with guests aboard.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #20

City: Charleston
Vessel Name: THIRD CHILD
Vessel Model: KADEY KROGEN 48AE
The second head on our boat is wonderful marital stress reliever- even with infrequent synchronous use of both. If you have a second person, i.e. spouse, on the boat, living aboard for even a few days at a time, I would go with their preference.
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote