Go Back   Trawler Forum > Maintenance and Systems > Other Trawler Systems

Old 08-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #21
City: Seattle

if I have read correctly, your main concern is that you don't want to carry a large amount of fresh water because it is excess weight and may affect the rolling motion of the boat.

I think you will quickly find these are things not be worried about. For us, in a 58', 50 ton full displacement boat, we carry 400 gallons of fresh water. That is 3,340 lbs or just over 3% of the boat's displacement. It has no effect whatsoever on any aspect of the boat's performance whether the water tank is empty or full. In fact, you will find will quite quickly that all the "stuff" you put on the boat weighs a lot more than the fresh water you carry.

As to affecting the rolling motion of the boat, if the boat is well-designed, the water tanks will have no effect on the motion of the boat whether full or empty. The designer will have placed them, and accounted for the water weight, so that there is no effect.

As to watermakers, there are many that are relatively straightforward and, I dare say, are much more proven and can be maintained at less cost than systems you are looking for. You can have all the fresh water you need.

As to heating the water, you can use solar, engine heat, 12vDC water heaters, 110V/220V AC waterheaters or even instant hot water heaters. It can be done efficiently and still provide all the hot water you will ever need.

THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #22
TF Site Team
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
We carry 200 gallons of fresh water

Have a 20 gallon water heater, electric and engine heated

And a 7gph water-maker

We take long showers, wash clothes, dishes, and even our heads use fresh water.

We never run out of water, either hot or cold.

water recirculation is 100% unnecessary

As far as stability, full water tanks, low in the hull would tend to add stability to a boat.

Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #23

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
How about a salt water shower system then switch to fresh to rinse off?
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:34 AM   #24
City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Yeah - OK, I'd have to agree with most of you. There is no way to keep water recycling simple.

If you want a looooong hot shower, most marina have them. On the hook, a swim and rinse suit me just fine.

I try to keep things as simple as possible. I've got enough projects on my list without adding more maintenance issues.

Although - a hot tub on board would be nice in winter. I've seen a few nice ones on converted fishing boats in the old fish hold.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #25
City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Typical Shower Water Usage

The WaterGeeks *::*Water Consumption

I've lived on two boats in my past, and I've had lots of 'quick showers', low pressure showers, 'room temp' showers, etc. I want something better this time.

Found this blog entry on dealing with water restrictions and suggestions we revert to FOUR minutes showers both amusing and thought provoking.

Originally Posted by Excerpt
"The four minute shower has been quite a challenge for me. Previously, I have liked to daydream in the shower, or just stand there for what must have been five minutes at a time with the water massaging my scalp and shoulders. But there is no time for dreaming of massages in the four minute shower. None at all. Itís all business. From the moment the water temperature is right, itís a sprint to the end: Shower gel. Check. Loofah. Check. Hands. Arms. Underarms. Feet. Calves. Thighs. Torso. Front. Back. Quick. Scrub away dead old skin cells and sweat. Face wash. Check. Forehead. Neck. Dťcolletage. Plunge my head under the stream of water. It canít matter if itís too hot for your face. Must get rid of the soap. Quickly. Taps off! Phew."
BTW, if you have an older showerhead, you may be using lots, lots more water to shower. "There are older models that run as high as 5-8 gallons a minute. That means a 10 minute shower could be using 80 gallons of water every time, plus the electricity or gas to heat it! Not all showerheads are that wasteful. They have become more conserving since the 1970s, resulting in lower flow rates in newer homes. Due to a number of factors, average flows are more likely to be near 4 gpm. But that's still 40 gallons of water for a 10 minute shower."

Lets see 40 gals per day times 2 people....that's 80 per day. The 7 days a week, that's 560 gal per week. Do I really want tanks big enough to offer this sort of supply, and/or a watermaker operating that often to make this supply? .

.....When I might find some ways to conserve and still get that nice high pressure soothing shower?
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #26
TF Site Team
City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Brian: Most recreational marine water systems run at 3-4 GPM @ 45 PSI full on. Take a look at an EcoFlow shower head with 5 spray settings, rated at 1.6GPM. A ten minute shower is only 16.5 gallons. Our water maker is rated for 24 gallons per hour. We could double that by adding an other membrane. We usually run the generator about 2 hours per day for charging batteries, hot water and making water. We cruise with 2 adults and a dog. The dog gets rinsed at least twice per day after his beach walks and swims and we shower at least once per day plus wash the boat as needed.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #27
City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
How about a salt water shower system then switch to fresh to rinse off?
I'm sure some old Navy guys will remember taking a salt water shower (salt water soap) and rinsing off with fresh water. Every once in awhile you would be all soaped up (salt) when you heard over the loud speaker the announcement that" fresh water hours have ended."
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #28
City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Yep. You learned quickly the difference between fresh water and potable water too.

On a conventionally powered carrier we carried 'fresh' water for firefighting, boilers and sanitation and then limited "potable" water for drinking. I took many a saltwater shower and often with JP5 mixed in because we ballasted with our water tanks when we didn't have many aircraft aboard and it would cross over the baffles in heavy seas.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #29
Scraping Paint
City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Originally Posted by SomeSailor View Post
Yep. You learned quickly the difference between fresh water and potable water too.

On a conventionally powered carrier we carried 'fresh' water for firefighting, boilers and sanitation and then limited "potable" water for drinking.
There was no difference, it all came from the same evaporator. The only difference between distilled water (feedwater) and potable water was the position of the distillate discharge valve.

The boilers and cats just had a much higher priority than swabbies.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #30
If a monster shower is required as therapy perhaps a visit to a Therapist would be less expen$ive , and more rewarding in the long run.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote